Diablo® III

Wrath of Zerker 100% uptime?

So, I'm a huge Frenzy barb fan in D2 so I really like Wrath of the Berserker. However, I noticed there's a rune that can add 1 second to the duration of WotB for every 25 fury. What if we were able to generate 25 or more fury per second? I don't know, but this build might be one of the best for this purpose:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WeUkiP!ZWY!YabcYc

The thing is, I only have Seismic Slam in there because I don't know if you have to literally generate 25 fury as opposed to virtually generating it. What I mean is, do you "generate" fury when you're at 100 fury? I don't know, so I'm using Seismic Slam as a quick rage dropper while also providing utility to the team in the form of an AOE stun. Sprint is just to help you get from group to group, not really needed, also a good escape mech if you ever needed one. Could be changed to Leap instead. War Cry is just there to help provide utility to the team while providing survivability (I will be playing hardcore mode, I need survivability).

Battle Rage is what I'm really getting at for the fury generation. I'm hoping I can score enough crits with enough luck to generate a good fury per second (FPS). The passives speak for themselves.

Any other ideas to tweak this build?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bfXVkP!ZbW!ZcacZc

here was a WotB I came up with a while ago, uses Weapon Throw (dread bomb) for a fury dump to inflict a huge AoE attack and expend all fury so I can begin building again.

i took into account survivability, it wont be perma WotB but a high uptime on it. Gear plan was stacking +IAS and +Crit i believe kinda aged idk. didnt go in to look at it just a suggestion build
Reply Quote
I'm planning on using Wrath with the same rune, because 25 fury for 1 second is op imo. I know you are doing HC mode, so I know how tempting the frenzy stun lock is, but you will build fury faster with bash with the 6 focus gen rune. You will generate 12 per hit. Frenzy has decent focus gen, but 3 gen per hit with 75% increased attack speed is nowhere near 12 per hit at normal attack speed. Yes Frenzy stun lock is awesome, but having Wrath up for as long as possible will probably be worth the sacrafice most of the time. Let me know what you think
Reply Quote
The only way I figured to get 100% uptime was by using the bash rune that makes bash a 12 rage per attack. It would be pretty easy to get to the 2.08 aps to have it not fall off. But, I dont know how much the knocking back may delay your swings.

If you are DWing and using swords, if you gear somewhat for attack speed you should be at around 3 aps. Which may be enough overflow to counter the frequent knockbacks.
Reply Quote
04/23/2012 09:36 PMPosted by Infidel
I'm planning on using Wrath with the same rune, because 25 fury for 1 second is op imo. I know you are doing HC mode, so I know how tempting the frenzy stun lock is, but you will build fury faster with bash with the 6 focus gen rune. You will generate 12 per hit. Frenzy has decent focus gen, but 3 gen per hit with 75% increased attack speed is nowhere near 12 per hit at normal attack speed. Yes Frenzy stun lock is awesome, but having Wrath up for as long as possible will probably be worth the sacrafice most of the time. Let me know what you think

I'm pretty sure some dude got 3.77 aps with barb by DWing daggers in open beta, and this is just BLUE gear, so we can get much higher than 3.77, so it's safe to say that Frenzy can get 12 FPS even without a dagger but in high level gear. However, think about it this way... as long as one of those 4 hits is a crit, with the Battle Rage rune we are good for +1 sec to duration.

EDIT: Also... there's a good chance barbs in general will be using mighty weapons for the most part - the weapon master passive gives 3 more fury per hit wit ha mighty weapon. So that ups Frenzy to 6 per hit. With 4 APS we get 24. Food for thought.
Edited by Nakieon#1957 on 4/24/2012 9:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
ASSUMING:
* Using Bul-Kathos's Sacred Charge (1.51 attack speed) and a shield.. for simplicity of calcs :P
* Bash with Instigation Rune -- 6+6 fury per attack
* Weapons Master passive skill -- +3 fury per attack w/ might weap (see Bul-Kathos)
* Animosity passive skill -- +10% fury generated

Here's how I see it panning out:
* Cast WotB
* Attack using Bash
-- ((12+3)*1.1) = 16.5 Fury generated for attack;
-- With attack speed 1.51 and WotB active, you make (1.51*1.25) = 1.89 attacks per second;
-- 16.5 fury * 1.89 attacks per second = 31.14 Fury Per Second.

