Diablo® III

Lag Is Going To Be A Huge Problem

This is a copy of a thread i made a few months ago, though i feel it much better suits "our" section of the forums.

I was planning on making a video showcasing this but my fraps is playing up.

Hi,
First of all, this is not a thread whining about the difficulty of Inferno, or any other part of the game, i really want this game to be brutally hard, and i will love it that way, and always will.

I am an Australian who will be playing with a 200+ ping the majority of the time, and i know many others are in the same situation as me.

I am really worried about our ping making the harder parts of the game nigh unplayable/frustrating.
I know the combat and movement feels really good due to the way Blizz has developed the game, which is excellent, but the Monster to Player interactions are still very much affected by the 200+ ping.

So in the later stages of the game, dodging projectiles, avoiding exploding enemies etc. etc. is going to be vital to survival. Try dodging an arrow after it has been fired with 200+ ping, or escaping an exploding monster when you were close when it started exploding. Yes you are out of the way of the arrow/monster on your screen, but you still take the damage, and with the extreme difficulty this means death. This will be a deal breaker for me, yes i am still getting the game, but if i am unable to progress through content due to being hit with projectiles/explosions that is no fault of my own, i cannot devote alot of time as i really want to, and planned to.

I have built my pc recently just for this game, and have spared no expense, and i have the quickest internet connection available to me, also have the top modem, cables, etc etc,And will use proxy servers if i have to, there is nothing more i can do.

Would really love a blue post on this situation.

Are there any other 200+ ping players worried about this?

TL;DR, Lag is already a problem relating to projectiles in the easiest part of the game, wait till inferno.
Edited by Betrayer on 4/21/2012 7:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I was on 220, it felt fine in the open beta :) I was concerned when I first installed the game and started playing before the install was done, it was pretty crippling but when it finished that cleared up and it played pretty well. But I soon had bad experiences a few patches later with terrible rubber banding and inexplicable jumps in latency when line tests were showing everything was fine, and I was concerned it wouldn't be playable for me. To see it working smooth now under a stress test, gives me a lot more confidence.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Even on hardcore D2 ladder with 350MS, I still managed to stay alive 90% of the time. I'll get around 200-220ms with D3, that's not ideal but more than acceptable/viable for anything D3 with throw at us.

Oz always get's shafted but what can you do... and we have some of the highest broadband prices in the world for a first world country.
Reply Quote
Here is the thing though, Blizzard gave us a really awesome SEA server for Starcraft II, where I get 70 ms from. Granted, I am on the West Coast, and I am physically closer to Singapore (SEA Server) than Sydney, but it remains the same. They gave us a server with a really low latency.

So what did the Eastern states do? They cry and complain about the delay - granted, a very few minority were getting routed through the USA back to Singapore, but for the majority they were getting routed through Perth to Singapore. Because the server was not physically located in Australia, and because as a whole, we are damn bloody racist, we wanted to play with the Yanks cause damn to those Azns right? (As Australian mentality goes ...).

I for one have spent years and years playing Dota on Garena with mainly Chinese players, I have no issue what so ever with being thrown in with Singaporeans, Malaysians and Filipinos, which make up the majority of SEA. You know why? Cause as a whole, they are a whole bloody lot nicer than the average western fail troll.

We are the minority, we, Australians and Kiwis, are the minority.

I built my PC for Starcraft II, and I was there in those beginning days when we were locked to SEA. And you know what? It was a good thing. The SEA community was bloody awesome, there was no trolling, no hating, it was just a really good down to earth community. Alas, SEA was allowed access to NA, so what happened to SEA? It died. You cannot play custom games on SEA now because everyone is on NA - that is a problem with the design of SCII and Bnet2.0 - not a problem with segregating the servers. I ladder on SEA, I play customs on NA, because of the obvious - there is no delay on SEA, and the latter - there are no custom players on SEA.

The costs of running a server in Australia is huge because our stupid government privitized Telstra and they hold the monopoly on the copper and fibre networks. Blame the government, the same one that fought tooth and nails for years against R18+ gaming (remember kids, 90% of the people on the world are not bloody kids) ... yes, lets take away the rights of 90% of the population to "save" the 10%, who already know how to swear, how to do very naughty things ... -_- ... no further comment needed.

We are a small community, we do not deserve our own server, if Blizzard invested in an Australian server, how many people would play? Not that bloody many ... you know why? Cause you all cry too much saying the player base is not there and leave.

If you put your money where your mouth is and played on a Australian server rather than an American one, then yes, it would work well. But, because of an extremely low player base in Australia, it will not work, because the majority want to play with more people, so they will forsake an Australian server for NA.

We have no one to blame except for ourselves ...

Because Blizzard gave us the chance with SEA in ScII, and we told them to go get ...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
^^^

Thoughtful post about the whole SEA situation. Australian can be like that, but yeah I don't see Blizzard ever catering for NZ/AU ever again.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/21/2012 09:57 PMPosted by Dogmai
Blame the government, the same one that fought tooth and nails for years against R18+ gaming (remember kids, 90% of the people on the world are not bloody kids) ... yes, lets take away the rights of 90% of the population to "save" the 10%, who already know how to swear, how to do very naughty things ... -_- ... no further comment needed.

