Diablo® III

Blizzard Must Modernize Movement in D3!

04/23/2012 09:39 PMPosted by Artemus
You can't move while attacking and attacking causes you to stop moving. Even with the current system you can see this, WASD will not change that. The only exception are abilities that specifically allow you to do both like you mentioned.

Dude, have you ever played an Action/RPG game?

Have you played the Diablo 3 beta?
Perhaps the more poignant question for ARTEMUS would be:

Do you plan on playing Diablo 3 as it is right now?
If not, why are you on these forums?
If so, why do you expect blizzard to fundamentally change a project they have been workin on for at least five years two weeks before release?
Oh God don't even mention that game, it's so low skill-cap I hope diablo never gets that bad.

Bloodline Champions is a MUCH better control setup example of how diablo's movement should play out, WSAD is just more efficient, it's pointless to use the same mouse clicks to move and aim... it's just bad play. I mean I won't be taking it that seriously since it's primarily a PvE game no biggie but still... it's the principle that counts.

Don't mention that game, it will destroy the argument that WASD has never worked out in an isometric game!
Point and click wouldn't be as bad if the hitboxes weren't that big to being with.
Blizzard Employee
Allowing WASD would provide an unfair advantage over click to move in some situations. We could of course make WASD the default control scheme, but we feel click to move is integral to the Diablo legacy and gameplay. We have no plans to add WASD or allow it.

As for your other points we don't disagree with freeing up the left and right mouse button bindings, and appreciate those and the other suggestions. We'll likely continue to make additional changes to control options after the game's release.

Allow us to bind force move

We do! It's labeled "Move" in the key bindings.
Allowing WASD would provide an unfair advantage over click to move in some situations. We could of course make WASD the default control scheme, but we feel click to move is integral to the Diablo legacy and gameplay. We have no plans to add WASD or allow it.

As for your other points we don't disagree with freeing up the left and right mouse button bindings, and appreciate those and the other suggestions. We'll likely continue to make additional changes to control options after the game's release.

Allow us to bind force move

We do! It's labeled "Move" in the key bindings.

Weren't you going to bed, Bashiok?
Might I suggest:
1) Move/Interact button in addition to the Skill 1/Move/Interact button.
2) A stop all movement button (shift does not do this, it only works if you use an ability while holding shift)
Edited by Lemius#1767 on 4/23/2012 10:24 PM PDT
Marlaina, you are playing the wrong game.
90 Troll Mage
My first misgiving would be that Blizzard might turn D3 into a WoW cookie cutter - and of course people unfamiliar with mouse driven RPG's would second that - Diablo 3 would simply not be diablo with WASD movement. I played the game during the 3 day beta stress test - i played all 5 character toons both soloing and in groups. During game play I had no trouble and felt more comfortable with the mouse than with keyboard movement doing the same things in WoW. On this one Blizzard should stick to their guns. WASD would hardly Modernize Movement but take us back to 80's style keyboard games - WASD keyboard games pre-dated mouse driven games, so whoever thought up this thread as an improvement to the game might want to stick with MMO's and leave Diablo 3 to RPG gamers.
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I know I'm use to WoW, but would it really hurt the game to be able to change the camera angle? I know I'm new to Diablo, but I find it extremely annoying to be looking at the side of my character running and then all of a sudden run into a group of mobs because the camera angle wasnt far enough behind my character to see what was ahead of me.

Maybe I'll learn to adjust. I have no problem with the click to move and attack. The camera angle just drives me crazy :(

You seem to be ok with "unfair advantage" given the RMAH. Diablo's not directly competitive, who cares if other guy is better at getting shiny things?
Edited by Squider#1862 on 4/23/2012 11:18 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]