Diablo® III

Paladin lore.

90 Human Paladin
So, I have been wondering, and in my short time of reading up on the lore I cant figure out what happened to the Paladins. I know in D2 they got messed up, but none left? Can anyone feed me some history is they have any on why?
Reply Quote
From what I know the Paladins in D2 are from the Zakarum order. They were former Knights of Westmarch as well. Back in the day their order wanted to spread the Zakarum faith to the west so they sent out priests to do so. However the travel west was too rigorous for mere priests, so the order started training Priest-Knights to accompany the priests.

These "Paladins" as they were later called were awesome at not only surviving but also converting people to the Zakarum faith. As I remember the lore they became over eager at conversion that they started in Inquisition of sorts. Killing all those suspected of being demons. This went on for some time where a lot of innocents were butchered in the name of the Faith.

A group of Paladins could no longer stomach the inquisitions and splintered from the Zakarum order and became rebels who walked the light but did not want any part of the butcher of innocents. These are the paladins that you play in D2. Later you'll find out that the reason the other paladins started killing innocents was due to the corruption of the Zakarum church by good old Meph.

I hope this is sufficient hehe.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Alright, this does make sence. I know back in d2 they got messed up in act 3. I hoping i get to play one again soon in an expac or somthing.
Reply Quote
The Paladins follow a code beyond that of the Zakarum Order, the order itself was just a grouping of Paladins. Many would try to argue that the Templar is the new Paladin, but just as Jondar (a random templar you fight in Diablo 3) was corrupted, one can determine that Templars bear no difference from Paladins, in essence, they still follow the code of light that Paladins do, just with more bloody terms I'd like to say. In theory, anyone could choose to walk the path of Light and train to become a Paladin. I believe Blizzard knows this and will open the path for an interesting expansion to allow Paladins back as a playable class, it's simply a matter of waiting for the lore to catch up with it. If you think back, a majority of the classes from Diablo 2 had their people wiped out and their homes destroyed. The backstory of the Barbarian is one of sheer genius and ingenuity.

My final comment to you, don't put it down, just give it time and let lore develop.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Thats what I was thinking. I just wanted to see if I missed something.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]