Diablo® III

Passive AE build

Role would basically start with Mantra of Conviction (12% damage bonus) + Breath of Heaven (15% damage bonus).

After buffs are up, use Dashing Strike to rush to a monster. Then use Cyclone Strike to pull all monsters in 34 yards to you chained into a Sweeping Wind activation and spamming Fists of Thunder.

The Mantra of Conviction 12% Holy damage and Sweeping Wind 20%-60% damage would passively damage monsters once the Fists of Thunder spam starts.

The three passive skills are for end game defenses - resistance debuffs in Hell / Inferno, increased armor - assuming Monks have ~1K dex at endgame, and a emergency life.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#adXifk!UXT!YZbZZc

If the monk has high critical rate, the Fists of Thunder spam will keep generating spirit to continue using the skills as needed.
Reply Quote
Role would basically start with Mantra of Conviction (12% damage bonus) + Breath of Heaven (15% damage bonus).

After buffs are up, use Dashing Strike to rush to a monster. Then use Cyclone Strike to pull all monsters in 34 yards to you chained into a Sweeping Wind activation and spamming Fists of Thunder.

The Mantra of Conviction 12% Holy damage and Sweeping Wind 20%-60% damage would passively damage monsters once the Fists of Thunder spam starts.

The three passive skills are for end game defenses - resistance debuffs in Hell / Inferno, increased armor - assuming Monks have ~1K dex at endgame, and a emergency life.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#adXifk!UXT!YZbZZc

If the monk has high critical rate, the Fists of Thunder spam will keep generating spirit to continue using the skills as needed.

I like the idea, here is my take on it. Rather different so that is neat!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WfidgS!YXe!bcbbaY

This build is the only thing I could think of that could possibly use MoR!
Focus on APS and enough crit so that CW makes you lots of spirit for spamming spirit dumps and getting heals.
Basically DS into mobs with SW on, Cyclone, spam CW, generate lots of spirit, spam Cyclone and MoR for extra dps, mob grouping and heals with transcendence.
Serenity for oops I dashed into WAY too many mobs.
Pacifism for dashing into CC.

Would have to test MoR with Against All Odds to know if it generates good spirit or if another MoR rune would be better (looking at you indignation or collateral damage).
Reply Quote
Also, looking at your build, I am not sure how you plan on healing while aoeing things to death :) Probably need to look into at least one other healing method!
Reply Quote
Wow, just now I realized that sweeping wind is a passive AE. I thought it was a whirlwind type-effect. Now I feel like awfully silly about some of my builds! :P Thanks, OP!
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
04/25/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Spacely
Also, looking at your build, I am not sure how you plan on healing while aoeing things to death :) Probably need to look into at least one other healing method!

I have to agree with this. Especially since it sounds like you are wanting to use Breath of Heaven preemptively for the buff. In Inferno, I picture this scenario going something like this:

"start with Mantra of Conviction (12% damage bonus) + Breath of Heaven (15% damage bonus).

After buffs are up, use Dashing Strike to rush to a monster. Then use Cyclone Strike to pull all monsters in 34 yards to you chained into a Sweeping Wind activation and spamming Fists of Thunder." [all mobs within 34 yards are now right next to you, beating on you and breath of heaven is in cooldown. *dies*]
Reply Quote
The concern for an additional heal I think might be invalid. You should have life leech / high dodge (high dex) / potions to compensate. Even the passive 1:1 dex - armor ratio and high resistances will help.

Actual testing will help further develop this build.
Reply Quote
No CC and 1 heal on CD.

This would be the opposite of what the blizzard devs have suggested when it comes to playing Inferno.

I like the idea of a large AOE build for monk. CS+Blind+SW+LTK with full 360 striking power.

But as you can see if we have 4 skills already picked out and the other 2 are a gen and a mantra. We would have to sac one of the damage skills for a heal. Or make CS be able to heal. Or have transcendence heal you for solo play because you will be using so many spenders.

All in all any Inferno build without at least 1CC and 1Heal (Could be Trans) will seem sketchy and we'll just have to see how well it will work.

From what i hear it wont be that great. High repair cost is in the near future for those who dont bring at least 1 CC along for the ride.
Reply Quote
Here is an updated Passive AE build...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WTXifk!ZXU!ZcaZZc

The start would be with Mantra of Conviction with 12% damage increase and 12% Holy weapon damage.

After that, run into a group of mobs and cast Cyclone Strike for a 34 yard pull of monsters into 100% Holy weapon damage.

Next up is 7 Sided Strike to cause 111% Holy weapon damage x 7 hits as AE. If they are still alive, cast Sweeping Wind for 20% weapon damage and spam Crippling Wave for the damage debuff.

Lastly, if you are running low on health, cast Breath of Heaven and give the enemies still alive 80% Holy weapon damage to finish them off.

The major changes here are removing Dashing Strike as an initiator for 7 Sided Strike, changing the rune for Breath of Heaven from Blazing Wrath to Circle of Scorn, and adding in the Resolve skill instead of Near Death Experience.

The reasons for this are to increase survivability in large groups. According to theorycrafters, 7 sided strike makes you immune to damage for the 2-3 seconds it executes - similar to Serenity. The tradeoff is that it only executes every 30 seconds instead of 20 seconds for Serenity.

In additional, by trading Blazing Wrath for Circle of Scorn, the monk would no longer need to cast Breath of Heaven at the start of the fight and can save it for emergencies.

Finally, if the passive Resolve skill works with Mantra of Conviction's 12% Holy weapon damage, the entire time the mobs will have 25% less damage. Since Crippling wave has Concussion for an additional 20% damage debuff, the mobs will be doing 45% less damage.

The rest of the skills stayed the same so you would still have the 32-82% weapon damage passives when Mantra of Conviction and Sweeping Wind are on.

Edit: One other change I forgot to mention is that Fists of Thunder was replaced with Crippling Wave, primarily for the rune Concussion that reduces enemy damage by 20%. The survivability benefit of this should be great.
Edited by Silverhawk#1657 on 4/26/2012 4:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Finally, if the passive Resolve skill works with Mantra of Conviction's 12% Holy weapon damage, the entire time the mobs will have 25% less damage.

I'm glad you posted this. I was going to flip out if I made it the bottom and no one had mentioned this synergy. It's so amazing.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aWXVik!ZgY!aZbZZZ

My conservative endgame build. Note: the build is nearly finished around level 33. Combination strike and Conviction aren't, but by level 35 you've got the first rune of Conviction that is probably good enough.

Defensive:
46% damage reduction, 20% lowered attack speed for melee enemies
4 heal-viable spells, only one cooldown between them.

Offensive:
49% damage increase (maths: 1.15*1.16*1.12)(synergizes with Blade Storm)
Passive AOE Blade Storm (synergizes with Resolve)
Mobility, Fast Attack Speed, and AOE from Thunderclap (synergizes with Resolve)
Exploding Palm for lategame damage (rune synergizes with Transcendance :: 0 CD for Palm)

Wielding a two-handed weapon for highest AOE damage. cheers
Edited by Vantastic#1423 on 5/13/2012 1:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]