Diablo® III

Possible to have more than 4 zombie dogs?

90 Gnome Mage
Ok, so looking at all of the WD skills, I noticed there are some skills (other than the summon zombie dogs) that can raise zombie dogs.

• Circle of Life (passive) - 5% chance of a zombie dog emerging from enemy deaths withing 12 yards.
  • Mass Confusion with Devolution rune - Enemies that die while confused have 50% chance to spawn a zombie dog.
  • Big Bad Voodoo with Boogie Man rune - Enemies that die within the ritual area have 50% chance to spawn a zombie dog.

My question is if these skills will allow the WD to have more than 3 (4 with the Zombie Handler passive) zombie dogs out at once? Or is the number of dogs hard capped, making these runes and circle of life pointless for a summoner build?
Reply Quote
You cant have more than 3 or 4.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
everything in the tooltips labeled in green means that it can be modified, most likely with affixes available later in game.. so it would be safe to believe that you can have more but you'll have to itemize for it
Reply Quote
04/24/2012 10:35 PMPosted by Soulsteelrr
everything in the tooltips labeled in green means that it can be modified, most likely with affixes available later in game.. so it would be safe to believe that you can have more but you'll have to itemize for it

Doubtful, but possible I guess.

You normally can only have 3 dogs(4 with passive). If you get the dogs from other sources it still only lets you have 3/4 out no matter what.

For example, with circle of life I would cap at 3 dogs and no more would ever spawn until I lost 1.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Death Knight
perhaps if you think of it along the lines of...
you can NEVER cast the zombie dog spell but still have zombie dogs it will become less of a bummer?
Reply Quote
Zookeeper builds are a thing of the past. Too easy to bot, to irritating for other players, especially those without top-notch systems.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Well, that's a bummer.

Zookeeper/fishymancer necros were my favorite in D2. I really enjoyed pure summoner builds. It was just a different type of game play. This seems to be the one niche that the witch doctor won't be able to fill.

I get the reasons why. That doesn't make it any less of a bummer.

It would be cool if we could get zookeeper builds, but simply keep it capped in multiplayer (similar to how the followers stay in town when you are in a party).
Reply Quote
While you can't have a zookeeper, you surely can bring forth a pet from every slot if you wanted to. To be clear and fair, the pet would not be permanent.

Rune and passive as you see fit. It's a lolz fit, but I'm certainly going to try it out for funsies.
Toad of Hugeness
Spider Queen
Dogs
Phantasm
Gargantuan
Hex Shaman

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WbYRgT!dgZ!ZZYbba
Edited by BanzaiJoe#1101 on 4/26/2012 10:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
While I have been playing through the beta, I have noticed that while I have 3 summoned zombie dogs (summoned via the summon zombie dogs skill) no dogs will proc from CoL at all. I have heard that people have seen it happen, but I have not and I have run multiple times through SK.

Also, I noticed that once I lost some dogs and was only at 1, still I would not proc any dogs through CoL. HOWEVER, the moment that last dog died, and I mean the second it died, I started getting dogs through CoL, not just one, but two or three even.

This leads me to believe that passives like CoL or rune effects like Devolution on mass confusion will be more used for Sacrifice builds. Sou can constantly have dogs active while waiting for the 1 minute cooldown of the actual zombie dog skill.

This is just what I have found through my many hours spent on beta.
Reply Quote
While you can't have a zookeeper, you surely can bring forth a pet from every slot if you wanted to. To be clear and fair, the pet would not be permanent.

I have been seeing so many threads of people saying "You can't have a summoner build like in d2!"

Well yes... thats true. I can't have 20+ skellies and 20+ skelli mages running around. Thats because I'm not a freaking necromancer. I'm a WD.

This is a summoner build I threw together in like 1 second without even thinking. Every slot is a summons (you could even swap out the fetish army for the Spider Queen)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WgYkTP!dZc!Zbabaa

And hell, I may not be able to have 40+ skellies... But at least I can have:

1 massive toad.
1 spectre.
4 zombie dogs.
Up to 3 zombies raised. (Creepers rune on Zombie Wall)
1 Gargantuan.
Either 1 Spider Queen or a Fetish Army (once every 120 secs, so spider queen might be better for a constant summon)

Still pretty damn awesome in my books!

But The WD is going to be so much fun to play, with so many crazy diverse builds you can make.
Edited by Stoic#1415 on 4/27/2012 6:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
There is also 2 witch doctors in that video.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
everything in the tooltips labeled in green means that it can be modified, most likely with affixes available later in game..

Quoting for truth.

There are a bunch of class specific items in the game with weird affixs. The number of dogs in Zombie Dogs is green, so it is very possible that there may be an affix later that modifies it. Of course the number may also be green because of the passive that allows one extra dog, but who knows.
Reply Quote
Jay Wilson said in a recent interview that he made a "petless" witch doctor build which used passive dogs and he could have more than 4.
Reply Quote
I can't remember where but I would swear I saw that 4 was the max.
Reply Quote
My favorite zookeeper build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#hWbRkT!ade!YZZYbY

-4 dogs
-1 garg
-1 spider queen
-1 toad of hugness
-(X) of pyrogeists (not sure how many, could be spammable)
-3 zombies
-1 hexin' fetish
-(X) of passive fetishes (again, not sure how many, but since most of the spells proc this passive, it could be very many at a time)
---------------------------------
= At least 13 minions during a fight.

Not much dmg, probably, but definetly worth seeing I'm sure.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]