Diablo® III

Diablo III - The Customizability Story

90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/23/2012 10:36 PMPosted by Narthina
I was just wondering if they are gonna have any skills customized to weapons in diablo 3 like d2 had. an example of this would be guided arrow for a bowzon or lighting fury for a Javazon

The Demon Hunter's ranged attacks only work with bows and crossbows.

Demon Hunters can equip quivers in their off-hands, while Wizards have Wizard Orbs and Witch Doctors have Fetish Dolls, all of which are equippable only by those specific classes and give specific bonuses.
90 Orc Shaman
I am dumbfounded on how blue text works, I don't even see any markup and when I delete a single letter and preview it vanishes!!!! What programming does this.
I posted this on another thread. It is the simplicity of the builds in D2 that make me LOVE this game a lot more.
I played D2 hardcore, and one of the characters I loved most was the MF Cold Sorc. How it was builded? SIMPLE.

Skills (@lvl93) : Cold: Max Blizzard + ALL synergies.
Lightning: 1 to Telekinesis , 1 to Teleport
Fire: 1 to Warmth
With all quests done on all dificulties you still get 6 extra points @lvl99 iirc.

Stats : 95 STR 75 DEX 0 ENERGY FULL VIT.

(Simple) Item build : Tal Rasha set. War Traveler. Chance Guard. 2x Nagel and Rhyme runeword on shield.

That's the perfect 100% Cold cheap build. You can boost the items a bit, but you wont get far. END OF GAME. Just to make it look a little bit more pretty I used 7 lines, but pretty much 50-60 words, including a 15 word explanation on extra skillpoints.

Also, the other point is that if the reader has enough brains, he doesnt need ANY explanation on how to use this character. Telep telep telep, blizzard blizzard blizzard /END. How many skills you normally use on this build? 3 top (spike in between blizzards).

And please, dont make me explain this very same thing on Hammerdin because it's a bit more dumber (the other famous build on D2).
It will always take longer for an idiot to understand, that is just how it works.
Community Manager
Sorry, then. :P I honestly just wanted to see the proper comparison with all the variants.

Also for reference you finish Normal right around level 30, Nightmare at 50, and Hell at 60.

Diablo 2 Barbarian skill progression

Level 1:
Bash
Howl
Find Potion

Level 6:
Leap
Double Swing
Taunt
Shout

Level 12:
Stun
Double Throw
Find Item

Level 18:
Leap Attack
Concentrate
Battle Cry

Level 24:
Frenzy
Battle Orders
Grim Ward

Level 30:
Whirlwind
Berserk
War Cry
Battle Command

=========================

Diablo 3 Barbarian skill progression

1 Bash
2 Hammer of the Ancients
3 Cleave
4 Ground Stomp
5 Rend
6 Bash Clobber Rune
7 Hammer of the Ancients Rolling Thunder Rune
8 Leap
9 Ancient Spear
9 Cleave Rupture Rune
-
11 Frenzy
11 Rend Ravage Rune
12 Seismic Slam
12 Ground Stomp Deafening Crash Rune
13 Revenge
13 Bash Onslaught Rune
14 Weapon Throw
14 Leap Iron Impact Rune
15 Hammer of the Ancients Smash Rune
15 Ancient Spear Grappling Hooks Rune
16 Sprint
17 Threatening Shout
17 Frenzy Sidearm Rune
18 Cleave Reaping Swing Rune
18 Ground Stomp Wrenching Smash Rune
18 Seismic Slam Stagger Rune
19 Earthquake
19 Rend Blood Lust Rune
19 Revenge Vengeance is Mine Rune
20 Whirlwind
21 Furious Charge
21 Leap Launch Rune
21 Weapon Throw Mighty Throw Rune
22 Battle Rage
22 Ignore Pain
22 Frenzy Triumph Rune
23 Ancient Spear Skirmish Rune
23 Sprint Rush Rune
23 Threatening Shout Intimidate Rune
24 Earthquake Giant's Stride Rune
24 Whirlwind Dust Devils Rune
25 Call of the Ancients
25 Seismic Slam Shattered Ground Rune
25 Revenge Best Server Cold Rune
25 Weapon Throw Richochet Rune
26 Overpower
26 Bash Punish Rune
26 Battle Rage Marauder's Rage Rune
26 Ignore Pain Bravado Rune
27 Hammer of the Ancients The Devil's Anvil Rune
27 Furious Charge Battering Ram Rune
28 War Cry
28 Ground Stomp Trembling Stomp Rune
28 Threatening Shout Falter Rune
29 Sprint Run Like the Wind Rune
29 Earthquake Chilling Earth Rune
29 Whirlwind Hurricane Rune
29 Overpower Storm of Steel Rune
30 Wrath of the Berserker

