Diablo® III

Overheating CPU, even in chat

No overheat problems here... my computer is Alienware Aurora desktop (2 years old). My Graphic card is GeForce GTS 450. Temp is 47-50C while diablo is running with default settings (High settings).

You might wanna to clean your computer/laptop for any dusts and update your drivers.

^_^
Reply Quote
No computer that is functioning properly should ever be able to overheat for any reason. If your system is overheating, you need to, after being sure that all the dust is cleared out, take it up with the manufacturer.

To test your system, you should download and run both FurMark and Prime95; the former will stress your GPU as much as possible, and the latter your CPU. You should be able to run both nonstop without any problems.
Reply Quote
I had a similar problem.

Specs:
Windows 7 service pack 1 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU q740 @ 1.73GHz
Ram: 8.0 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 435M

Windows and my drivers were updated, I had no problem playing Portal 2 in the highest graphics setting. When I started playing Diablo at first things ran fine then my game started to freeze my computer and I had to manually turn it off. When I would go to turn it on, sometimes the computer would not start until I let it cool down for a few minutes. I suspected this was an overheating issue so I raised my computer a few inches, lowered my frame rate to 60fps among other graphics specs. I downloaded an amazing program that you can set to log your temperature so you can see what it was at when your computer crashes:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

I found that with my computer raised a few inches, and settings adjusted my computer would still reach temps of 85 * C so who knows how hot it got before. After it froze again, I immediately purchased a fan but the damage was already done. I was able to log in a few more times, this time my computer would start freezing randomly, not just in game. Sometimes I could play for an hour, then only 15 min, then 5 minutes, and finally my computer died.

Dell sent me a new mother board (and video card since it's built in), fan, and heat sink. I cleaned the vent while the technician was replacing things, the vent had some dust but nothing too crazy.

Now, with my computer raised, fan blowing under it, 60fps, new hardware, and clean vent my computer will max out at 77*C and will usually hover around 74*C while killing things and around 65-70 while I'm in town, chat or auction house.

Hope you can save your computer before the heat permanently damages things.
Reply Quote
I updated my graphics drivers and forced the fan to run at 100% speed, and my GPU never peaked out at higher than 65C, the only times i really had trouble was with multiple players though, and I haven't tested that out yet.

Also, CPU never hit more than 25% usage on an i7-2600k Sandy Bridge
Edited by Desthro#1573 on 5/17/2012 9:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm having problems with my GPU overheating. Within 5 minutes my card starts approaching 100 degrees celsius till I shut the game off. This is with fps capped at 60, all settings on low. No other game causes my card to do this, just D3. I've completely cleaned all dust from my case, and it still happens. I don't want to waste money and go buy a new video card if its just a problem with the game and not my card.
Reply Quote
I have had the same issue except for me it seems to work fine while I'm in game... ever since I installed and waited for servers to come up on Monday night I have had my PC power down 8-10 times... I got in and played on it last night and was able to do some very intense runs at max graphic settings and it worked great. I played for about an hour and a half. when i was done I spent about 15 mins in the auction house and it powered off again! Something isn't right here... Mine only powers off on the main menu ie. login screen for 10-15 mins, character select screen, chat, auction house... etc... pretty consistent about 10-15 mins.
Reply Quote
Not going to comment on laptops as gaming platforms, but i've found on my rig that using the auction house really gets my graphics cards fans running as it gets really hot. Even just idling with AH open does this. Weird since it calms down if I play or hang in menus..
Reply Quote
Same here, I have to back to desktop like every 10 mins to lower the temp.
Reply Quote
same issue
cpu goes wild
Reply Quote
Guys, you need to keep in mind:

Your computer should never overheat. Period. If it ever does, it is a HARDWARE problem. CPUs, video cards, motherboards, they are all designed so that they can be pushed to their maximum all day and never overheat. So if they ARE, there is something wrong with either the cooling, or the chip itself is malfunctioning. Make sure you're not living in an oven, too.

Fact is, Diablo 3 pushes the CPU and GPU harder than some other games do (yes even games that "look better", as Diablo 3 uses more shaders). Just because Diablo 3 triggers it does not mean it's Diablo 3's fault. It's your CPU or video card's fault for overheating, because there is NO reason it should. You should be able to push your CPU as hard as you want all day without a problem, there's really no excuse.

So clear your vents, make sure the fans are spinning fast, get better cooling, and if that all fails, consider that the hardware is faulty and get a warranty replacement. Manufacturers will take parts back for these issues, because it is a hardware defect if the cooling is working.
Edited by VincentLaw#1115 on 6/3/2012 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Mine has a problem just in the menu's and action house haven't had issues while actually playing.
Reply Quote
I've said this many times before over the years and I'll say it again now.

First off: I'm a LONG time gamer and long time home brewer of my own computer systems.

DO NOT game on laptops. They don't have the the fundamental ability to shed heat like a desktop does. The manufactures LIE about their products. They claim that they are gaming capable laptops but that is a crock of you know what.

And here is the reason why it is a lie. Look up the term "Duty Cycle". Laptops get severely stressed in long session gaming or any application that basically needs full throttle performance for hours at a time on all of the components.

I'm not unsympathetic to you people who bought laptops expecting to use them for gaming. But only because I know that manufactures are lying about their product. If you want to play demanding contemporary games, get yourself a gaming PC.
Edited by Floode#1885 on 6/6/2012 3:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
CLEAN YOUR COMPUTERS!

