Diablo® III

Why is the Witch doctor the least class plyd?

The WD will be fine. The summoner WD will be non existent. Personally though, aesthetics irriates me to no end, that hunch backed, diseased, hand twitching is NOT what I want to see in a supposed hero of sanctuary.

The summon necro, since you mentioned him, is viable even in hell act 5. I would know. I have one.

And no he does not sit around twiddling his thumbs while skelly army does all my work. That far in the game, the skelly army requires curses and damage from you. Not easy, but it works.

I think that's why. The WD was expected to fill the necromancer's shoes as a class that could play as a summoner, and he can't. Actual play testing in the stress aside (which I've done)...the numbers alone tell you pets will not work, even in normal don't get me started on higher.

Poison Dart does a combined 140% weapon damage in a single hit. NO runes.

3 zombie dogs + gargantuan + 4 spiders ALL hitting ONE target = 116% weapon damage.

So what's the damage reduction on the darts? If I remember correctly, the UI does not even let you assign dogs to Mouse #1.
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Níer
That's completely incorrect. The Witch Doctor was never intended to 'fill the shoes' of the Necromancer. The Witch Doctor has taken some inspiration from the Necromancer, but the underline truth is they play very differently. Blizzard has even said themselves of they eventually plan to introduce the Necromancer into Diablo 3, the Witch Doctors presence wouldn't prevent them from doing so.

All of the classes in D3 are just reworked D2 classes. You can argue semantics all you like, but Blizzard is not fooling the majority of players by claiming that they are all "new".

They have similarities and they also have differences, just like any other class by comparison. In terms of gameplay, the Necromancer focused on debuffing targets and hindering them so their minions could do the work. The Witch Doctor is quite the opposite and focus' on using minions as a distraction while they themselves are the main and massive source of damage. Minions to a Witch Doctor would be more comparable to CC than to damage. Not to lable them as CrowdControl in any shape or form, but they are most definitely closer to that than a main source of damage.

Corpse Explosion says "hi".

04/26/2012 09:27 PMPosted by NLC
Can you elaborate?

I just proved that a summoner build can be played in my post above:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WgYkTP!dZc!Zbabaa

Although it wouldn't be necro style summon build, it's still a summon build that utilizes all of your summons.

(That was just a quick build I threw together in a second)

Way to completely miss the point. He never claimed you couldn't build one, only that you would not see any; because they will suck.
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/27/2012 9:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
The fact is that the WD is a different kind of summoner than the Necro from D2. Most of the WD summons are not permanent but do more damage up front and they cant draw fire and or be targeted by mobs. Summoner Necros are all about creating your own permanent army to draw fire while you debuff the enemy and watch them die (boring for me). I for one will be playing WD right out of the gate and he/she will be the first chacter I try to get all the best gear for. I love the Artistic style and the aesthetic of the WD. Who knows, maybe blizz will bring out a necro like summoner in expansion packs. I doubt it but it could happen.

TL:DR
WD use temporary summons for burst dmg (but do have meat shields just not 30 of them!), Necros are building/maintaining a skeleton army.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
I see a lot of people playing them like a caster, taking a +1 int crap dagger over a DPS upgrade. None of their spells do any damage because of this and they compare it to a barbarian who always upgrades based on DPS destroying mobs and they think the WD is under powered.

The other thing is the sounds, the vases cracking and the yelling just drives people nuts.
Reply Quote
When I first got into beta, I immediately tried out my archer class. Then tried a wizard, onto a barb, then a monk and finally decided I may as well give WD a try, though it really didn't sound that interesting.

After playing one to 13, I'm totally on board for WD being my main. The circle of death/grasping hands spell rocks, combo it with 60% 3 set darts and the occasional firebats (I find the individual large ones do a great deal of damage and can clear swaths of enemies with 4 players, its a trip).

Basically what I'm saying is, WD is completely awesome with a ton of battlefield control and plenty of damage to boot.

