Diablo® III

Diablo III - The Customizability Story

Try to +1 this so people can see the reasons behind this instead of creating duplicate threads.

I've been seeing a lot more customization complaint threads lately, and I'm not sure why. It is most likely because a lot of people finally had the chance to experience the slaying of demons in the Diablo III open beta weekend.. But, anyways, This has been discussed so many times, and I thought I'd post a few videos addressing Diablo III's customization and why Blizzard made it the way it is.

My personal belief is that everyone tries comparing Diablo III to Diablo II, and they aren't realizing that Diablo II was extremely linear in itself. You either had the choice to screw up your character, or follow the optimum build, that everyone else was doing. Watch these interviews with Jay Wilson if you don't quite understand.

Why Skill Points Were Removed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVTVMqtmxPU

Why We Can't Pick Attribute Points:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuKvxab1kBk

I'm also posting some videos showing personal customization options.

Dyes/Armor Customization
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBLh6tsEbS0

Banner Customization:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5nBeJDC3PY
Edited by iTzLuk on 4/23/2012 6:47 PM PDT
Why be informed when I could be out complaining about customization without knowing what elective mode is or that the game doesn't force me start over when I gimp my character?
04/23/2012 06:15 PMPosted by eightohfive
Why be informed when I could be out complaining about customization without knowing what elective mode is or that the game doesn't force me start over when I gimp my character?

Right. Kiddies gonna whine no matter what.

By the way, good post OP.
Edited by Croaker#1710 on 4/23/2012 6:19 PM PDT
bump
Community Manager
I've tried to reply to a couple threads, and it seems like there's just a desire to argue about it. I don't get a lot of sense that people want to really understand why, just that they played up to level 13, saw that the game is not Diablo II, and are upset about that. I'm not really sure how to have a conversation about it when there's just bad feelings and no one asking questions or wanting to learn more.

I can say "Wait until you have the entire game and its systems before passing judgment on the first few guided levels." but that doesn't go very far. People have seen skill trees before, they know what they are, and a diversion away from them is jarring. People like clicking a + button to spend attribute points, any systems attempting to make that more interesting or engaging is met with skepticism. I get it. It's tough to really understand how this is all going to play out together. I just constantly wish people took an approach of wanting to understand something before deeming it bad or wrong. Not to get preachy, but it's a nature that certainly extends beyond video games.

One thing I'm sure of, and why I don't find much interest in entering the argument, is that it'll all change after the game is released and people can see the full game and its design for what it is. It makes me sad seeing someone put off the game entirely because they want that + button, and anything but that is wrong, but ... ashamedly I also am at a loss of how to counter that way of thinking.
Edited by Bashiok on 4/23/2012 6:32 PM PDT
99 Orc Death Knight
Once people can divorce their personal preferences and need for nostalgia from their opinion of the game, they'll see it in a different light. Just because a game is not precisely what you imagined it to be, it does not make it a bad game. Merely unexpected. And people can't mentally separate that from a game actually being "bad."
Edited by Berkilak#1418 on 4/23/2012 6:33 PM PDT
:(
I've tried to reply to a couple threads, and it seems like there's just a desire to argue about it. I don't get a lot of sense that people want to really understand why, just that they played up to level 13, saw that the game is not Diablo II, and are upset about that. I'm not really sure how to have a conversation about it when there's just bad feelings and no one asking questions or wanting to learn more.

I can say "Wait until you have the entire game and its systems before passing judgment on the first few guided levels." but that doesn't go very far. People have seen skill trees before, they know what they are, and a diversion away from them is jarring. People like clicking a + button to spend attribute points, any systems attempting to make that more interesting or engaging is met with skepticism. I get it. It's tough to really understand how this is all going to play out together. I just constantly wish people took an approach of wanting to understand something before deeming it bad or wrong. Not to get preachy, but it's a nature that certainly extends beyond video games.

One thing I'm sure of, and why I don't find much interest in entering the argument, is that it'll all change after the game is released and people can see the full game and its design for what it is. It makes me sad seeing someone put off the game entirely because they want that + button, and anything but that is wrong, but ... ashamedly I also am at a loss of how to counter that way of thinking.

I fully agree with you bash

I fully agree with you bash

I agree with you agreeing.
Great post. Thanks.
@Bashiok The fact that these people are so put-off by the idea of actually understanding why Diablo III has developed towards this model makes me think any counter you could come up with to their way of thinking would fall on deaf ears. Their preconceived notion of what the game should be trumps everything else... until it doesn't. Let us just hope a fair number of them give the full game a fair shake so they have the opportunity to decide it's not so bad. :)
And the lip puckering begins....
04/23/2012 06:29 PMPosted by Bashiok

Here's my rebuttal for you, mister blue:

This is an open beta. Blizzard opened their doors to everyone and said, "Come on in!" without even the protection of a non-disclosure agreement. They encouraged people to play and pass judgement, then tell everyone about it. The idea is that you'd have all these excited people telling everyone how great Diablo 3 is.

The problem with this is, they restricted content to the point where you got to dip your feet. The gameplay in the first part of the first act is so simple it's insulting to the intelligence of the player. The Skeleton King and the art of the crypt is bubbly and pretty and just doesn't look macabre. The Skeleton King himself is a generic evil, literally going "muhahaha, you cannot defeat me!" before putting out a weak attempt on a normal difficulty without even posing a real threat ever. After killing him handily, there is a really big and annoying text plastered on your screen basically saying "YOUR WINNER!".

This was a bad experience. The demo was not well put together. It was insulting, mundane, and demonstrated so very little that people couldn't walk away with anything more than aspirations that the full game will be better, and that's what you're saying. "We know what we are doing, have faith."

Experience tells a story that you are trying to fight against. The demo did not reflect 100% positively on a game that I'm sure will be amazing.
Edited by Joshua on 4/23/2012 6:38 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]