If you had other gear equipped that increase the fury you generate or your attack speed, that number could go up. In any case, you should make more than 25 fury per second, which is enough to keep WotB going. I feel like you could also pad that using War Cry w/ Charge rune, so you generate 60 fury every 30 seconds, effectively 2 fury per second. This might be useful if you end up having to run to mobs and are unable to attack for 1-3 seconds, you can extend yourself at least 2 seconds by casting War Cry.

I don't think Frenzy will work. You just don't produce enough Fury per hit. I didn't factor in the first 4 attacks to rev up to full stack for simplicity of calculations, but I don't think it works even at full stack, anyway!

* Attack using Frenzy (assuming full stack)
-- ((3+3)*1.1) = 6.6 Fury generated for attack;
-- With attack speed 1.51, WotB active, full Frenzy you make (1.51*(1+(0.25+0.75))) = 3.02 attacks per second;
-- 6.6 fury * 3.02 attacks per second = 19.93 Fury Per Second.
Reply Quote
ASSUMING:
* Using Bul-Kathos's Sacred Charge (1.51 attack speed) and a shield.. for simplicity of calcs :P
* Bash with Instigation Rune -- 6+6 fury per attack
* Weapons Master passive skill -- +3 fury per attack w/ might weap (see Bul-Kathos)
* Animosity passive skill -- +10% fury generated

Here's how I see it panning out:
* Cast WotB
* Attack using Bash
-- ((12+3)*1.1) = 16.5 Fury generated for attack;
-- With attack speed 1.51 and WotB active, you make (1.51*1.25) = 1.89 attacks per second;
-- 16.5 fury * 1.89 attacks per second = 31.14 Fury Per Second.

If you had other gear equipped that increase the fury you generate or your attack speed, that number could go up. In any case, you should make more than 25 fury per second, which is enough to keep WotB going. I feel like you could also pad that using War Cry w/ Charge rune, so you generate 60 fury every 30 seconds, effectively 2 fury per second. This might be useful if you end up having to run to mobs and are unable to attack for 1-3 seconds, you can extend yourself at least 2 seconds by casting War Cry.

I don't think Frenzy will work. You just don't produce enough Fury per hit. I didn't factor in the first 4 attacks to rev up to full stack for simplicity of calculations, but I don't think it works even at full stack, anyway!

* Attack using Frenzy (assuming full stack)
-- ((3+3)*1.1) = 6.6 Fury generated for attack;
-- With attack speed 1.51, WotB active, full Frenzy you make (1.51*(1+(0.25+0.75))) = 3.02 attacks per second;
-- 6.6 fury * 3.02 attacks per second = 19.93 Fury Per Second.

I don't see anything wrong with ~20 fury per second because look at it like this:

We know the original WotB duration is 15 seconds.

If we did 20 FPS that would mean we generate 300 fury during the WotB 15-second duration. Divide 300 by 25 and we get 12. Obviously since 25 times 80% is 20, and 15 times 80% is 12. So basically with 20 FPS we keep losing 20% duration in each 'cycle', so we have this multiplicative pattern (multiply every cycle by .8):

(not gonna bother with continuing this pattern to infinity, stopping at ~1 sec is good)

The sum of this pattern is 74.02255939584.. so we have a duration of 74 seconds. Now let's just be real here, I did not intend for WotB to be for clearing trash mobs, I intended to use it on a really hard champion or a boss where they should be in a reasonable position and you can keep hitting on them (teleporter mobs are not good for keeping up WotB duration). I would think after 60 seconds they'd be dead...

Though, I think I'll have to try out Bash with the +6 fury rune, but in the end I really do want Frenzy, so I guess we'll have to see how it all pans out.

But hmm... but my major question hasn't been answered yet and I don't know if anyone can except Blizzard:

The thing is, I only have Seismic Slam in there because I don't know if you have to literally generate 25 fury as opposed to virtually generating it. What I mean is, do you "generate" fury when you're at 100 fury?
Edited by NakieoN on 4/24/2012 1:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You just admitted you are only looking for 74 seconds of Zerker uptime, not 100%, thread title lies!! :P I hear you on using Frenzy with bosses. I only played the beta during the open weekend and would agree that Frenzy feels a lot better against the Skeleton King or any monster that needs several hits to take down. In a lot of ways, I could almost care less what the mathematics and comparisons are between the primary skills because if you were making 3 attacks per second as a Barb transformed into a Beserker, you would look way too badass to care about how much damage you do.

