Diablo® III

Monk Build *Updated*

Hey guys I posted in a few threads in the last couple weeks and have made one of my own with some great discussion, but with the open beta recently behind us I wanted to see if anyone has gained any insight to some of the functionality of some late game builds. I'm aware that there is still much to see, and that effectiveness of each particular build will be dependant upon the gear you have, but I wanted to see where I stand with my intended late game build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WbVYXQ!ZTg!Zcacbc

I recently changed my mantra from MoC to MoH runed for resistances. I think that untill we're fully geared, the monk is going to have the most trouble with durability due to our need to be 'in your face', so to speak. This is also represented with my choice of 2 defensive spells. I feel these are both strong because of the obvious defensive nature of the skills, along with the utility of having them runed for offensive potential.

What I'm worried about now becomes damage output. EP seems to be our best 'spammable' dmg dealer for now (obviously we havn't been able to test yet, so this remains pure speculation). For the set up I have now, SSS and cyclone strike don't seem to be all that effective due to the long CD's and higher spirit costs. WoL has yet to impress me as a viable skill and the new change to sweeping wind doesn't seem worth while. I originally thought that using LTK with a relatively low spirit cost combined with frequent activation of an Overawe runed MoC would be more than sufficient damage output.

Another alternative I've considered is dropping crippling wave for SSS, again my fear here being the reduce durability, losing the 20% dmg reduction and the aoe slow and debuff.

What is everyones thoughts on these ideas? How much defence is too much? And What defensive sacrifices are worthwhile for dmg output?

TL DR; Critique my build, yo!

EDIT: If I dropped CW I would pick up a different passive than combination strike. Perhaps Seize the Inititive to compensate for the loss in dmg reduction from CW
Edited by PulsadoKBK#1167 on 4/24/2012 11:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
A well-rounded build. I don't think combination strike is a very good passive with even two combo generators, personally. You did make use of the strongest defensive skills in my opinion, Concussion, Time of Need, Resolve. You have decent healing as well. And you have three abilities which increase all of your damage done. I'm not a fan of your rune choice for EP, however. I will always roll with the spirit return from explosion unless I give the fire spread rune a try.
Reply Quote
What would you recommend here in place of combo strike?
Reply Quote
I'd personally use One with Everything or Seize the Initiative. Whichever you think is more effective.
Reply Quote
Just throwing this idea out there.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WbVYXQ!ZTc!ZcacYZ

I change a few thigns to give you a LOT more spirit. If EP is going to be your primary spirit dump.

Like Snoo said, you could go more spirit return with EP or you can go with BoH Infused with Light and change MoH to gain 3 spirit per second and Chant over combo for an additional 2 spirit per second.

@5 spirit per second, and every 7 seconds you being able to get a full spirit globe from BoH. You will be able to spam as many EP's as you'd like.

Swap our NDE for Transcendence and you'll have yourself a pretty nice heal with EP.
40spirit x 62 = 2480 anytime you wish.

You could spam EP to heal yourself full as well as put out some good damage.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Blinding Flash will probably be useless for bosses beyond Normal, so you might want to have an alternative in mind for certain fights.
Reply Quote
04/25/2012 10:27 AMPosted by Shygar
Blinding Flash will probably be useless for bosses beyond Normal, so you might want to have an alternative in mind for certain fights.

can you go into deeper detail as to why you think it will be useless?

30% chance to miss is almost as good as saying taking 30% less damage on boss's.

Also from what i saw in BETA that while blinded, the boss's never took a swing at me anyways unless it was the SK. And on him, i would pop blind just before he would WW and this interrupted his attack sometimes.

So it still can be used as an interrupt and it increases your survival vs's champions, mini boss's and main boss fights.

I am interested in why you may think otherwise. (^-^)
Reply Quote
I would replace blinding flash with serenity + the heal rune, would replace combo strike with seize the initiative, and might replace your mantra with the dodge mantra.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
@Archangel

If the bosses in Inferno Mode are affected by Blinding Flash in the same way as the Beta, then it'll still be useful. I'm assuming that Inferno Mode will be harder, so for bosses I'll be considering Serenity with Tranquility as the Rune. I'll be travelling with a group, though, so my approach will be different.
Reply Quote
I can see solo play how Serenity could be equally as helpful as blinding.

For party play though, having that LARGE area of effect CC will not only help you but everyone else.

I don't see how the mechanics of the skill will behave any differently in Inferno as in Normal.

Targets are blinded, boss's have a 30% chance to miss, regardless of difficulty.
Edited by ArchangelMD#1937 on 4/25/2012 11:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
My personal Inferno buil will look something like this anyways,

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UdYRgk!ZXV!.....c

I have different variations of this concept but the idea is to have 3 CC's to help keep me, and my allies from taking as much damage as possible.

My wife who also plans to play as a monk will follow this idea and the 2 of us can create a rotation of CC that will all but make us immune to melee attacks and have enough healing to heal through ranged attacks.

It may be slow going on the killing side of things but we have all the time in the world, even in Inferno with this type of total CC control.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
If Inferno is exactly like Beta, Blinding Flash will still be useful. I just believe that duration of stun may be shorter and more immunity on Bosses. No way to tell at this point, so both may work well.
Reply Quote
04/25/2012 11:52 AMPosted by Shygar
If Inferno is exactly like Beta, Blinding Flash will still be useful. I just believe that duration of stun may be shorter and more immunity on Bosses. No way to tell at this point, so both may work well.

Very true. We dont know if Blind can be resisted. I just have never seen it resisted in the BETA and I have been playing it for a couple of months now. (^-^)

Also CC durations could be lowered in Inferno to increase the difficulty but i have yet to see or read anything indicating they plan to do that.

In PVP all CC duration's are reduced to 2 seconds. So i know its possible for them to nerf CC. I just don't see them doing it in PVE. Or i don't want to see them doing it. lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]