Diablo® III

Melee Wizard... Will you use melee attack?

I've seen a lot of talk about melee wizard (We've all atleast TRIED to build mele Sorc of course :p).

My question is, do you plan on using plain old melee attack with your build?

I've seen a few builds posted recently that put diamond skin as their secondary ability.. This makes sense to me if you want to use right click as melee attack; When diamond skin is up, you use it and then go right back to melee attack.

I also see builds with arcane spenders (Have to make use of AP obviously). Can someone help me wrap my head around this? Thanks.
Reply Quote
There is 0 reason to use basic attack.
If you want a good melee range ability, pick up Spectral Blades.
Otherwise, melee-range cast those demonic hordes right in their dimwitted, ugly faces.
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 09:22 AMPosted by AlexValcarde
Otherwise, melee-range cast those demonic hordes right in their dimwitted, ugly faces.

Awesome! :D
Reply Quote
Melee Wizard isn't about using melee attacks, it's more about being up in the thick of combat instead of nuking from afar.
Reply Quote
92 Human Paladin
There is 0 reason to use basic attack.
If you want a good melee range ability, pick up Spectral Blades.

This. Spectral Blades is in *every way* superior to basic attack.
Reply Quote
Plain old melee no. My primary skill will be spectral blade + frost hydras. I'm a bit concerned by the possibility of dual immun (cold/physical) monsters though. But somewhere the devs said something that they may not make duals. (I'm not sure though.)

Also tanking skills are very much needed for our squishy wiz to survive later on.

04/26/2012 12:28 PMPosted by Siekobilly
Melee Wizard isn't about using melee attacks, it's more about being up in the thick of combat instead of nuking from afar.

Exactly as Siekobilly says.

I had the same thing in my mind when I came up with this build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WRdXgO!afT!ZYaYZc

I also note that it's a low AP-use build, basically Hydra will be the only one I use constantly. This way I can look for items that's more beneficial in close combat, because I wont need more max AP and AP regen mods. I hope to gain back some of the damage from extra melee mods on items this way, because I will go 1-handed + shield, and will be on disadvantage to 2-handed or Orb builds damage wise.
Edited by TheFool#1721 on 4/26/2012 1:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Spectral blades does take a skill slot, unlike basic attack, which can be accessed by attempting to cast a targeted spell without having the arcane power required for it (I'm not sure if you will attack if you try to cast diamond skin when it's on CD). So if you can find a build where all your skills provide something more valuable than an extra 35% weapon damage + small AOE + spectral blade rune effect on every attack...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#kYXOgh!eag!bYcZZa

Crit based build that uses the critical mass passive to quickly reduce the cooldown of explosive blast and its many defensive abilities while sitting under a meteor volley that rapidly builds up Conflagration stacks. Bonus: You get to see your basic attack animation!

Edit: Fixing typos
Edited by Mathix#1432 on 4/26/2012 1:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I myself don't like meteor because it's too costly to use often enough. But hell... everyone likes it different. I'm more like slowing/stuning/kiting down enemies.

Spectral blade hits all enemies in it's area 3 times which is 105%. It's usually 2-3 monsters, depends on their size. And I've gone for a knockback rune to have some extra crowd control, amped up with chill from hydras, Wave of force knockback snare, and slow time.

Explosive blast is not that bad. You might convinced me to switch that with Wave of force. But as I said I'll wont go for item mods with AP on them so I don't know yet, need to play the full game first.
Reply Quote
Spectral blades does take a skill slot, unlike basic attack, which can be accessed by attempting to cast a targeted spell without having the arcane power required for it (I'm not sure if you will attack if you try to cast diamond skin when it's on CD). So if you can find a build where all your skills provide something more valuable than an extra 35% weapon damage + small AOE + spectral blade rune effect on every attack...

If I had to choose between giving up a skill slot for a basic spammable attack (that, with Spectral Blades, is AoE, + whatever rune you add on) and listening to my character repeat 'Not enough arcane power. Not enough time has passed. Not enough arcane power. Not enough time has passed.' over and over?

Yeah, gimme the skill slot option. ¬_¬
Reply Quote
92 Human Paladin
04/26/2012 01:02 PMPosted by TheFool
Plain old melee no. My primary skill will be spectral blade + frost hydras. I'm a bit concerned by the possibility of dual immun (cold/physical) monsters though. But somewhere the devs said something that they may not make duals. (I'm not sure though.)

Are you aware yet that Spectral Blades uses whatever element is on your weapon? For example, if you have a +Holy damage weapon, the damage from Spectral Blades will become Holy, not Physical. For those situations, you can just have a spare elemental weapon in your inventory as a backup.

