Diablo® III

1 gen or 3 gen?

90 Undead Death Knight
I've recently been playing around with monk builds (not in the beta) and I see a lot of people posting their 3 spirit gen builds. Are 1 gen builds not viable? Or are their benefits to both?

Here is my current build if anyone would like to give me some pointers

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UZXVTk!ZcX!YYacaY
Reply Quote
I don't see the benefit of having 3 spirit generators. Trying to combo generators correctly is tedious and it's way easier just to use one then spirit dump.

I personally am looking to use one generator along with 4 passive-ish skills and dashing strike for safety.
Reply Quote
There is a quite clear advantage with 2 gen and 3 gen builds compared to 1 gen builds, since most Spirit generators have some sort of passive bonus which you can keep up easily with mixed combos and there also is the Combination Strike passive skill which gives solid Damage increase, something no other passive skills seem to give.
Edited by Atech#2831 on 4/23/2012 9:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So where are these supposed "buffs" that you get from alternating generators? Considering most of the debuffs only last 3 seconds and they happen on the third strike, you'll be needing to have 3 attacks per second to even use more than two generators for their final hits. Good luck ever doing that with anything but dual-wielding, and good luck finding decent (super fast) weapons before Hell.
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/23/2012 10:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Only based on open beta experiences, I used two gen, one for more of a single target, and after unlocking it, crippling wave for the stun/aoe. I really didn't need to use the spenders, other than just for fun, like WoL, as the Monk was kicking serious a$$. It will be significantly different come NM & beyond. But I'm guessing that throughout the game, I'll probably play similarly-- using a two gen build, one single target and one stun/aoe.

Unless they change it drastically, I seriously doubt you'll need more than 2 generators (with the amount of +spirit regen/leech on weps & gear), but it may just come down to personal style of play for folks.

/tibs out
Reply Quote
In beta, I usually use 2 geneators. My standard combo being DR->DR->CW. The first two hits of DR are just as fast as FoT, and the third hit of CW is nearly as fast. All together, it's a fast, large AoE sequence, with good debuffs from CW.

Obviously, when the game goes live, I'll have to check out WotHF and all the currently unavailable rune effects, but I'll probably stick to a 2 generator build.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Alright, thanks for all the input! I think I'll try a similar build to Tibster.

my reworked build

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aWXVTk!ZcX!YZbacY
Reply Quote
04/23/2012 10:12 AMPosted by Void
So where are these supposed "buffs" that you get from alternating generators? Considering most of the debuffs only last 3 seconds and they happen on the third strike, you'll be needing to have 3 attacks per second to even use more than two generators for their final hits. Good luck ever doing that with anything but dual-wielding, and good luck finding decent (super fast) weapons before Hell.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UWkdfb!Zfg!Zcaccc
Here's a good example of a 3-combo generator build focused on damage specifically for group play.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aWQdbg!ZXT!ZZccZa
Here's a good example of a 3-combo generator build focused on defense specifically for hardcore.

You won't have to attack three times in one second just to keep all of these buffs up, but it will certainly help. Mouse macros will make it incredibly easy actually. Both of these 3-combo generator builds swing from one extreme to the other in focusing on damage versus defense, equally showing the value of rolling multiple buffs/debuffs on monsters.
Reply Quote
You won't have to attack three times in one second just to keep all of these buffs up, but it will certainly help. Mouse macros will make it incredibly easy actually. Both of these 3-combo generator builds swing from one extreme to the other in focusing on damage versus defense, equally showing the value of rolling multiple buffs/debuffs on monsters.

Oh hmm, it looks like only one of them is "the third hit" activation. I already know about the macro option, but I would rather not have to use a macro to play the game for me. It just cheapens it and doesn't actually make you any better, it just might save on carpal tunnel.
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/23/2012 11:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Unless they change it drastically, I seriously doubt you'll need more than 2 generators (with the amount of +spirit regen/leech on weps & gear), but it may just come down to personal style of play for folks

Regarding the Monk, Blizzard has stated they want players to be able to choose whatever style of play they feel most comfortable with. They were particularly referring to the preference of 1, 2, 3, or even 4-combo generator builds. We can expect any one of these routes to be perfectly viable at any difficulty in the game. However, the specs or builds in games tend to get balanced in a manner that takes into account their level of performance difficulty. I for one am swaying towards the multiple-combo generator builds because they will likely be more difficult to perfect, which means more rewarding in viability.