I also was thinking that I neglected to consider Cleave as an option for attempting to get WotB at 100% uptime. If you used Cleave with the Reaping Swing rune you could generate anywhere from 8 to 32+ fury from ONE swing. Feasibly you could generate 60 fury per second if you had a big enough mob nearby. The thought of generating that much fury is pretty crazy. You could do a lot of things with all that fury if it wasn't for the cooldowns...
Reply Quote
You just admitted you are only looking for 74 seconds of Zerker uptime, not 100%, thread title lies!! :P I hear you on using Frenzy with bosses. I only played the beta during the open weekend and would agree that Frenzy feels a lot better against the Skeleton King or any monster that needs several hits to take down. In a lot of ways, I could almost care less what the mathematics and comparisons are between the primary skills because if you were making 3 attacks per second as a Barb transformed into a Beserker, you would look way too badass to care about how much damage you do.

I also was thinking that I neglected to consider Cleave as an option for attempting to get WotB at 100% uptime. If you used Cleave with the Reaping Swing rune you could generate anywhere from 8 to 32+ fury from ONE swing. Feasibly you could generate 60 fury per second if you had a big enough mob nearby. The thought of generating that much fury is pretty crazy. You could do a lot of things with all that fury if it wasn't for the cooldowns...

I thought Cleave only generates fury for the attack, not for how many mobs it hits.

Anyways, do you know whether you still "generate fury" even when you're at 100 fury? Just wondering if you can just stay at 100 Fury and keep increasing the WotB duration.
Reply Quote
Are there going to be mobs immune to critical hits or will your critical hit chance be reduced in higher difficulty levels?

Otherwise, simply getting a fast attack speed and high crit to make use of battle rage's into the fray can get you 50+ fury per second quite easily.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
no once you hit 100 fury technically you stop (generating) fury. So thats why I based my build
( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bfXVkP!ZbW!ZcacZc ) with Weapon Throw (Dreadbomb) which dumps all your rage for a huge AoE with 12yrd range from mob hit. +3% damage for every Fury point expended, 10 Fury cost so you get a total of 390% damage done (450% with Animosity Passive). Thats a pretty sweet nuke for dumping your rage so you can begin generating Fury to keep up WotB also.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#abhYkP!YWS!YZYYZc

Similar set up I was thinking of using. Bash and Cleave with the +fury runes, along with Weapon Master and Animosity, to gain maximum fury. For a dump, so you can contiue generating fury, I used Whirlwind with the rune that causes you to gain 1 fury per enemy hit. Even when dumping fury I can still get a good amount back if the group is a decent size.

I grabbed Ground Stomp and War Cry with the fury generating runes ofc. They work well and give you a bit of survivability. And just to make sure I can have the best uptime if Wrath dropped off I grabbed the Boon of Bul-Kathos skill to lower it to a 90 sec cd. If it's not needed though I could always grab Superstition for a bit more survivabilty against casters and chance at fury gain.
Reply Quote
5 seconds, so maybe that can be feasible but then our builds would require TWO primary attacks rather than one. It can prove to be problematic and remove some utility from our build.

Also, the cooldown on anything starts when you press the button. I think. Don't quote me on that.
Edited by Nakieon#1957 on 4/25/2012 12:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I would go with something like this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WfUViP!YeZ!bcbZYc

Dual-wield two daggers or otherwise really fast weapons. With massive fury generation and sprint you should be able to sprint around everywhere to reduce the time inbetween attacks so faster fury generation. Use the Dread Bomb to expand excess fury. Revenge and Superstition help with your survivability, while revenge also increases your crit chance which helps to generate fury more.
Reply Quote
no once you hit 100 fury technically you stop (generating) fury. So thats why I based my build
( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bfXVkP!ZbW!ZcacZc ) with Weapon Throw (Dreadbomb) which dumps all your rage for a huge AoE with 12yrd range from mob hit. +3% damage for every Fury point expended, 10 Fury cost so you get a total of 390% damage done (450% with Animosity Passive). Thats a pretty sweet nuke for dumping your rage so you can begin generating Fury to keep up WotB also.

I actually like this idea - MUCH quicker fury dump with a 450% AOE nuke to boot, though it won't stun. For utility, I guess you could go for Seismic Slam with the stun rune, and if you just want to go all out on the damage and fury dumping, use Weapon Throw with the Dread Bomb rune.
Reply Quote
Dual wielding 1.3 speed mighty weapons using bash with onslaught and weapon mastery and animosity passives provides roughly 24.67 fury per second before factoring in any increased attack speed later in the game.

Any increase to attack speed and you're looking at generating enough fury to go 100% uptime on WotB, but thats assuming you do nothing but bash.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Note that high level gear will potentially have a good deal of +MaxFury on it, allowing for even bigger Dread Bombs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]