Diablo® III

Regarding laptops (switch-able graphics)

85 Human Warrior
I know it's a bit late for me to post this since the beta is closed but I need some clarifications...

I've just recently bought myself a laptop (HP Pavilion dv6-6c20TX) with display card Radeon HD 6790M XT, Intel i7 Core 2.2GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM. I was only able to test it on my lappy 1 hour prior to open beta being closed. However, during that testing period, I had severe fps issues (at times, running at 5fps during monster fights while having all graphical details turned off or low).

After browsing through the HP forums (after the beta was closed =[), I realised that there is something called "Dynamic Mode" and "Fixed Mode" for graphics card to save battery. And so apparently there is a program called CCC (Catalyst Control Center) that allows you to change the performance behaviours of certain applications/games.

Now this question kicks in since I wasn't able to change the settings during the open beta: Is Diablo III beta's automatically set to high performance by CCC (ie, using the Radeon graphics)? Or is it under "power saving" mode (ie, using on-board graphics)? Because with my current laptop's spec, I shouldn't be running at like, 5-10fps during gameplay.

Thank you for your response~ Need to know whether my laptop can support Diablo III when it launches so I can LAN with my friends :)
Edited by Inori#1147 on 4/23/2012 9:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My mate had a similar issue with an Asus netbook with a nVidia card. He got awful FPS because his laptop was trying to use the on-board graphics instead of his card. We couldn't get the client to switch modes, either.

I'm going to presume that this is either a bug in the beta client, or that the beta client simply wasn't intended to support these hardware configurations (although this would seem to defeat one purpose of a beta test - to test as many different hardware configurations as possible).

The good news is that the final release of Blizzard products are well polished. I would very much doubt that it will get shipped and not support these kinds of laptops.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I sincerely hope that's the case. Hopefully the client will be able to switch to my Radeon graphics. Otherwise, this is going to be very disappointing.. :(
Reply Quote
I run a lesser setup on a laptop and was having no trouble at all with fps, the only problem was with lag... sitting at a constant 180 ping on fiber optics.... sounds like the dedicated vs on board graph card may be the prob, try disabling the partitioned graphics all together maybe ?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Unfortunately I can't try it now since I do not have beta access. However, if the problem still persists during Diablo III official launch, I will change the settings in bios to fixed mode so it'll use my dedicated graphics card. If it still doesn't work, I'm gonna trash my laptop >:(
Reply Quote
: (
Reply Quote
Switchable graphics doesnt always set a game to require 'performace' graphics i.e. dedicated GPU.

What you need to do is start up the game / app - then close it.
Go to CCC (make sure your in advanced mode), go to switchable graphics and you should see D3 under 'recent applications'. Click the tab on the right hand side until it says 'high performance'.

You can also find switchable graphics by right-clicking on the desktop -> 'Configure Switchable Graphics'
Reply Quote
I have the beta and i was having similiar problems and after following spooke's advice my fps went straight up and i am having no problems playing the game now, even on high settings. This was a very useful thread and good advice.

Cheers
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I will try your advice, Spooke, during official launch. Many thanks for the information!
Reply Quote
Happy to help!

I meant to mention - you should only need to do this once and it will remember it.

From memory you can also create profiles based off whether its plugged-in or on batteries so that you could make it always use the dedicated GPU while plugged in and make it always use the onboard GPU (which is less power hungry) when on batteries.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]