I think you're absolutely right when you say the access to spirit regeneration from gear and builds will potentially yield an overkill in spirit-pool. This is why I think builds with frequent Mantra reactivation will become more popular as our available pool of spirit increases.
Reply Quote
Crippling wave in particular has ridiciously good secondary buff and debuff effects on runes which are supposed to work on all hits.
Edited by Atech#2831 on 4/23/2012 11:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
04/23/2012 11:14 AMPosted by Snoo
I think you're absolutely right when you say the access to spirit regeneration from gear and builds will potentially yield an overkill in spirit-pool. This is why I think builds with frequent Mantra reactivation will become more popular as our available pool of spirit increases.

I hope so, Snoo, because I really don't want to waste a passive on an extra four minutes for extending time of the mantra. I may be affected by having played WoW and other MMOs where I very much want my buff timers to be as long as possible, and that little extra burst for 3 seconds at the onset of popping the mantra didn't seem worth the spirit cost to me. But if my spirit is pretty much full continuously, then I can totally see utilizing that 3 second burst a hell of a lot more often. An absolute must for late game champ packs/bosses.

edit: grammar. can't think in english this morning
Edited by Iamblank#1351 on 4/23/2012 11:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/23/2012 11:39 AMPosted by Tibster
I hope so, Snoo, because I really don't want to waste a passive on an extra four minutes for extending time of the mantra. I may be affected by having played WoW and other MMOs where I very much want my buff timers to be as long as possible, and that little extra burst for 3 seconds at the onset of popping the mantra didn't seem worth the spirit cost to me. But if my spirit is pretty much full continuously, then I can totally see utilizing that 3 second burst a hell of a lot more often. An absolute must for late game champ packs/bosses.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aWQUfb!Zfg!abbZcY
Here's an example of what I think would be a legitimate 4-gen combo build. I don't know how you feel about mouse macros, but this kind of build is probably one where your spirit pool would feel almost unlimited. You'd have Thunderclap, Cyclone Strike, and 15% faster run/walk (most of the time) all at your disposal to ensure highest possible attack up-time. I speculate that when you encounter large packs of monster with this build you would have enough spirit regeneration to keep MoH(Boon of Protection) up virtually every 3 seconds AND still have some excess spirit for Cyclone Strike(Soothing Breeze) with Guiding Light.

I probably wouldn't use this exact build until the end-game when I have a lot of IAS through gear and incredibly fast 1-handers as well. I predict having to get around 5.00 APS or more in order to make this build work to its full potential.
Edited by Snoo#1470 on 4/23/2012 12:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't see the benefit of having 3 spirit generators. Trying to combo generators correctly is tedious and it's way easier just to use one then spirit dump.

I personally am looking to use one generator along with 4 passive-ish skills and dashing strike for safety.

very easy actually, and depending on what your going for no you dont have to have a 3 gen build. but if the stats/skills/runes stay as they are now, and going for maximum damage your 1 gen builds wong get close to my 3 gen build.. not even close.
Reply Quote
I feel that users of 3 spirit generators give up too much for too little.
Reply Quote
04/23/2012 10:12 AMPosted by Void

Foresight - 18% damage bonus for 30s
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#b!!c
Reply Quote
04/23/2012 03:09 PMPosted by Tuco

yep it does feel like a big sacrifice. many skills i want to use along with it but the dmg output is unmatched and may make up for all the fluff..
Reply Quote
04/23/2012 03:27 PMPosted by edyrem

yep it does feel like a big sacrifice. many skills i want to use along with it but the dmg output is unmatched and may make up for all the fluff..

I think it might be better if there were high output spirit spenders. Wave of light is a huge spirit spender, but at +312% damage it's not really worth it.
Reply Quote
04/23/2012 03:30 PMPosted by Tuco

I think it might be better if there were high output spirit spenders. Wave of light is a huge spirit spender, but at +312% damage it's not really worth it.

yea. I agree. 3gen builds will def be spirit happy. making me wish we had a spirit cap passive like barbarians. but all said, my 3 gen build still has a cool spender move/heal/mantra. the only think i cant really squeeze in is our cool defensive abilities like serenity. hopefully such high dmg will cancel this out.
Reply Quote
I would only go w/ 2 max. The only reason to go with 2 is to have your basic spam, and a situational spam(like an AOE situation or a gap closer). The reason why is b/c it's extremely unreliable to combo 3 abilities together with how click spammy this game is, and completely unnecessary considering their similar purpose.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]