Diablo® III

Diablo III - The Customizability Story

. . . And that's insanely exciting from both a design and player perspective.
It would be a lot more exciting for more players if they knew about elective mode.

Seriously, why is elective mode hidden? It's causing a lot of unnecessary frustration, confusion and complaints.
Edited by Lucid#1623 on 4/23/2012 7:33 PM PDT
Blizzard Employee
04/23/2012 07:22 PMPosted by BrownWalrus
You put out a system that moves you along and does not give you a SINGLE choice in the matter

Hrm. Oh, you mean until level 13? Well we specifically unlock very few abilities to start, but pretty quickly we have to be dumping handfuls on you every level. With as many skills and passives as there are it very quickly ramps up where every level you're getting four or five new things to try out, in addition to everything before it. There's no shortage of choice. I agree the choices are unlocked in a pre-determined way, but so are skill trees.
Why do people insisting the beta to be a demo? is this some sort of conspiracy theory? If using beta as a tool of marketing makes it a demo, then every single open-beta out there is a demo.
04/23/2012 07:31 PMPosted by BrambLe
The main issue with the world, and mostly America, is that most people lack basic critical thinking skills.

I totally agree!

We need more critical thinkers!
85 Draenei Paladin
04/23/2012 07:18 PMPosted by Diosys
I really hope you are trolling right now.

don't worry ..just the difference between the way other companies handle critrism of their product with the way bliz just lets 50 people make the same post in ten minute with the same complaint ..

They would never lock someone account from getting the game .. but letting it go on is not helpfull.. D2 and D3 are two differnt games with 10 years + of development learning ..between wow and the 100 other games out there ..

look if you left your wife after ten years .. most other women would kick you to the curb real quick if you where to complain that she wasn't mostly like your now or soon to be ex wife ..

D3 is not D2 .. its a new game built on some of the mechanics and a differnt storyline ..
85 Tauren Paladin
04/23/2012 07:33 PMPosted by Bashiok
You put out a system that moves you along and does not give you a SINGLE choice in the matter

Hrm. Oh, you mean until level 13? Well we specifically unlock very few abilities to start, but pretty quickly we have to be dumping handfuls on you every level. With as many skills and passives as there are it very quickly ramps up where every level you're getting four or five new things to try out, in addition to everything before it. There's no shortage of choice. I agree the choices are unlocked in a pre-determined way, but so are skill trees.

Too bad we can't upvote Blue posts. +1
Blizzard Employee
04/23/2012 07:32 PMPosted by Lucied
. . . And that's insanely exciting from both a design and player perspective.
It would be a lot more exciting for more players if they knew about elective mode.

Seriously, why is elective mode hidden? It's causing a lot of unnecessary frustration, confusion and complaints.

Well I wouldn't say it's hidden, and we have a loading screen tip that calls it out. We honestly didn't want to continue adding things to the skill UI, and as a more advanced option it felt right for it to be found or learned about through 'tribal knowledge', as it were. We intend for the game to be played at first with the current set up, and if someone wants to try a more advanced option they can turn on Elective.
I don't see why more people cant understand Bashiok's reasoning. Just wait for the game to come out guys I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I still am confused why you decided that the first hour of the game should lack any sort of interesting plot, character development, or exploration. First impressions matter a great deal in this industry.

Since I've been a naysayer most of this thread, I just thought you'd like to know that I 100% support this new system. Even in the beta, when I maxed out all 5 classes, I found myself going back and comparing unlocked skills to previous skills and mixing it up.

When I was playing Witch Doctor, for instance, I found that the 1st skill with the three darts and Dire Bats was a great combination. Bats for mob control, and darts for killing the big bad guys. Then, on other classes, I saw these other (less intelligent and handsome) witch doctors using spiders all the time. The spiders sucked. Jars take too long to actually hit their target, and then the spiders do so little damage and last for so short a time they're pointless. Darts and bats are to the point and kill stuff.

So, yeah, that's top-notch, A++.
Edited by Joshua on 4/23/2012 7:38 PM PDT
Let me tell you Bashiok, I've been a avid Blizzard fan since since my first Pentium II toaster-oven, and I'm so glad to see how your philosophy is maturing so much.

A lot of people just don't realize how EASY it would be for you guys to just give up, scrap all these new systems, and just go back to the same old stale piece of toast we've been buttering for years...But you aren't.

hahahah
F-ing epic.

Well played, sir
04/23/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Bashiok
Well I wouldn't say it's hidden, and we have a loading screen tip that calls it out. We honestly didn't want to continue adding things to the skill UI, and as a more advanced option it felt right for it to be found or learned about through 'tribal knowledge', as it were. We intend for the game to be played at first with the current set up, and if someone wants to try a more advanced option they can turn on Elective.
'Hidden' may not have been your intention, but it was the result. Do I really have to post links to all the threads and posts from people complain about the game restricting their skill choices? Many, many players want the freedom to pick the builds they want, but it's clear elective mode is too hidden.

There's plenty of room in the skill window. I'm sure you could find some room in there to put something about elective mode. What would be the harm in that?
Well bashiok, I've been pretty happy with all of the decisions you've made and you basically just backed them all up again... because for some reason people dont do any research before complaining, but i just wanted to say that i think you guys are doing a great job and it's a great game
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I still am confused why you decided that the first hour of the game should lack any sort of interesting plot, character development, or exploration. First impressions matter a great deal in this industry.

Within the first hour of the game you learn that Tristram has been rebuilt, Deckard Cain lives, has a niece, and that niece is the daughter of Adria and the Warrior from Diablo 1.

I mean, is it really the game's fault if you read about this before you started playing it?
Blizzard Employee

Why are you confused? They have to have some sort of stopping point in a beta. The SK boss happened to be a perfect stopping point. Bashiok stated that following the SK, there were events in the plot that they didn't want to reveal.

No, Grug thinks the beginning of the game is boring. I don't really have anything to say about it except that we disagree. I guess I'd add that many people tend to think other people know what they know, or have been following the game, or understand all of the game mechanics, etc.

For someone that's been following the game closely, and furthermore is in the beta, yeah I bet up to the SK is old news by now. That's not the case for everyone that will pick up the game, obviously.
Edited by Bashiok on 4/23/2012 7:45 PM PDT
85 Draenei Mage
Skeleton King himself is a generic evil, literally going "muhahaha, you cannot defeat me!" before putting out a weak attempt on a normal difficulty without even posing a real threat ever. After killing him handily, there is a really big and annoying text plastered on your screen basically saying "YOUR WINNER!".

I lol'ed
/fist bump @ Bashiok

Stay strong!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]