Diablo® III

Why do people miss stat points?

90 Blood Elf Priest
04/23/2012 01:08 AMPosted by Rayleigh
Maybe because not all of us are stupid and we want an edge over those who're too stupid to do it correctly.

What you mean is some of us know how to find a guide on google and some just don't care.
I hate to tell people the bad news but bliz wont get rid of people looking up builds on the internet with d3... its going to happen.. its not going to stop because they took away stat allocation.. And i personally never looked up builds on the internet either because i was to busy playing the game.. I swear that kids now adays have adhd or something i mean taking a minute to allocate points isnt going to kill you..
And no need to allocate stat points ain't gonna kill you too. Ta-da~
I don't miss stats point, it's good that Diablo3 take out skills tree and stats point!
Edited by DFKidz#1359 on 4/23/2012 1:31 AM PDT
The only thing I don't like about the system is that I feel like it's been idiot-proofed; like everything else these days. I don't really care one way or the other about getting to distribute my own stats, I've played plenty of RPGs that let you and plenty that didn't.
04/23/2012 01:23 AMPosted by D3hunter
I hate to tell people the bad news but bliz wont get rid of people looking up builds on the internet with d3... its going to happen.. its not going to stop because they took away stat allocation.. And i personally never looked up builds on the internet either because i was to busy playing the game.. I swear that kids now adays have adhd or something i mean taking a minute to allocate points isnt going to kill you..

they didn't say they wanted to get rid of people posting and sharing builds on the internet. They said they didn't want you to feel forced to follow a spread sheet to the nearest stat point because it was the only way to beat the game.

I mean they have on their own website a way for you to "make a build and share it with others"
Umm thats responding to the people saying that getting rid of stats will basicly make it pointless for people to look up builds on the internet.. and you dont have to follow anything to anything because it doesnt matter..
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Clearly many of you(at least on page 1 and the post creator) have no idea entirely of what an RPG even is, its called a Role Playing Game, this means you choose a character and make that character in whatever image you wish, in all reality the choices of choosing a class is a pre helper to get you started, in realities case if one were to play a real classic RPG style you would not choose barbarian, wizard, rougue, you would simply make your guy and your stats and playstyle determin what you are to be class wise. why do we miss stat points??? simple, it takes away from the fun and basic customization an RPG should have, if you care about perfect builds, and top DPS, then thats your porogative. But i for one happen to like making a Necromancer who can not only cast and army of powerful undead but also run in sword raised and hit as hard as a barbarian. Its called Choice and all we want is it back, Stop trying to stereotype and Limit games based on your Simply minded Narrow Elitist Answer. Thank you and good day.
Hahaha all I'm reading is crap on this thread.. The real reason behind taking those points away is because it would be nearly impossible to balance in PvP. This is 2012 where class balancing takes place and people like to be competitive. If those existed it would just be another thing that people would rant about on the forums "omg _____ is OP!!"

I know most of you think that end-game you'll want to just farm for better gear like in D2 with magic find but I bet you were like 11 or 12 when you played Diablo 2 haha, no !@#$ that was fun back then. when I was younger I even thought chasing invisible zombies and fighting them irl with my friends was fun too. PvP will be most of the re-playability so they need to balance it.

All in all, this isn't Diablo 2 any more and you're not the same person that you were before. If you truly liked Diablo 2 as much as you say then feel free to play it instead of the 3rd. It still exists lol.
Edited by Revizful#1283 on 4/23/2012 4:48 AM PDT
04/23/2012 04:25 AMPosted by RevizeLOL
Hahaha all I'm reading is crap on this thread.. The real reason behind taking those points away is because it would be nearly impossible to balance in PvP.

I think Blizz has consistently maintained PvP is a much lower priority than PvM. They might not have meant it, but that's what they want us to believe.

IMO opinion the reason they got rid of stat points was to itemize attributes (gems) and therefore make almost all areas of character customization into potential cash flow (RMAH transaction fees). Not that there's anything wrong with that. And they did de-itemize runes, so at least we have access to all potential skill combinations without farming/trading/purchasing items.

But people miss stat points because D3 characters feel like dress-up dolls--any naked character of the same class and level is 100% identical. All customization is on the gear, and the very short-term choices of what skills are actually active. This is new, and therefore frightening. So why is it so hard to understand why some people miss stat points? It shouldn't be any harder than understanding why some people don't miss them.
I think Blizz has consistently maintained PvP is a much lower priority than PvM. They might not have meant it, but that's what they want us to believe.

Wait until you beat the game 3-4 times and then tell me PvM is more important. You'll beat the game with your friends a few times and then wonder "hmm now what.." and you'll search for more games to buy lol. With PvP you can test your skills that you got by fighting with your friends and maybe make a team with those same people.

PvP is a huge deal. You just don't see it yet.
Edited by Revizful#1283 on 4/23/2012 4:54 AM PDT
04/23/2012 04:53 AMPosted by RevizeLOL

Wait until you beat the game 3-4 times and then tell me PvM is more important. You'll beat the game with your friends a few times and then wonder "hmm now what.." and you'll search for more games to buy lol. With PvP you can test your skills that you got by fighting with your friends and maybe make a team with those same people.

