Diablo® III

Lag Is Going To Be A Huge Problem

Blizzard just needs to put up aussie servers with internode/iinet or something - you know - a good ISP that would actually do right by its customers! They can link them to the american servers for the ah etc but i dont see the need to play with americans as i feel we will have enough aussies playing it anways.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Never had an issue at all during the beta. Ping hovered around 220-250 most of the time (with the occasional spike above 300) but it was fine.

I have raided in WoW for years without an issue with pings between 200 and 300, I do not see this game being any different.
Reply Quote
sigh. every time an aussie says things like this it annoys me. try playing on a aussie server for any game - then go play that same game on a american server. THEN come post here if you found your gameplay experience unchanged......

I can almost guarantee you that WoW would have felt a better game for you in many ways if you had a low ping playing it. You may not realise what you are missing out on since you (like all us aussies and kiwis) are USED to playing with bad pings so end up thinking its normal or making do.

A good example of what im talking about is LoL. Last hitting mobs is VERY dependant on your ping.
Edited by Hitman#1360 on 4/28/2012 8:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
"But servers are too expensive, the AUS gov sux"
- swtor has aussie servers
- ultima online has aussie servers
- Virtually every FPS has servers

"300ms is fine in single player"
- No it's not. I had enemies casting spells before the animation had finished, spamming spells animations stuff up completely and being hit before the enemy had come close to me.
- I love how we are comparing this to WoW an MMO. Not a SP game. Why don't we compare this to skyrim or deus x?

"ANZ only wanna play with english-only speaking community"
- Nope, I would rather a ping of >100.
Reply Quote
@Dogma, I enjoy reading your post. Some of us cannot speak like the way you do. You just hit the nail there :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
"But servers are too expensive, the AUS gov sux"
- swtor has aussie servers
- ultima online has aussie servers
- Virtually every FPS has servers

SW:TOR is the modern MMO exception. Ultima Online had them because the amount of data being transferred was minuscule which kept costs down. Every FPS has servers because they are not run by the developers, they are (usually) run by ISPs as a service to their customers.

- I love how we are comparing this to WoW an MMO. Not a SP game. Why don't we compare this to skyrim or deus x?

Because unlike Skyrim or Deus Ex, the game instance is being run on an external server, not your local machine. Sure, you can make the comparison, but it would not be fair. We may not LIKE that single player games are hosted on battle.net, but thats the way it is and thus comparisons should be as fair as they can be.
Reply Quote
04/30/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Siaer
SW:TOR is the modern MMO exception. Ultima Online had them because the amount of data being transferred was minuscule which kept costs down. Every FPS has servers because they are not run by the developers, they are (usually) run by ISPs as a service to their customers.

You're kidding your self if you think its the cost of data that's holding back the implementation of local servers. Its the cost of maintenance/physical location of the servers. It'd be more like one or two rooms with x employees on call. Internode/IInet undoubtedly would do data for virtually free once a pipe has been purchased.
Reply Quote
04/30/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Siaer
SW:TOR is the modern MMO exception. Ultima Online had them because the amount of data being transferred was minuscule which kept costs down. Every FPS has servers because they are not run by the developers, they are (usually) run by ISPs as a service to their customers

How can our relatively poor (when compared to Blizzard) ISPs offer Free servers, but Blizzard cannot offer servers as a part of the unit cost? Hell I'd pay 5 bucks a month...
Reply Quote
i think most ppl would pay that too. its a bloody shame they can't cater to us. i'm a little miffed about it and i hope they decide its in their interest to do us this favour.
Reply Quote
Never had an issue at all during the beta. Ping hovered around 220-250 most of the time (with the occasional spike above 300) but it was fine.

I have raided in WoW for years without an issue with pings between 200 and 300, I do not see this game being any different.

I had better ping than you. Did you play the whole beta? Can you explain how you did not notice:
1. Animation sync problems. (hits or spells cast)
2. Minor Rubber banding or displacement.
3. Loose feeling.
4. Problems avoiding enemy attacks or problems stunning enemies before attacks had finished.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I had better ping than you. Did you play the whole beta? Can you explain how you did not notice:
1. Animation sync problems. (hits or spells cast)
2. Minor Rubber banding or displacement.
3. Loose feeling.
4. Problems avoiding enemy attacks or problems stunning enemies before attacks had finished.

The explanation for how I did not notice them is...I did not notice them. That's all there is to it. I did not suffer any of those issues you speak of. What else do you want me to say? I simply did not get affected by what you apparently did.

Actually, I tell a lie. When in a single player game, I did get very brief rubber banding when unpausing the game. It would skip me back a few steps and then it was fine.

And yes, I did play the whole beta. Every class killed the skeleton king, DH and Wizard more than a few times. I probably put in 15ish hours over the open beta weekend.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
Just clarify a few things of how world routing/fiber links run.

Fist of all you need to understand that the world is connected via intercontinental fiber runs.
This is a fairly accurate map:

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3374/seacablehibq4.jpg

There are 2 cables from WA to Asia but if you actually do a traceroute to the US WoW servers you'll find they go out via Sydney. In fact you'll most likely find that you get routed through Hong Kong which is nowhere near the most direct path but one that is probably the cheapest for your carrier and their uplink provider.

Just because a more direct routing path exists doesn't mean it will get used. It could be because the bandwidth available on the other link does not have anywhere near the capacity to handle the traffic (keep in mind we're not only talking about Blizzard data, we're talking about ALL data bound for the US from AU). It could also be because the uplink provider of Telstra/Optus/iinet/whoever does not have a contract to even use that fiber link.

Realistically if you are in AU you will never see a ping below 200 unless you start bouncing off proxy servers and using VPN tunnels.
NZ is a little different from the testing I've done. Their routing is done straight through Honolulu which is why it's not uncommon to see a 120ms ping from NZ to the US.
Reply Quote
04/22/2012 05:20 PMPosted by Dogmai

Ummmm... What?

Geographically.

I personally believe that we are our own region (Oceania), but we usually get thrown in with Asia, as in the case of ScII servers. Culture wise, we are closer to America. The native aboriginals here look more like native people of the region, than they do us ... obviously ... which would make us part of South East Asia.

Uh, geographically you're wrong. Aus/NZ is never regarded as 'Asia' except by people with bad geography. Australia is its own continent or did you forget that? New Zealand, is Australasian.

Culture wise we're closer to America? What are you even talking about. Everything-wise we are closer to Britain and thus America due to, you know, being descendent from Britain.

And finally you're implying Aboriginals are from Asian decent? You're so very very wrong. They're one of the oldest peoples on the planet and are descendent of early Africans. Tens of thousands of years ago.
Reply Quote
75 Human Priest
i am not worried i play on satellite, i am actually used to gameplay being a bit laggy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]