31+ Another 72 assorted runes

===

A Diablo 2 Barbarian will finish Normal difficulty with 20 different skills to choose from.

A Diablo 3 Barbarian will finish Normal difficulty (level 30, per Bashiok's confirmation) with 59 (FIFTY-NINE) different skills to choose from. He will continue gaining skills after level 30 all the way up to level 60 at the rate of about 2 new runes to try per level, for another 72 (SEVENTY-TWO) skills left to be earned by the end of Normal, or a total of 131 different skills to select by the time he's just about to start Inferno difficulty.

This is awesome. Thank you.
@Lomax: Sorry for going off like that. Hopefully in the end everyone can see that Diablo 3 really is being designed to let you play your way :)
i'm having fun and I think blizzard is doing a great job. Get over the little stuff and accept what you get now until they make it better. quallity takes time and give it time
90 Draenei Shaman
I love it :D
04/23/2012 10:41 PMPosted by Doctórmentor
I am dumbfounded on how blue text works, I don't even see any markup and when I delete a single letter and preview it vanishes!!!! What programming does this.

This place has had some of the most inexplicable glitches I have ever seen. Like randomly prompting you to re-log when you spend too much time writing a post. Then you log in and your entire text vanishes and becomes unrecoverable. Try hitting the back button? Nope! Check your history? Uh uh, not there either.

Sometimes I feel like they coded this stuff in just to mess with us.
85 Blood Elf Warrior
04/23/2012 10:39 PMPosted by Vv
Seriously guys, now Im really curious. What the hell were you trying to do in D2 if you werent seeing which builds could make it to 99?

You spend a rather large amount of time building up to that point. Shouldn't you enjoy the journey there too?

Maybe, but that wasnt what the core of the game was about (for me). Does that make it a better game than D3? How the hell will we know until we play the crap out of it? It is very different though, and if thats the challenge you were looking for, then I can see where you'd be disappointed. I for one cant wait until may 15th -no more F-ing WoW. WOOOOHOOOO!!!!
[quote]This was a bad experience. The demo was not well put together. It was insulting, mundane, and demonstrated so very little that people couldn't walk away with anything more than aspirations that the full game will be better, and that's what you're saying. "We know what we are doing, have faith."

Experience tells a story that you are trying to fight against. The demo did not reflect 100% positively on a game that I'm sure will be amazing.

You keep calling it a demo. It was a beta, and it was utilized as if it were a beta. No cares if you didn't get the experience of the whole game, because it was a beta.
Edited by Targeted#1274 on 4/24/2012 8:12 AM PDT
It's funny, because a player knows what they are interested in. If you play something and receive pretty much no entertainment value that appeals to you, you know it's just not for you. I played Diablo 1 and loved it. I played Diablo 2 and Loved it. I am trying to play Diablo 3, now something is wrong. It doesn't give me any motivation. I am not satisfied, why?

I'l tell you a little game called Mass Effect, I played it and enjoyed it. Why? Because of the focus on true RPG elements. But I really don't like FPS games, they offer nothing to me. When playing Diablo 3 I get that same feeling, it doesn't offer me anything. The game focuses more on action game play and less on true rpg elements. Those elements for me were a degree in permanence of actual choice while levelling.