PvP is a huge deal. You just don't see it yet.

Um, not sure why you're arguing with me like you know how I feel. All I said is what Blizz has told us, and I even offered that they might be misleading us.
To me searching for a build on the internet seems foolish, there is no build wich is better than others it all depends on what build is best for the specific player!!! =) and some builds might work best for a lot of ppl that dosent mean those/that build is a must.
What I am missing about the total removal of stat points is the feeling of progression...

From playin beta I get this impression that I am playing the game how the devs want me too and not have much choice. Total removal of stat point and talent build choices is a dead give away.

Barb: DPS or Tank
Monk: DPS, Tank (?), or Heals support
Witch Doctor: DPS/CC/Debuffer
Wizard: DPS/CC
Demon Hunter: DPS/CC

Basically pigeon holing play styles and makin users play by Blizzs pre-determined idea of how classes should work. I will mention that in D2 LoD you had some pretty crazy builds, not that they all worked but it allowed freedom. FREEEEEEEDOM!

D3 class make up reminds me of a holy trinity ala MMO. I really hope Inferno will not need 2 DPS, 1 tank, and Monk heals. But it looks like that, correct me if I am wrong.

"LF 1 war tank and monk healer for an Inferno run! Must have good gear and build!"

/dread

edit. see how it pans out, on paper the wild amounts of skills/runes could make the game super interesting OR it will simply break down to min/max like WoW. We shall see.
Edited by fixit#1698 on 4/23/2012 5:12 AM PDT
What I am missing about the total removal of stat points is the feeling of progression...

From playin beta I get this feelin that I am playin game how devs want me too and not have much choice.

Barb: DPS or Tank
Monk: DPS, Tank (?), or Heals support
Witch Doctor: DPS/CC/Debuffer
Wizard: DPS/CC
Demon Hunter: DPS/CC

Basically pidgeon holing and makin users play by Blizzs pre-determined idea of how classes should work. I will mention that in D2 LoD you had some pretty crazy builds, not that they all worked but it allowed freedom. FREEEEEEEDOOOOM!

It really reminds me of a holy trinity setup. I really hope Inferno will not need 2 DPS, 1 tank, and Monk heals. But it looks like that, correct me if I am wrong.

"LF 1 war tank and monk healer for an Inferno run! Must have good gear and build!"

/dread

All the progression is (intentionally) on the gear. For an example of how this works in it's simplest form, check out SpiralKnights. In that game there is NOTHING unique to your character, even classes or skills or levels. In essence in order to progress you need better gear, and in order to get better gear you have to progress (and/or find a way to efficiently farm lower levels).

And Blizzard has also said that all classes are DPS. The rest of your distinctions are valid, and are probably the source of many balancing headaches for the developers.
Yea but D2 was the same: get better gear to go on higher diffculties. In D3 they left out choice and permancy due to those decisions. It just seems entirely to much hand holding. But each their own. I can understand that they want to shoot for a low skill level and remove all ways to actually make a mistake while developing a character. Hit button, swap skills, swap runes, gogogogogogogo!

Still buyin game and absolutely addicted. As to if its a long term, decade long affection like I have with D2 LoD... /shrug
Edited by fixit#1698 on 4/23/2012 5:21 AM PDT
There's a thread that's been pretty popular around here for quite a while. Seems like it capped out not too long ago. He gets a lot of what we're trying to do with the game, and that's transforming previous systems to make them deeper and more engaging. His article isn't all completely accurate, and there could be some points missing, but I think it's a solid read if you're really interested in stat points or skill tress (and don't mind reading quite a bit, although he has a nice table of contents to help skip ahead).

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455085?page=1

Or you could just watch this video with Jay talking about stat points: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuKvxab1kBk&feature=relmfu

If Blizzard is using that post as an explanation of their gameplay changes, think its time for a sticky.
90 Human Rogue
04/23/2012 01:10 AMPosted by Invictae
Maybe because not all of us are stupid and we want an edge over those who're too stupid to do it correctly.

What you mean is some of us know how to find a guide on google and some just don't care.

How many cookie cutter builds have been in WoW, only to have some outside the box thinkers come up with AR/Prep or 31/0/30 in Wrath of the Lich King? Only to have Blizzard nerf those specs because they weren't intended to be viable.

The less choice we have for customization, the worse off everyone is as a whole. I dont enjoy having my decisions made for me, that's gutting the essence of what an RPG is. You can make the argument that the D2 system, depending on your class, had a pretty staple stat allocation, and it's a valid argument. Just not against stat systems. Plenty of games have done stats properly, D2 was not one of them but at least it had it.

I dont get how people cant see that the majority of us aren't saying "hurr durr game sux" we're just concerned that by taking choices away, the game is being dumbed down. Anyone that currently played Cataclysm should understand this concern 100%. There is literally no choice for many classes, especially DPS classes. There is one spec, one build to rule them all. When a Resto Shaman's choices are dumbed down to "Hmmm, to take telluric currents or not" your game is in bad shape. When you have entire skill trees that aren't used for the entire xpac because they're inferior in all areas of the game, your game is in bad shape. The less we get to choose, the more boring it becomes. That's just my take.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]