Diablo® III

Which diablo book to start with?

I've found this archive on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-Archive-Richard-A-Knaak/dp/1416576991/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335244008&sr=1-4

it contains four books, then ive seen the book of cain, and the new one on may 15th. Are those others good and worth a read? Should I read them before i start book of cain or the order?

ive played diablo 2 when it first came out, a bit rusty on the lore but d3 has gotten me interested once again.

edit: just found the sin war trilogy and spider of the moon books also. have i missed anything? if anyones knowledgeable on the order of which i should read these books id greatly appreciate it.
Edited by Sezemer#1670 on 4/23/2012 10:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Depends on how quickly you read and a few more considerations.

If you can read 1100 pages before release:

If you think you can read "The Sin War" trilogy in time, then start with that as it is the only story that is canon as of now. Afterwards go directly to the "The Book of Cain." After that read all released issues of "The Sword of Justice" (the Diablo III DC comic). By then you should be right in time for "The Order" so read that. After that, the rush for lore is over and you can pretty much everything else in whatever order you want with a few exceptions. "The Kingdom of Shadow" looks like it is going to be made canon soon, it wouldn't be soon enough for you to worry about it rushing it too hard, but keep that in mind. As well, you should read "The Kingdom of Shadow" and "The Sin War" before "Moon of the Spider" although it is not absolutely necessary.

If you can't read 1100 pages before release:

Because there is less than a month before release, I want to say that you should start with "The Book of Cain." Yes, you will spoil "The Sin War" for yourself, but I don't think you can finish the trilogy before May 15th. You can always not read the section about The Sin War, but it itself as well as events happening during, before, and as the result of it are mentioned very frequently. As I said, start with "The Book of Cain," "The Sin War" trilogy, all released issues of "The Sword of Justice" (the Diablo III DC comic), and then "The Order." After that, the rush for lore is over and you can pretty much everything else in whatever order you want with a few exceptions. "The Kingdom of Shadow" looks like it is going to be made canon soon, it wouldn't be soon enough for you to worry about it rushing it too hard, but keep that in mind. As well, you should read "The Kingdom of Shadow" and "The Sin War" before "Moon of the Spider" although it is not absolutely necessary.
Edited by Chris#1235 on 4/24/2012 2:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would be careful with The Sin War trilogy, the actual story is interesting but the author is pretty well known for being terrible and it shows, so it tends to be a better idea to read the Boook of Cain.
Reply Quote
thanks pixel, very informative, you've made my decision!

04/24/2012 04:35 AMPosted by Ascleph
I would be careful with The Sin War trilogy, the actual story is interesting but the author is pretty well known for being terrible and it shows, so it tends to be a better idea to read the Boook of Cain.

didnt knaak write both the sin war and book of cain?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Book of Cain is credited to Flint Dille. So far as I can tell, Knaak had nothing to do with it. I didn't mind Knaak while reading the Well of Eternity Trilogy a few years ago, but I just finished reading George R.R. Martin so the drop in quality is very noticeable to me. I'm almost done with Birthright, and I'm starting to doubt my ability to sit through 2 more books of his.
Reply Quote
I recommend reading the Sin Wars trilogy first.
Then reading Book of Cain.
There will also be Diablo III: The Order released on May 15.

The other Diablo books are more stand alone pieces. I haven't read the comic.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]