I played the open Beta for about 15 mins, at which point my CPU hit 93 degrees Celsius.

I promptly closed D3, and did not return to it because my computer>D3.

I have however corrected the issue;

1-Google a guide! for the dismembering, I mean dismantling of your laptop. I highly advise against going in blind.
2-Buy a can of compressed air
3-Buy a small(if laptop) tube of thermal paste(this is a MUST if you intend to fix your laptop)
4- Follow step-by-step taking apart your laptop while following the guide (did you print it?), down to removing your fan assembly, which is what you want to clean.

Notes:

-If your fan assembly is also your heatsink, there will be spots of thermal paste that must be removed, and replaced. Not ignored, not pasted over top. Removed and replaced.

-I recommend arctic silver thermal paste.

-To removed and replace thermal paste, take concentrated rubbing alcohol (iso-propyl alcohol, find it in your parents medicine cabinet) I used 99%, the higher the concentration the better, less than 70% is not recommended because of left behind residue. Dip a q-tip in it, begin wiping off the paste. Repeat until clean. Follow your disassemble guide for instructions on replacing thermal paste (typically 0.2g, aka. a very thin layer is all that is required to cover the chips below the heat sink.)

-Take your fan assembly outside, HOLD STEADY the fan blades, so they do not rotate, and spray them clean with your canned air.

-There may be thermal pads as well as thermal paste. I did not touch my thermal pad, as I could not buy a new one retail.

-Do not try and blow air from your external air vents into your laptop. The dust is in there already, you won't be helping the issue.

My results:(Laptop)
Prior to cleaning: D3 on Power Saver mode was running at 93C, and climbing. General use on Power Saver I was running around 65C. Balanced and High Performance were not even touched.

Post cleaning: D3 running on High Performance 60C to 65C, Balanced for general use ~40-45C, Power Saver is not touched.
Reply Quote
I've said this many times before over the years and I'll say it again now.

First off: I'm a LONG time gamer and long time home brewer of my own computer systems.

DO NOT game on laptops. They don't have the the fundamental ability to shed heat like a desktop does. The manufactures LIE about their products. They claim that they are gaming capable laptops but that is a crock of you know what.

And here is the reason why it is a lie. Look up the term "Duty Cycle". Laptops get severely stressed in long session gaming or any application that basically needs full throttle performance for hours at a time on all of the components.

I'm not unsympathetic to you people who bought laptops expecting to use them for gaming. But only because I know that manufactures are lying about their product. If you want to play demanding contemporary games, get yourself a gaming PC.

I bought my Lenovo W500 within the first few months they were released. It is a Workstation Notebook with dedicated graphics with drivers meant for rendering, capable of mediocre gaming.

This laptop was my web browsing, class note-taking, evening gaming and late night homework doing, working machine! The receipt is dated for I believe September 30th 2008. My battery has a cycle count of 556, and I haven't actually cycled it in about a year because it only lasts 25minutes when using a web browser or writing a report.

I disagree with you that laptops cannot be using for long-term gaming, and would suggest a better way to describe the difference between a desktop and laptop when gaming.

Your desktop is like a hippie girlfriend that likes to hug trees, smoke illicit drugs, and has crazy wild nights in bed,

where as;

Your laptop is that that high-maintenance girlfriend that you have to constantly impress, and buy things for to keep, however she is just as good in bed.

What my analogy is saying, is that your desktop can sit for years and years and years, and be happy. You may never put a dime into maintaining it, or a minute into cleaning it, and it is going to live on until the day you replace it.
Where as a laptop, if you do not take care of it, it is going to overheat and die an early death.
Reply Quote
I disagree with you that laptops cannot be using for long-term gaming...
You can disagree all you want. I've seen this play out thousands of times, just like it is now in this thread. Hot off the shelf contemporary games tear up laptops. Again, go research the term "duty cycle". You'll begin to understand why.
Reply Quote
Why there is still no official reaction? Blizz don't give a #&@$ about it? Is that price for damn all time online system? No piracy, but let's punish everyone who dare to pay!

Anyway it kinda looks like HDD problem. Point is: is HDD used by game somehow extremely, while playing? Does it download data to pc, what is not able to saving them and also run game from same HDD at same time? Weirdest thing is, graphic settings doesnt affect that at all. And of course, every other more ambitiousness game runs perfectly ok!

EDIT: This was just theory, problem solved by drivers update. Dont know witch one, I updated those I found outdated.
Edited by Michelangelo#2852 on 6/22/2012 3:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
same here computer shuting down after 5 mins in d3 from the latest patch
Reply Quote
same
Reply Quote
It is funny how people say "clean your hardware, it's your fault it overheats" when people have been saying that everything works BUT Diablo III, not to mention we have people suffering the same symptoms on newer systems. Does this mean DIII has the highest GPU requirement ever? I do not think so.

I would say it is a game issue, but it is too complex to actually tell what is the main issue. Tons of people play without any issue, while some suffer these heat issues.

Just remember vsync is your best friend. Also FPS capping. I think the game will process excess material and push your GPU or system until in breaks if you do not limit it. Other than that, it should be fine. If ATI has a PhysX element like nvidia, make your CPU handle the load as well. I have noticed that PhysX on GPUs will make your GPU heat up +10c.
Edited by Scherbatsky#1528 on 7/11/2012 7:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Add me to the list. My gaming computer has to go to into the shop now.
It is NOT a laptop and has THREE fans.
I'm now forced to use my iMac.
Edited by Lilith#1879 on 7/11/2012 7:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]