Diablo® III

Monk in Inferno

I'm personally second guessing making a monk first because I don't want to be forced into the support role or else risk being kicked from a group. This isn't WoW but I'm assuming that's the way some people will treat it. They will demand monks to use more supportive abilities than what some of us may want.

Each and every class is built to do the damage and have the survivability to solo Inferno. The classes are all balanced out to do the same amount of damage and survive the same amount (just in different ways). I see no reason that monks should be a support close any more than any other class.
Edited by Maverick#1242 on 4/26/2012 1:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Honestly I disagree with people saying that Monk should have a support role in order to be successful in inferno. Everyone has to be DPS. Why? Because mob hp increases as you have more people in the game.

The DPS output you sacrifice in making your monk more support-oriented needs to be made up by someone else sacrificing their survivability to increase their DPS. So in effect, they'll be partially dependent on you to survive, while you depend on them to kill.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that everyone is responsible for their own life, and that includes killing mobs. If I were to choose between a monk who can kill but not offer that much support vs. a monk who provides team support but takes twice the time to kill, then I'd choose the former.
Reply Quote
There's no group kick in this game. And I doubt half of the people who will be playing the game even know what a Monk can do, support or no support.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Although they didn't have a kick feature in the beta I would hope its added in the retail version. I think once you get into hell and mainly inferno, the only way your going to succeed is if everyone is doing they're part. If one player requests a person to be kicked then it should ask the other 2 players if they agree and if all 3 vote to kick the person then it would do so.
Reply Quote
every class should be able to solo inferno if specced properly. a glass cannon wizard is not going to make it far at all in higher difficulties. how would it be fair, or fun for that matter, for a monk to have to spec pure buff/heals to carry a glass cannon through inferno? the glass cannon would still probably get 1 or 2 shot by a random spell or arrow. if everyone in the group was specced and geared for some survivability, some utility, some dps... then everyone would have an equal role. it's not wow where a healer is necessary for every group.
Reply Quote
Honestly I disagree with people saying that Monk should have a support role in order to be successful in inferno. Everyone has to be DPS. Why? Because mob hp increases as you have more people in the game.

The DPS output you sacrifice in making your monk more support-oriented needs to be made up by someone else sacrificing their survivability to increase their DPS. So in effect, they'll be partially dependent on you to survive, while you depend on them to kill.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that everyone is responsible for their own life, and that includes killing mobs. If I were to choose between a monk who can kill but not offer that much support vs. a monk who provides team support but takes twice the time to kill, then I'd choose the former.

Obviously it all depends on the players. I personally think that a very heavy support/tank monk will be very powerful when paired correctly. I plan to play with a glass cannon AOE Wizard, and I think the synergy of spells we have set up is going to be extremely powerful. If I allow him to hit his AOE on 2 or 3 times as many mobs, then his effective DPS is increased significantly over what myself with a DPS build might have been able to offer.
Reply Quote
If everyone balances their build then no one is great.

Its not a bad idea to have someone be heavier on support whiel the others are heavier on attack.

Yes, this game is not WoW but it doesn't mean you can't succeed if you decide to play with the holy trinity.

Tank/Survival
Support/Damage buffer/CC
DPS
DPS

As for the vote kick. I hope they have it but i also fear people griefing with it. Thankfully i will be playing with my family and co-workers. Also people who i have met here on these forums.

This should prevent me from having to worry about griefing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]