Incorrect.

We didn't get a R18+ rating because to change the system we required unanimous agreement from each of the states attorney generals. For years the South Australian AG constantly vetoed any attempt to pass legislation for an R18+ rating.
Reply Quote
The four previous SA attorney generals (inclusive of current) were Labor.

Atkinson put his person beliefs (Christianity) ahead of the country's needs. He deserves to be shot.

I remain correct in my post. It is the current government that supported him, and his beliefs, therefore, Labor must take that burden of responsibility, and it fair to blame them.
Reply Quote
Im in NZ and have a pretty steady 170ping and haven't seen it go over 250ms.
No trouble at all with those numbers.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
The four previous SA attorney generals (inclusive of current) were Labor.

Atkinson put his person beliefs (Christianity) ahead of the country's needs. He deserves to be shot.

I remain correct in my post. It is the current government that supported him, and his beliefs, therefore, Labor must take that burden of responsibility, and it fair to blame them.

You mean the same labor government that is abolishing the R18 law and currently building the fastest ever fibre broadband network? If it were up to the opposition, we would all be using wi fi for the next 10 years because according to him we only use the Internet to read emails. Don't let some facts get in the way of a good story though.
Reply Quote
Im in NZ and have a pretty steady 170ping and haven't seen it go over 250ms.
No trouble at all with those numbers.

Likewise.
Reply Quote
- ANZ
So what did the Eastern states do? They cry and complain about the delay - granted, a very few minority were getting routed through the USA back to Singapore, but for the majority they were getting routed through Perth to Singapore. Because the server was not physically located in Australia, and because as a whole, we are damn bloody racist, we wanted to play with the Yanks cause damn to those Azns right? (As Australian mentality goes ...).

The Eastern states is about the same to Singapore and to the US.

The primary problem was with Optus, where their routing didn't include the cable that goes from Perth to Singapore, requiring people to go to the US and then to Singapore.

Generalising a whole country like this (even if you are a person of that country) is just wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFiAhu1ONKs&t=5m40s
Reply Quote
04/21/2012 11:49 PMPosted by Dorotan
You mean the same labor government that is abolishing the R18 law and currently building the fastest ever fibre broadband network? If it were up to the opposition, we would all be using wi fi for the next 10 years because according to him we only use the Internet to read emails. Don't let some facts get in the way of a good story though.

Yeah, but don't forget, it took them it has taken them 10 odd years to do it? :D

I like the fact that Labor is finally getting rid of the 18+ law, and I like the fact that Labor is putting in fibre to the node, and I hate the fact that the Liberals want to undo it ... but still, as said above.

The Eastern states is about the same to Singapore and to the US.

The primary problem was with Optus, where their routing didn't include the cable that goes from Perth to Singapore, requiring people to go to the US and then to Singapore.

Generalising a whole country like this (even if you are a person of that country) is just wrong.

I think you failed Geography mate, Sydney to LA is twice the distance of Sydney to Singapore. You are forgetting about the little piece of water called the Pacific Ocean, it is bloody big, especially when travelling diagonally.

But yes, the majority of people are either with Telstra (no comment) or independant ISPs which wholesale Telstra's cables.

Generalisations makes the world go round, it is the basis of any market research. It might be ethically wrong, but when you have to talk about something as big and as diverse as a country, you cannot make exceptions for individual groups, you must take a look at as a whole. (Indian Bashing in Melbourne, Cronulla Beach Riots) ... Look, as a majority Australians don't go around bashing Indians, Australians have no problems with Indians, but as a whole, they don't like them that much - not to the point of wanting to see them get bashed, that is just simply against our culture regardless of race, but more so they might complain to their mates, about just how many they see etc. This is to be expected from every single culture on Earth and this happens in pretty much every single country, so there is nothing wrong there. But Australia does have a really long history of Racism, I remember when I was a kid it was against Chinese, before that in the 50s it was against Italians, now its against Indians? It comes and goes, the same with any country, compared to most we are the most tolerant country when it comes to Race, you don't see an African walking down the street and think, That guy ain't Aussie ... no, we accept everyone as being Australian because we are so diverse, but at the same time, the best way to sum it up is kind of like this:

You have three rooms.

In Room 1, you have a White American and a White Canadian.

In Room 2, you have a Chinese Singaporean, Chinese Malaysian, Filipino and a Cantonese guy (Hong Kong).

In Room 3, you have a Brit, a Frenchman, a German and a Spanish guy.

All of them speak English.

Waiting in the lobby you have a White Australian and a White Kiwi.

Which room do you think they want to go into?

What Blizzard did effectivelly is say, cause you guys are physically close to South East Asia, we are going to put you into Room 2, you must stay in Room 2, play nice and have fun. So, that didn't go down well, we cried and complained about wanting to be in Room 1, so Blizzard said, alright, everyone from Room 2 can go into Room 1.

