Diablo® III

How to use more than 1 spirit generator?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello fellow monks. This is a noob question, i have been figuring how to change my right click to a spirit generator in the open beta, but can't figure out how. Tried searching for solution but can't find any. I know the talent calculator allows us to change skills, does this not work in the beta?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
Alt + F4

But seriously is under the game menu.options, gameplay, select elective mode. Have fun!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
It's not your fault. Under 'options' in game look for the one called 'Elective Mode'.

This allows you to put whatever abilities you want wherever you want. Yes, this is a poor execution. Blizzard honestly believes that doing it this way was an upgrade to their skills UI...

Because it makes it simpler to use.

:(

I'm going to count the threads once the game goes live that ask this same question.

I'm betting thousands in the first week for Live...
Reply Quote
I'm going to count the threads once the game goes live that ask this same question.

I'm betting thousands in the first week for Live...

Lol while you're busy counting those threads the rest of us will be playing 24/7.

The forums might still be active after release but it won't be the same people ;)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks guys! [:
Reply Quote
How exactly would you use 2 spirit generators? If you clicked both buttons isn't it just going to do the one you clicked slighty first or does it actually use both skills? (seems OP if it did both skills).
Reply Quote
04/23/2012 06:20 PMPosted by Ebs
How exactly would you use 2 spirit generators? If you clicked both buttons isn't it just going to do the one you clicked slighty first or does it actually use both skills? (seems OP if it did both skills).

you rotate your clicking to be able to fit up to 3 gens in a single rotation.

This is called combination striking. Its hard to do but can be beneficial if you get good at it.
Reply Quote
04/23/2012 06:20 PMPosted by Ebs

Hmmm... you haven't played a monk yet, have you? The monk's spirit generators all have 3 separate stages. Each time you activate it, you do a different 'stage' of the attack.

The reason they're called 'combos' is that if you have more than one spirit generator you can switch between the different 'stages' of the generators.

In other words, if you have Fist of Thunder(1), Deadly Reach(2), and Way of the Hundred Fists(3) you can combine them like this:

1+1+1
2+2+2
3+3+3
1+2+3
3+1+3

and so on. There are several reasons to do this. On every generator, the 3rd attack has a special effect. On most of them, there are different ranges and area's of effect on the different generators. Each of them(each skill and each stage of each skill) has advantages over each other. There's also a passive skill called Combination Strike. You can look that up on your own.
Reply Quote
I pretty much only played the monk in the beta while it was open and never learned any of this. I just spammed whichever spirit generator I had on my primary.

If you could please could you tell me more about the 3 stages and the different stages of the attack, or maybe send me to a post where it could tell me about it.

Thanks!

EDIT: Okay so I've read up on the monk's combo and understand it a little bit but have some questions.

First of all what would be the benefit of using two-to-three different spirit generators? If you want a certain combo for the 3rd devastating strike why wouldn't you just use that one spirit generator and press it three times to get the 3rd strike instead of using 2-3 spirit gens to get it?

How come Way of a Hundred Fists doesn't have a 3rd combo strike unless you get the Wndforce Flurry?

Just to make sure, only spirit generators have combos correct?

Thanks again!!!
Edited by Ebs#1345 on 4/24/2012 7:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm trying to read up on monk also and would appreciate these answers as well. Is there a monk guide somewhere that describes these combos and the use of multiple generators? Thanks.
Reply Quote

How come Way of a Hundred Fists doesn't have a 3rd combo strike unless you get the Wndforce Flurry?

I haven't seen anything that says it doesn't get a third strike. Windforce doesn't say that it adds a third strike, only that it changes the third strike.
Reply Quote
Because the different generators have different effects on their 3rd stages.

Fist of Thunder's 3rd stage is an AoE with a knockback. It is also the fastest spirit generator(i.e. your Attacks per Second are higher becaase it innately has APS boost)

Deadly Reach's 3rd stage has a 25m reach - the others are about 1/2 to 3/5ths of this.

Crippling Wave's 3rd stage does damage in a 360 degree AoE and slows opponents. The 1st 2 strike in a frontal arc(the 1st is about 120 degrees, the 2nd 180?)

Way of the Hundred Fist we don't know enough about to tell you exact details, because it's never been available in Beta. Stage 1 is a single strike. 2 is a flurry of punches(7 unruned). The 3rd is(I think) an AoE strike similar in size to FoT but w/o the knockback and that hits harder.

Each has it's own perks and disads. Additionally, there are runes that can change many of these effects. Deadly Reach's Forked Trident rune keeps the range of the attacks but adds a progressively larger frontal cone to the 2nd and 3rd strikes.

Thunderclap gives FoT a dash('teleport') on the first strike. WotHF has a similar rune. Windforce Flurry greatly increase the damage of the 3rd stage of WotHF. There are 5 runes for each power. Go read them.

Long story short is this: there are plenty of reasons to have more than one generator. Them being designed this way is a huge part of the monk classes design direction.

Not using them this way is a pretty big waste. Not everyone needs to take 3 generators. I also think taking just one is a waste. These skills give too much utility when used correctly. But hey, it's a game, right? People should play how they want without caring what other people think... as long as it works for them.
Reply Quote
blizzard said elective mode is something they want you to learn about from the community
Reply Quote
I got to play around with a 2 generator build during the open beta, one on each mouse button, and seemed to work ok. I used the first hit of Fists of Thunder - Thunderclap to teleport to a group, then Crippling Wave for the AoE hits.

I'm still wondering how a 3 gen build would work in terms of actual gameplay. L-click, R-click, 1 for the rotation seems awkward. I've seen reference to "mouse macros" in other threads, but I assume this applies to programmable gaming mice. Is the buff from Combination Strike going to be that vital?
Reply Quote
I'm still wondering how a 3 gen build would work in terms of actual gameplay. L-click, R-click, 1 for the rotation seems awkward. I've seen reference to "mouse macros" in other threads, but I assume this applies to programmable gaming mice. Is the buff from Combination Strike going to be that vital?

The passive skill Combination Strike is definitely not going to be vital, just viable. But if I were you or anyone else who wants to start the game with every trick up his sleeve, I'd look into mouse macros and mice capable of utilizing them.
Reply Quote
Penumbral - A 5 button mouse tends to be standard when it comes to PC gamers, the fourth and fifth button tend to be hit with your thumb and ring finger. And yes you can program the buttons with D3 (the same way you would change any key binds). I use one of the most basic mice the Microsoft 5 button laser mouse.
Edited by oonsar#1947 on 4/25/2012 8:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]