EDIT: You can test this for yourself in beta right now. I have and it definitely works. I tried it with both Cold and Fire weapons.
Edited by Dekkar#1990 on 4/26/2012 1:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
+holy/fire/cold/etc. damage wont convert your full attack into that element. You only see the effect of that +1-2 damage, the remaining is still physical. That's how it functioned in D2 and I'm very certain it's the same here.

Also I don't have beta and the open weekend is far over. I have pre-order that's because I have the D3 pic.

Edit: if you meant it the same way I did, than sorry. These mods were never really useful in D2, they might change it this time.
Edited by TheFool#1721 on 4/26/2012 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WchXOS!aYf!aZcbZc

Pretty offensive melee build. No idea if it would have enough survivability at later levels of course, still arcane orbit + chain reaction just sounds fun =p
Reply Quote

If I had to choose between giving up a skill slot for a basic spammable attack (that, with Spectral Blades, is AoE, + whatever rune you add on) and listening to my character repeat 'Not enough arcane power. Not enough time has passed. Not enough arcane power. Not enough time has passed.' over and over?

Yeah, gimme the skill slot option. ¬_¬

I'm hoping there's an option to disable the oom and spell on CD character feedback.
Reply Quote
92 Human Paladin
+holy/fire/cold/etc. damage wont convert your full attack into that element. You only see the effect of that +1-2 damage, the remaining is still physical. That's how it functioned in D2 and I'm very certain it's the same here.

Also I don't have beta and the open weekend is far over. I have pre-order that's because I have the D3 pic.

Edit: if you meant it the same way I did, than sorry. These mods were never really useful in D2, they might change it this time.

No. You're incorrect. It doesn't work like D2. Like I said, I've actually tested it in the beta, multiple times. I tested it again today to make sure.

In the case of the spell Spectral Blades, it converts the physical into whatever damage type you have on your weapon. Every time. Every hit.

In the case of a spell like Arcane Orb, the damage is ALWAYS Arcane, no matter what element is on your weapon.
Reply Quote
I'm interested in how you tested it. I don't remember it showing anywhere. There are no immuns where you can test that whether the whole damage or just the part which is immun to it is ignored.

In arcane orbs case it is obviuos that it converts the whole damage cause it's says 'damage as arcane'. On spectral blade it only says it uses the damage, there is no 'damage as element' in the description. And as I said the effects will show the same even if it's only +1 Holy on the blade or the whole is converted.

Hurl an orb of pure energy that explodes when it hits, dealing 175% weapon damage as Arcane to all enemies within 10 yards.

Summon a spectral blade that strikes all enemies in your path for 135% weapon damage.

I might be wrong but I really need to know how you tested it to see that.
Reply Quote
Spectral Blades does do some of the elemental damage of your weapon; this is easily tested by equipping a holy damage weapon and whacking at the enemy. You will get the 'explode into holy energy' graphic that only happens when things die to a holy-element attack.
Reply Quote
04/27/2012 07:57 AMPosted by AlexValcarde
Spectral Blades does do some of the elemental damage of your weapon; this is easily tested by equipping a holy damage weapon and whacking at the enemy. You will get the 'explode into holy energy' graphic that only happens when things die to a holy-element attack.

That's what I am saying. That still does not mean the whole damage is converted.

You only see the effect of that +1-2 damage, the remaining is still physical.

And as I said the effects will show the same even if it's only +1 Holy ...

That is so not understandable? Geezz my English is bad... :( Sad Panda in the Mist. :(
Edited by TheFool#1721 on 4/27/2012 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Not so sure that spectral blades still does the 3 hits - that isn't in the tooltip anymore.

Spectral blades strength seems to be that it allows you to use mods on weapons with a wizard attack. We have only seen the tiniest amount of variation on the gear in the beta, we just don't know how things will scale/interact at higher lvl's.

Spectral blade is also the only spammable wizard ability that does physical damage - potentially over a considerable area and 1 of anly 2 spells that allow the wizard to heal themselves - if life drain or leech tanking is an option it will almost certainly be with this skill.

I'll be looking for gear mods that work well with this while I lvl.
Reply Quote

That is so not understandable? Geezz my English is bad... :( Sad Panda in the Mist. :(

Nope, re-reading your post, it appears I missed it in my skimming. My fault.

Not so sure that spectral blades still does the 3 hits - that isn't in the tooltip anymore.

It does. Using it in beta, it's hitting 3 times per use.
Reply Quote
98 Gnome Rogue
BTW, the devs said there will be no immunes in D3, only high resistances on some mobs to certain elements.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]