Don't get me wrong Diablo 3 has lots of customization. But it's all open and runs very linear. There is no incentive to make a choice, my choices don't really matter. I could get my Nephew who is 5 years old to level me up and not worry at all.
Edited by StormReaver#1628 on 4/23/2012 10:52 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Priest
Ok i made a quick chart with both the Wizards skills from D2 and D3, going only to lvl 13 that was the max the beta let we go, and even at that lower level D3 had more customization.
I counted every skills and runes from Diablo 3 ( Wizzard lvl 13 ), because Wizard on Diablo 2 had a lot of passives also, and sometimes a rune that only increases the dmg you can see as spending another point on the same skill on Diablo 2.

Wizard
The numbers follow -> Level /// Diablo 2 Skills Choices you Can Possibly Obtain /// Diablo 2 Maximum Skills Obtained /// Diablo 3 Skills Obtained

Wizard
Level / Diablo 2 Skills Choices / Diablo 2 Skills You can have / Diablo 3 Skills
1 4 1 1
2 4 3 2
3 4 4 3
4 4 5 4
5 4 6 5
6 10 7 6
7 10 8 7
8 10 9 8
9 10 10 10
10 10 11 12
11 10 12 14
12 15 13 16
13 15 14 18

For me Diablo 3 cleary steps up after level 10, and I can see it obviously getting more customization without even making us re-roll anytime we want to change. ( Possible now too on Diablo 2 )

value that appeals to you, you know it's just not for you. I played Diablo 1 and loved it. I played Diablo 2 and Loved it. I am trying to play Diablo 3, now something is wrong. It doesn't give me any motivation. I am not satisfied, why?

I have to agree I loved Diablo 1, played Diablo 2 didnt appealed to me that much, however after playing Diablo 3 I felt in love with it. Diferent people think diferent I guess...
Edited by Cleww#1872 on 4/23/2012 10:54 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Hunter
04/23/2012 10:48 PMPosted by Sarvswati
Maybe, but that wasnt what the core of the game was about (for me). Does that make it a better game than D3? How the hell will we know until we play the crap out of it? It is very different though, and if thats the challenge you were looking for, then I can see where you'd be disappointed. I for one cant wait until may 15th -no more F-ing WoW. WOOOOHOOOO!!!!

I'm not entirely sure we're arguing with each other, I'm totally sold in Diablo 3.

I would argue however, that Diablo 3 both seems to make the journey more meaningful, because you're not discouraged from trying stuff out (whereas Diablo 2 eventually convinces you that spending points as you get them is probably not a good idea), while also probably having a tighter end game.

I mean, how many people even got to 99 anyway? More than likely your build eventually comes together somewhere well before then. Whereas Diablo 3 you're usually getting stuff every level all the way up to 59, 60, and you're meant to cap, and then end game really kicks in.
unbelieveble, you ingrate individuals begging for better gaming when you wallow in your whiney non solution rants
no one wants a + button, they want a choice button. (a permanent choice)

I think subclasses with unique skill sets is the best eventual solution.
Edited by Dealrach#1951 on 4/23/2012 11:16 PM PDT
04/23/2012 10:49 PMPosted by Deuce
The D3 systems have enough strengths of their own that you don't have to discredit Blizzard North's choices constantly. And do you honestly think that the North team didn't have the same game system theory discussions that your team did? They asked "should all chars of a class have access to all the same abiliites?' They asked "should skill points be permanent or should we allow for respecs?' They asked "should we base all chars damage off weapons?' They asked "should stat allocation represent a meaningful difference in gameplay?" They asked "should players be allowed to duel and fight eachother in game?" They asked "should players want to reroll to try a different build." They made choices off these discussions, and D2 was born from it. Respect that they did a great, successful job and we can respect your team's choices and design a lot easier.

They also didn't have over a decade of insight gleaned from previous games to see which design decisions were good for adding to a game's fun and which ones were actually just hindering it.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]