Diablo® III

Monk in Inferno

85 Human Warrior
After playing the monk over the open beta weekend and taking a close look at his later skills and abilities I'm definitely considering starting with one at launch. My only real concern is what exactly the monks play style will be in Hell and Inferno. Do you think monks will end up as more of a utility class were groups will prefer monks as offhealing/defensive ability builds for group survivability or will they still be a good damage class that can hold its own solo or in a group? I'm also curious how you think a monks play style will compare to the barb in Inferno, since I plan on choosing one or the other to start with at launch.
Reply Quote
A lot of people are making support monk builds and I think it's a bunch of bull!@#$. All the classes have supporting benefits, from mobs being distracted by the barbarian to being iced by the wizard to being distracted by WD's pets. The Monk's support is just more upfront. I think all classes will be DPS in inferno and all will have some support specced skills.
Reply Quote
Honest answer: Yes...

I think monk will be a very viable class in solo play on higher difficulties because we're able to build tankiness and damage at the same time.

That said, I think our role in groups is more in line with what you fear. Time will tell, but I don't think we can do as much raw dps as other classes, and the fact is that we have some amazing utility and heals. Skills like serenity and inner sanctuary are amazing at buying time for groups in hard encounters, and serenity can essentially negate a boss mechanic every 20 seconds.

Yeah, we can probably do decent DPS, but if you look at our utility most groups will probably want you playing a support role whether you're contributing much as DPS or not, you could probably contribute more as support.

That said, I also think monk is viable as a tank in a lot of situations. I don't think hybrid builds will be sought-after by many groups nor will dps built monks. Healing and tanking will be our two main group roles IMO.

In PvP I think we will be great as a tanky dps though, similar to soloplay.
Reply Quote
It really depends how hard inferno is. If it is as hard as Blizzard says, I think ideally monks will be wanted as support. Monks have the capacity to be the biggest support/utility role while still doing 'decent' damage it would appear.

Tuco, the thing about monk support abilities is they work in boss fights. I don't think major bosses can be stunned/frozen/cced in any manner and that is where the monks many sources of group heals will benefit the group.
Reply Quote
It really depends how hard inferno is. If it is as hard as Blizzard says, I think ideally monks will be wanted as support. Monks have the capacity to be the biggest support/utility role while still doing 'decent' damage it would appear.

Tuco, the thing about monk support abilities is they work in boss fights. I don't think major bosses can be stunned/frozen/cced in any manner and that is where the monks many sources of group heals will benefit the group.

I agree with this. I think Monks are going to be particularly support-heavy in the earliest stages of the game, when nobody has hand-me-down gear. Unfortunately I have to predict that we Monks will have an easier time progression through Inferno with a group of competent players than solo. Other classes (I'm thinking Witch Doctor mostly) might have an easier time soloing Inferno than doing it with a group.
Reply Quote
monks are about as much support as a barbarian who uses shouts is, what monks are is a crazy healing tank dps all in one and are much more effective building their character to be hard to kill through their healing or dodging and also highly damaging at the same time
Reply Quote
I think most of these builds that rely on all support skills, forget about the fact that you will have 3 other people in your group as well. If each one has 1 or 2 skills(passive or active) that provide either extra damage or some damage reduction for the group, you won't have to focus so much on support and can actually add in an extra fun or high damaging ability to play with. I think having resolve and a mantra is enough group support to make people want to keep you around.
Reply Quote
04/25/2012 01:47 PMPosted by TeejayMac
I think most of these builds that rely on all support skills, forget about the fact that you will have 3 other people in your group as well. If each one has 1 or 2 skills(passive or active) that provide either extra damage or some damage reduction for the group, you won't have to focus so much on support and can actually add in an extra fun or high damaging ability to play with. I think having resolve and a mantra is enough group support to make people want to keep you around.