P.S. It seems like a lot of people's complaints about the WD class are really being ignorant of some of the game mechanics. In D3, weapon damage directly boost all your abilities. If you bring up your character sheet, take a 3.0 dps weapon and swap it out with a 5.5 dps weapon and you'll see the damage you do go up. This damage affects all your abilities.

Another thing I saw mentioned in this threat was where you can places abilities. You can place them anywhere once you go into the options menu and activate "Elective mode".
Edited by Brendan#1511 on 4/28/2012 10:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't mind the aesthetics for the WD. With the whole hunched back and shakes he kinda looks like the crazed underdog of the bunch. Or he just went on one hell of a vision quest and never really returned.

Plus hes rockin the beer belly... he looks like he knows how to have a good time... or at least did.. till he became a burn out...
Edited by MrJuskz#1192 on 4/28/2012 10:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote

TL:DR
WD use temporary summons for burst dmg (but do have meat shields just not 30 of them!), Necros are building/maintaining a skeleton army.

There are simply too many better abilities than any of the summons. I don't know why you would call the summons "burst" damage either unelss you're just talking about blowing up dogs. But for how much it cost to summon them and then explode them, you could have just had a better damage spell (or something else). About the only summon I would ever consider would be the Garg, and that's only if it can take some hits. The cooldown on it is absurd.
Reply Quote
There are things you can do later on in the game to reduce cooldowns. For example there are items in late game that will have affixes like "reduce cooldown of summon zdogs/gargantuan". Couple that with Grave Injustice reducing your cooldowns and Circle of Life and the Zdog rune to resummon them after you sacrifice, and you have quite a bit of uptime on a one of the hardest hitting aoes in the game. They dont want you to just blow your dogs up and resummon them immediately after.
Reply Quote
I don't know what I did wrong, but WD didn't appeal to me. At first I was so fired up for his weird skills ("raining frogs", "jar of spiders"), but when I played, he felt weak and sluggish.

Dart is ok, but it's pretty unimpressive for a single target skill. Grasp of the dead is quite good. Corpse spiders felt weak, I couldn't rely on it for main damage. Dogs are useful, but they are irritating too when they run off on their own to attack mobs you'd rather leave alone. Firebats is good, but burns mana too fast for its damage.

Once I encountered a massive number of mobs. I didn't want to engage all, but the dogs ran in and I didn't have a choice. I used grasp and started channeling firebats. But soon I was running out of both mana and health. Dogs were already dead and I couldn't spam grasp due to CD. Dart wasn't even an option since there were so many mobs around. I had the same problem at the skeleton spawning pillars.

What do you do when you encounter a huge load of 20-30 mobs with 1/2 elites?
Reply Quote
I don't know what I did wrong, but WD didn't appeal to me. At first I was so fired up for his weird skills ("raining frogs", "jar of spiders"), but when I played, he felt weak and sluggish.

Dart is ok, but it's pretty unimpressive for a single target skill. Grasp of the dead is quite good. Corpse spiders felt weak, I couldn't rely on it for main damage. Dogs are useful, but they are irritating too when they run off on their own to attack mobs you'd rather leave alone. Firebats is good, but burns mana too fast for its damage.

Once I encountered a massive number of mobs. I didn't want to engage all, but the dogs ran in and I didn't have a choice. I used grasp and started channeling firebats. But soon I was running out of both mana and health. Dogs were already dead and I couldn't spam grasp due to CD. Dart wasn't even an option since there were so many mobs around. I had the same problem at the skeleton spawning pillars.

What do you do when you encounter a huge load of 20-30 mobs with 1/2 elites?

The first Firebat rune kind of removes all of the issues you listed above. They are semi-homing and pierce through packs. Think of them as a much faster moving boulder that the Druid could cast.

Also, until you can get a really good 1h + oh, a 2h weapon > everything else for the WD (unless you want a shield for HC of course). Just using some random 2h sword, my bats were crashing through enemies and dealing 85 damage to each enemy.
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/29/2012 8:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Aesthetics pure and simple.

You can see it in other games as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]