So now, in Room 1 you have all of room 2.

Room 2 is empty.

And Room 3 was joined by a Russian and everyone in there is complaining, cause the Russian guy doesn't speak english.

That is what happened in a nutshell with the history of Starcraft II and the servers. We are an Asian country, no doubt ... but culturally we are closer to the USA and Canada than we are even to the jolly old mother land of England. That is why Australians got up in arms over being locked in a room with people from South East Asia.

I for one was quite happy in Room 2, cause as everyone knows, Asian guys have a lot of hot female asian friends (joke before anyone takes it the wrong way -_-), but I wanted the choice of being able to choose to play on any server, not just NA. Including going to the Taiwan server and hanging out with them, cause the Chinese UMS maps own.

And as for the people I chose to be in the rooms, they are the majority game players in their specific country, I had to generalise but you get that.

I could go on and on, and yes, Cronulla Beach wasn't started by white people, and yes, its been going on for 50 odd years, we have similar problems on the West Coast.

And @Goliath, Blizzard has done more for us than any other gaming company. And I agree with you 100%.
Edited by Dogmai#6934 on 4/22/2012 7:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus

Well guess what I must be in that small minority because I was going through California to reach SEA servers. I got a bunch of Hardcores to 80+ back in d2 when pings used to be 300+ whats to stop me now when pings are 180-200? In the meantime the people I have been playing with for the last whatever years are all on US servers.
Reply Quote
04/22/2012 07:50 AMPosted by Mate
Well guess what I must be in that small minority because I was going through California to reach SEA servers. I got a bunch of Hardcores to 80+ back in d2 when pings used to be 300+ whats to stop me now when pings are 180-200? In the meantime the people I have been playing with for the last whatever years are all on US servers.

Yeah, as I said, a small minority. It was clarified later on.

But thats exactly it mate, I use to play Hardcore on a 56k modem on USwest servers, I miss my level 95 Hammerdin, complete resistance in Hell, use to be the one who teleported to Baal's throne room, cause I was the only one who could survive those electric things that use to one hit heroes out of existance.
Reply Quote
04/22/2012 07:37 AMPosted by Dogmai
We are an Asian country, no doubt

Ummmm... What?
Reply Quote

Nope, we complained because the the server population would be ridiculously small and because searching for a game for any game type other than 1v1 (or 2v2 if you were in the middle leagues) would take ages. If you wanted to play high 2s, 3s or 4s you would wait 20-30 minutes for a game. And we're not even including the lack of custom games - yes, some map makers were nice enough to upload them to SEA but many didn't.

And now SEA is pretty empty but 1v1s are still ok, which is kind of my hidden point: many of us really don't want to be restricted to an Aus/SEA type server only (we were forced to play on SEA for the first 6 months of SC2) because we want to play Hardcore mode, which is comparable to wanting to play 2s/3s/4s when most people play 1s (ie. Softcore). Playing by yourself is really boring.
Reply Quote
I play on telstra mobile broadband in far north SA.

Ping sat at about 300-330 all thru the Beta (about the same lat as my WoW would run, bit lower)

Beta played like a dream. No noticable cast delay at all, combat seemd very responsive. Only time I noticed the lat was in picking up items somtimes.

You'll be fine on 200ms
Reply Quote
I'm on an Eastern state and I ditched SEA because of the small pop and the fact the latency was no better. Sure SEA was geographically closer, and while luckily I wasn't getting routed through America to connect to SEA, the issue is, there's no direct route for me to singapore, the route is less well maintained, and has to go through more hops. The connection between Eastern Australia and west coast US is a direct line that they've been upgrading the last couple of years, so while it's further, because it's got less points to go through it works out as fast.

I feel sorry for the Western State guys, but when I hear of other games like SWOTR doing real oceanic servers I have to wonder why saving on costs has to keep screwing us.
Edited by Icey#6585 on 4/22/2012 5:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/22/2012 10:29 AMPosted by DarkMain
We are an Asian country, no doubt

Ummmm... What?

Geographically.

I personally believe that we are our own region (Oceania), but we usually get thrown in with Asia, as in the case of ScII servers. Culture wise, we are closer to America. The native aboriginals here look more like native people of the region, than they do us ... obviously ... which would make us part of South East Asia.

04/22/2012 02:14 PMPosted by Darkust
Nope, we complained because the the server population would be ridiculously small and because searching for a game for any game type other than 1v1 (or 2v2 if you were in the middle leagues) would take ages. If you wanted to play high 2s, 3s or 4s you would wait 20-30 minutes for a game. And we're not even including the lack of custom games - yes, some map makers were nice enough to upload them to SEA but many didn't.

As addressed in a later post, and I agree with you completely, but indeed, that is not how it looked to the rest of the world. But also opening up the server made it smaller, because everyone jumped ship, thus making the problem worst.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]