Here's kind of a mix of the two I think:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UXVTkY!UZf!cbaYaY

Definitely not a build I would use in HC, but in SC, pretty much anything goes. I'm not clear on how the Blind works either on elites. They "recover faster" so obviously they are blinded for 1-2s, but how long does the hit debuff last? Surely it's more than the 1-2s duration; because that's literally one attack. I'm also highly suspicious of the BoH rune lasting three times as long as the cooldown.
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/25/2012 4:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
^ nice build
Reply Quote

Seeing as you have 5/6 skills as spenders, I'd definitely suggest you swap SSS's rune to Fulminating Assault. It only takes hitting on average about 1.3 enemies per hit to make it the best rune (dps wise), and Sustained Attack's cooldown lowering will actually be detrimental for you because you only have one source of generating spirit. Thats not even mentioning you chose the slowest attack speed generator lol.
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 4/26/2012 9:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Seeing as you have 5/6 skills as spenders, I'd definitely suggest you swap SSS's rune to Fulminating Assault. It only takes hitting on average about 1.3 enemies per hit to make it the best rune (dps wise), and Sustained Attack's cooldown lowering will actually be detrimental for you because you only have one source of generating spirit. Thats not even mentioning you chose the slowest attack speed generator lol.

Yeah, except that it's not that slow in comparison and it hits multiple times per phase of the chain. That build is assuming you have some passive spirit regen somewhere, and it's not like you will be spamming Conviction. The only part of the build that hogs spirit is EP if you plan on using it on multiple enemies at once, otherwise it should have no problems keeping up.

Could always dump the 12% rune for the 5 spirit returns if it becomes that much of an issue. Both BoH and Blind are situational too. So it's not like they would be burned on every cooldown either, so you need a real spirit dump besides just EP.

I mean seriously, unless each "hit" does not generate it's own spirit, then nothing else can touch this ability for spirit generation.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4443593/You_Will_Die_We_Promise-2_9_2012#blog

Anyway, it's all just assumptions until we can actually play around with all of the skills with decent gear.
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/26/2012 9:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
A few things about WotHF:

1. It IS the slowest attacking generator. That is a fact.
2. There is no way, with balancing in mind, that WotHF will classify unlike the other generators in terms of attacks per combo. If you watch the videos we've seen of the skill you'd see that its the 2nd attack that generates all the hits. If in fact its broken down how we think, then you'll get very small spirit returns from each hit, because people seem to think each hit which is part of it's 2nd attack will deal damage individually. It still only has technically 3 attacks despite one of them having multiple hits.

If you want to get technical, Quickening will most likely be the the best form of spirit generation. While Spirited Salvo may be the best on paper, the fact that you must sacrifice Windforce Flurry to get it makes it that much worse. Not to mention Quickening requires sacrificing Thunderclap which is also a downgrade.
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 4/26/2012 10:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hmm. I understand what you're saying, but I sincerely hope that's not the case, because it wouldn't just be the slowest, it would be the slowest by a huge margin. It would end up being used more just for it's damage than an actual generator. If it does indeed counsider all of the second attack as a single "strike" then wouldn't Hands of Lightning hamper spirit gains even further?
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/26/2012 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The benefits of WotHF's second attack are found with on hit triggers. Take gems for instance. The one that leeches life is on hit which means if you gem for it, you'll leech A TON using the skill :p

I'm not 100% sure on the functionality being this way, but based on what other people have posted over the last 6 months I'm led to believe this is the case.
Reply Quote
Heh, that's actually a good point. I was trying to argue the merits of the Several-Sided Strike rune based off of a similar logic. Still, there had better be some insanely awesome effects to use this over WF I would think.
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/26/2012 10:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
They are. Blizzard also already stated that Inferno would be "soloable". Although I can't remember if they said "by all classes equally" or not. I'm not worried at all about the Monk's ability to solo Inferno. I was just trying to throw up a build that's not entirely "buff bot/support" based that should add more than just personal damage to a group. Generally, group based buffs are going to add more than what you could have done on your own anyway though.
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/26/2012 10:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes they've told us that all classes should be viable to solo Inferno. There have been a few tells though lately. They added passive damage reduction buffs to both melee classes AND they specifically said the patch 13 (or was it 12?) changes to Barbarian were because of how much it was struggling in Inferno.

In my opinion, I would say DH and WD would have the best chance at soloing successfully as they have the best snaring capabilities and are both ranged. The Monk has the most utility of all classes though, but also suffers from having to fight in melee range.
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 4/26/2012 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
What's the fun in playing a low risk class though? They are usually the most boring.
Reply Quote
Yeah it doesn't matter on SC, on HC though thats a whole 'nother story. You still have to execute the ranged classes well to make them low risk too ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]