Diablo® III

Deadly Reach. Who else is planning on using

this spirit generator?

I !@#$ing love this skill. I'm sure there are other generators or combos that will out damage this skill, but the utility of this skill is too great for me to ignore. To clarify: Being able to attack at range, thus avoiding taking hits.

Example: Watched a dude rush to SK and was under geared for the fight. He got owned while using FoT. He switches to DR, and SK dropped with ease.

As an added bonus, it also makes it more difficult for ranged enemies to try and gain distance on you. There have been a few games where I'd dash in on a skeletal summoner, and it would die before it got out of range of DR.

%^-*. I love this skill.
Reply Quote
My wife loves this skill. So she may use it.

I am a FoT, CW, WotHF guys myself.
Reply Quote
I knew I was going to use WotHF the day I saw it. Now it's just a matter between Windforce Flurry or Blazing Fists. Now, will that change once I hit 60 and have every skill/rune effect at my fingertips? Possibly. Fighting at Range will have it's advantages but in NM/Hell/Inf mobs may have increased range anyway, so it may be better to have higher damage to burn down mobs.

I've always been a "Offense is the best defense" kind of player. Of course I'll adapt as necessary.
Reply Quote
Deadly reach while under the protection of inner sanctuary = fun.
Of cause we will have to take care of any range mob first.
Reply Quote
Deadly reach while under the protection of inner sanctuary = fun.
Of cause we will have to take care of any range mob first.

This and CW.

Being able to hit large groups from the comfort of Inner Sanc will be both key in Inferno and helpful for CC for our allies.
Reply Quote

I've always been a "Offense is the best defense" kind of player. Of course I'll adapt as necessary.

Certainly, but that is why I love DR! It is an offensive ability that boosts survivability through its execution. I'd compare it to the D2 Barb's WW. If you've played one, you know how it is possible to WW at a zig zag away from enemies, allowing you to hit them, but they never hit back. It's possible to take out entire Blood Lord packs without getting hit once.

I see DR as filling a similar role. I may or may not be doing as much damage, but if I'm rarely being hit, I can spam that !@#$er all day.

BTW I plan on playing HC.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Using this during trash fights, but possibly something else for bosses. Depends on what's best for each situation.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
04/25/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Shygar
Using this during trash fights, but possibly something else for bosses. Depends on what's best for each situation.

At level 60 you will definitely want to pick one and stick to it to keep your valor buff up.
Reply Quote
I love the animation for this!

Definitely going to be the one I use on my monk.
Reply Quote
I expect this ability to be really good in conjunction with Cyclone Strike. I think many people expect CS to be a dangerous ability that closes you in entirely surrounded by monsters in a 360 degrees, but this isn't true. Unless you essentially are already closed in. If you run up to a group of monsters and they are near you but only on one side of you (a scenario which always occurs when you begin combat), CS will pull them into a tight formation right in front and all cone-like abilities will work wonders.
Reply Quote
04/25/2012 04:54 PMPosted by Snoo
I think many people expect CS to be a dangerous ability that closes you in entirely surrounded by monsters in a 360 degrees, but this isn't true.

So when we do get surrounded, does dashing strike suck as much as I think it does, or was I using it wrong in open Beta? It seemed I could dash all the way across the screen when I selected a target, yet when I clicked on an open space, I only moved like 4 yards in that direction. If that's the case, then DS would be great for going into a bunch of enemies, but is pretty useless for evading them.
Reply Quote
So when we do get surrounded, does dashing strike suck as much as I think it does, or was I using it wrong in open Beta? It seemed I could dash all the way across the screen when I selected a target, yet when I clicked on an open space, I only moved like 4 yards in that direction. If that's the case, then DS would be great for going into a bunch of enemies, but is pretty useless for evading them.

Dashing Strike really moves about 8-10 yards I think when using it in open ground, but yeah it can move 40+ yards if you can target something. I was talking about Cyclone Strike. So I'm not really sure why you're bringing Dashing Strike up.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I did kind of change the subject. Your mentioning being surrounded just reminded me to ask about dashing strike and its apparent uselesness.
Reply Quote
04/25/2012 05:11 PMPosted by Tiberius
Yeah, I did kind of change the subject. Your mentioning being surrounded just reminded me to ask about dashing strike and its apparent uselesness.

I've got a build using Dashing Strike as an escapist strategy. This build is kind of geared toward playing with another Monk or Barb who is especially defensively geared, and one or two more damage-oriented ranged classes. I'd Cyclone Strike, then Dash to the outside or at least the most outside monster (just to get out of the killzone).
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
04/25/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Jolts

At level 60 you will definitely want to pick one and stick to it to keep your valor buff up.

What exactly is the valor buff? I heard about it but not much ><

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4241234476
Reply Quote
04/25/2012 07:42 PMPosted by Dotdotrun
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4241234476

This is bloody excellent. I had no idea about this buff. I did hear wind that Blizzard was trying to come up with a way to make people not repeatedly remake games just to kill one boss or a very small sequence of monsters (like eldritch/pindleskin).
Reply Quote
04/25/2012 04:54 PMPosted by Snoo
I expect this ability to be really good in conjunction with Cyclone Strike. I think many people expect CS to be a dangerous ability that closes you in entirely surrounded by monsters in a 360 degrees, but this isn't true. Unless you essentially are already closed in. If you run up to a group of monsters and they are near you but only on one side of you (a scenario which always occurs when you begin combat), CS will pull them into a tight formation right in front and all cone-like abilities will work wonders.

Actually, CS will probably be commonly paired up with LTK. Reminds me of one of the Darkspore heroes. One had the ability to pull in enemies, and then use another AoE to knock them all back again. It is excellent crowd control while simultaneously doing AoE damage. The spirit dump for that combo will be fairly high, but that is a minimum of 300% weapon damage before the enemies even have a chance to begin attacking.

Will be a great co-op combo to "reset" fights to help out allies. If someone is getting smacked around too much, Cyclone Strike with Soothing Breeze to pull enemies away and heal, then LTK to knock them all back.
Reply Quote
Actually, CS will probably be commonly paired up with LTK. Reminds me of one of the Darkspore heroes. One had the ability to pull in enemies, and then use another AoE to knock them all back again. It is excellent crowd control while simultaneously doing AoE damage. The spirit dump for that combo will be fairly high, but that is a minimum of 300% weapon damage before the enemies even have a chance to begin attacking.

Will be a great co-op combo to "reset" fights to help out allies. If someone is getting smacked around too much, Cyclone Strike with Soothing Breeze to pull enemies away and heal, then LTK to knock them all back.

Oh believe me I have Cyclone Strike -> LtK(Vulture Claw Kick) combination setup in many of my builds, such as http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aWSVfZ!ZbY!abYZYa

I've been recently trying to spread the idea that come Inferno, we won't necessarily have to hall !@# and run away all the time. If we are capable of pulling ranged monsters in, and kicking melee monsters out, then that really puts a dent in the capability of enemies as a whole.
Reply Quote
When I saw what the first rune did in the beta, I was amazed. I also have a tank monk build to go with it:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bYjigh!XZT!ZacbZa
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]