Diablo® III

Mystic Ally Usefulness

How useful do you all think mystic ally will be in the different difficulties, if useful at all?

Is it good enough to replace another ability? Air ally giving you 100 spirit on attack seems really useful but 2% chance of that happening seems really rare. Water allys ability seems nice as well but how often would it use the ability? Fire and eternal ally seem outclassed by other rune options. Earth looks like it would get worse as the difficulty increases.

Am I overlooking something?
Reply Quote
I bet very few people will use mystic ally. It's a waste of a skillslot when the monk has so many passives.
Reply Quote
I don't think its good as a DPS ability for the reason Tuco gave, but I think it is decent in a support build where you don't have a lot of spirit gen. I use it in my support build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WXgRjQ!fVc!ZZbaca

I don't have enough spirit to need a spirit dumping DPS ability. The mystic ally is probably one of our most cost effective abilities in terms of damage done/spirit cost. In my build I will have excess spirit occasionally so I see it as a good dps boost to spend that spirit on.
Reply Quote
when combined with the resolve passive, using the air ally rune pairs quite nicely since it's essentially a permanent 25% enemy damage reduction for the duration of the spirits life.
Reply Quote
Is the ally going to be like WD dogs and get one shot by elites, bosses etc?
Reply Quote
I'm hoping it has as much hp as the monk or else I see it failing in inferno.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
For me, it all depends on its survivability. The tooltip doesn't say anything about a time duration, so I have to assume that it will live until it is killed by enemies, but the low spirit cost might indicate the need for frequent re-casting. I've also wondered if monk heals will affect it (and if healing the Mystic Ally triggers Guiding Light).

The only video I've seen of the skill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvw5Rjp7Jws) shows the Mystic Ally hitting pretty slowly, so if it's consistently dying after only a few hits then :(
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure Guiding Light only works on other players after reading the tooltip again.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I'm hoping that the video was because Mystic Ally's APS is based on the player's APS. He was using a staff... I'm hoping it a really slow one, with little or no APS boost.

Otherwise, a skill I really like is gonna be another one that goes onto the pile of 'Monk skills I will NEVER use...'

At least until it gets buffed! ;P
Reply Quote
Could be useful in hardcore as an extra meatshield.
Reply Quote
04/24/2012 10:00 PMPosted by Auxion
Is the ally going to be like WD dogs and get one shot by elites, bosses etc?

Question of the day..
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
04/24/2012 11:26 PMPosted by Zanathos
I'm hoping that the video was because Mystic Ally's APS is based on the player's APS. He was using a staff... I'm hoping it a really slow one, with little or no APS boost.

This is probably right. I wasn't even looking at the monk. Or, at least, I hope it's right. I guess we'll just have to wait. Mystic Ally is probably the least discussed ability that the monk has, so it's hard to evaluate.
Reply Quote
I think people will find out ways to 1up their mantras with mystic ally. I'm looking at getting a 20% increase in vitality as only one of the possibilities. The mystic ally will probably be working in many of my builds as I tend to lean on Lashing Tail Kick to dish out the damages, Bruce Lee style.

Perhaps something like this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aUVZjQ!ZUb!accccY

Of course this is a silly build in inferno as it is clear to have too little survivability.
Reply Quote
04/24/2012 11:34 PMPosted by Enum
Could be useful in hardcore as an extra meatshield.

I see this skill as being very similar to the D2 Assassin's Shadow Warrior and Shadow Master skills.

They were amazing in Normal. Good in Nightmare. Nearly useless in hell. Their resource cost was too high to spam them and even with both of them maxxed they survived against a pack of champions or elites for about 2 seconds.

The only reason they were even worthwhile to have was that sometimes(!!!) they could delay a pack of enemies long enough to let me run away.

But, basically, a broken skill is still broken. If it can't contribute as much damage as another skill or at least take some hits(preferably both) then it's kinda useless. It doesn't need to be as good as the Witch Doctor's pets, but it does need to be useful.
Reply Quote
I always wanted to find an end game build using MA.

But until we can see how long they stay up i have not put in the time to consider it.

If i had to choose a skill to regen spirit more quickly, I would not choose MA with Air rune. 2% chance to earn 100 spirit does not seem to be all the reliable.

A better way to get a free 100 spirit more often would be BoH with Infused with Light. You will get a full spirit globe every 5-7 seconds. So unless that 2% chance proc's as often as BoH. I wont be using a skill slot for this purpose.

Now having him as a meat shield with Earth rune. Free taunt to pull enemies away and a bonus 10% HP. That would be worth looking into. Especially if you want to try running any MoR builds.
Reply Quote

But until we can see how long they stay up i have not put in the time to consider it.

If i had to choose a skill to regen spirit more quickly, I would not choose MA with Air rune. 2% chance to earn 100 spirit does not seem to be all the reliable.

A better way to get a free 100 spirit more often would be BoH with Infused with Light. You will get a full spirit globe every 5-7 seconds. So unless that 2% chance proc's as often as BoH. I wont be using a skill slot for this purpose.

Now having him as a meat shield with Earth rune. Free taunt to pull enemies away and a bonus 10% HP. That would be worth looking into. Especially if you want to try running any MoR builds.

Yeah. Even if it DOES use the character's APS and you have 3.5+ APS, that's still only averaging a proc once every 30 seconds... ish. Maybe if the chance increased incrementally every time it attacked(or every other time?) so that after 50 attacks you were guaranteed a proc?

2% is so low that it's really not worth even having.
Reply Quote
It may be worth it if you dont decide to use BoH and Infused with Light.

BOH w/ IWL is just to good to pass up for me. If in any build i have BoH iam going to use IWL over the bonus damage.

Bonus damage for me only shrines when combined with the passive. So its like i need to use 2 skills to reap 1 benefit vs's 1 skill to double my spirit output which in of itself is more damage.
Reply Quote

My proposed build (come release who knows what will change) is basically exactly that:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aWdijQ!Zeg!acbbcb

Normal boring 2gen fighting style, lots of mobility, have earth ally and only 1 spirit dump of MoH Boon spam so both you and ally live forever. Pretty strait forward but this feels like an all around survivable and balanced build.

In my ideal world WotHF Fists of Fury's "dash" is a good movement augment, in which case with ~4aps you MIGHT be able to spam it while holding shift to move around which would allow you to switch out FoT Thunderclap (loss of lighting dmg ftl) + DS Quicksilver for WotHF Fists of Fury + BoH Infused with Light. But that is just dreaming :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]