Diablo® III

Diablo III Class Short Stories- Updated

(Sticky)

Well I think that it's pretty interesting how the author reversed the original quote to fit the metaphor. At least, FreeLoser got us talking/thinking about it. :)
Reply Quote

lol , that's a wrong quote , ''Trees that don't bend with the wind, won't last the storm'' this is the right one lol

It's the wrong quote from a fictional story? I could ask the author if they were inspired by the "original" quote, but given that this is a work of fiction, I believe they are permitted to shape it however serves their purpose.

Kind of funny how in one quote the tree breaks and in the other the tree bends, but both quotes are about strength against adversity lol. Metaphors are great. They can go any which way you want them to.

Edit: Well, Valendir beat me to it.
Edited by Rokit#1503 on 4/24/2012 2:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/24/2012 11:57 AMPosted by Nethaera
You get a zombie flavored cookie! ;)

Can you imagine what a zombie flavored cookie would actually taste and smell like.....ive got a strong stomach, but man that would be foul!
Reply Quote
04/24/2012 11:57 AMPosted by Nethaera
First to read!

You get a zombie flavored cookie! ;)

HAHAHAHAH +1000 for this !
Reply Quote
04/24/2012 11:45 AMPosted by NoxeOut
First to read!

More like first to respond.
Reply Quote
I thought the whole point of reversing the quote was to indicate that the unyielding had the wrong philosophy. I am assuming the author realized the original version of the quote and chose to alter it so we'd know right off that it was wrong and this particular teacher was wrong.
Reply Quote
Best- Barb story - It was pretty BA. I think the author captured that character very well, in regards to the way they viewed the world and everything. I also loved the way he implemented those goat creatures.

2nd - Witch Doctor - I don't like the character too much overall, but this story was pretty interesting. I love the way he showed us their society and their way of life. It wasn't what I was expecting. I aso liked the way he led up to how he heard about the comet at New Tristram. I didn't really like the ending though, but that's probably just me.

3rd - Tie between the monk story and the demon hunter

I thought the monk story was pretty interesting overall. I loved the characters in this story, and I liked the way he implemented the martial arts as being tied to their... er.. resolve.

The demon hunter story was probably the most dramatic. I thought it was really interesting how the demons tried to get inside their heads, this was actually very well done.
Reply Quote
04/24/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Nethaera

lol , that's a wrong quote , ''Trees that don't bend with the wind, won't last the storm'' this is the right one lol

It's the wrong quote from a fictional story? I could ask the author if they were inspired by the "original" quote, but given that this is a work of fiction, I believe they are permitted to shape it however serves their purpose.

If I can assume that since this is the monk, the lore was borrowed from the Tao Te Ching. If so, Lao Tzu said

"Soldiers trained to fight to the death will die.
A tree that cannot bend with the wind
will snap."

The metaphor is based on flexibility and non-being. If Blizzard meant to say that the tree that bends will break, then I am interested to find out what the metaphor is here.
Reply Quote
04/24/2012 03:35 PMPosted by Maliciant
I thought the whole point of reversing the quote was to indicate that the unyielding had the wrong philosophy. I am assuming the author realized the original version of the quote and chose to alter it so we'd know right off that it was wrong and this particular teacher was wrong.

This particular teacher was Lau Tzu. The whole idea of Taoism is non-being and not resisting. I hope that Blizzard knew this, like you mentioned, but that they wanted to use a different metaphor in regards to fighting the spawn of Hell rather than the nature of human-kind.
Reply Quote
This is honestly amazing, I did not expect this much content involving backstory. Freaking excellent job blizz!
Reply Quote
I'm confused that there's an argument going on about where a fictional sentence came from. Yes there are real quotes from Eastern philosophical texts that are similar but that doesn't mean this author used one and changed it. It's fiction, things are made up.
Reply Quote
04/24/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Nethaera

pwnt
Reply Quote
Read the DH and Barb stories. Great stories indeed!

Will start reading Monk's today!
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure they meant to subvert the real-world quote.

Based on the character that the saying comes from in the story, and what happens to him because of his taking this saying to heart, we can surmise that while the quote says one thing, the story by Blizzard is stating that it is incorrect, or at least not true in this particular circumstance, thus reinforcing that the real-world version of the saying (which had been subverted) is truer/better/etc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]