Diablo® III

Bandwidth Usage

My new job will allow me to use my laptop while working. However, the place might not have Wi-Fi.

So I got the idea of getting one of those USB modems that you can connect to your laptop and have internet anywhere. The problem, however, is that they allow from 3 to 5 gb max bandwidth.

Diablo 3 is mostly server side as opposed to client side, and this got me worried on whether 3gb or 5gb will be enough per month?

Does anyone know how much bandwidth Diablo is currently eating in the beta stage?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
Yeah man, Diablo will most likely put you over that limit. How much do you plan on playing though?
Reply Quote
<<<<<< still lucky enough to be grandfathered into vzw unlimited data plan on my phone.
Reply Quote
I work as a security guard in a night shift position. I intend on using that USB mainly for Diablo 3.

With that said, probably twenty to thirty hours a week.
Reply Quote
I work as a security guard in a night shift position. I intend on using that USB mainly for Diablo 3.

Security guard playing D3 huh? Where at? /cackle
Reply Quote

Security guard playing D3 huh? Where at? /cackle

Hey, I ain't complaining. Getting paid to play my most anticipated game? Sign me up.
Reply Quote
Bump?
Reply Quote
Have one at the location I work.

Have you thought about using "Clear Wireless"? I think they do not have a bandwidth limit, and it is also NO CONTRACT. I am not sure where you are located at, but look them up.

Their streaming speed is mediocre, but thats true for all of them. (Slight lag, but still playable, atleast WoW was).

THIS.
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 10:23 AMPosted by dassix
Yeah man, Diablo will most likely put you over that limit. How much do you plan on playing though?

Since the only way you can know this is if you are logging your bandwidth usage for D3 you should have no problem telling us what the typical bandwidth used after 1-hour of playing the game is.

I'll just wait over here.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
WoW uses (not from first hand reports, but from posts on Battle.net) anywhere from 5MB (solo) to 100mb (25-player raid) per hour. You can expect similar data usage I reckon - anywhere from 10-25mb/hr.

That means if you're playing, say, 20 hrs a week on your card (and 10 hours ACTUALLY WORKING, right?) you can estimate make a top-end estimate of about 2gb/month (but likely much lower). Sounds like that's well within your available caps, just keep an eye on usage if you do any media streaming/dl/ul.
Edited by Tilgare on 4/26/2012 12:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 12:22 PMPosted by Tilgare
(and 10 hours ACTUALLY WORKING, right?)

That's why I wanted to know where he was a security guard lol.

"C'mon guys, I see Zam is logged into D3, so we have a 4 hour window to get the goods"
Reply Quote
Playing D3 ask constant flow of data which these USB aren't perfect for that. Even if your bandwich is respected, you will most likely lags due to the low bit rates / instability of your connection.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
04/26/2012 12:34 PMPosted by Daikon
Playing D3 ask constant flow of data which these USB aren't perfect for that. Even if your bandwich is respected, you will most likely lags due to the low bit rates / instability of your connection.

In D3, Blizzard has used a new technology that allows the client to do encrypted calculations but it gets sent to the servers for verification, where it says, "yep, good job" or "NO HAXORZ". This allows for even high latency connections to play D3 relatively lag free. The data transfer speeds on the mobile network and the USB connection itself should be more than sufficient.

Edit: Source!
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Latency-Diablo-3-Action-RPG-PayPal-Auction-House,news-12526.html

According to the testers, Blizzard has developed a secure and tamper-proof method of client/server communication that allows the local client to handle its own calculations and send the data to the server for verification. Latency is eliminated because the client does not wait for the server to respond, but instead moves on as business as usual. However, the server inspects the data for tampering, and if it detects foul play, it will disconnect the player from the network.
Edited by Tilgare on 4/26/2012 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi guys, sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question on the subject of the portable wireless cards you are talking about. I may be taking a position that will require me to relocate to a random, tiny island in the pacific ocean (about 500 miles from Hawaii). There is no high speed internet there or cell phone towers, so I'm wondering if a portable verizon wireless card or something like that would still work? Do you need to have 3G coverage for it to work way out in the ocean? Or are there any companies that would work out there?

Thank you for your help!!!
Reply Quote
The majority of online games use very little bandwidth to actually play.

Most bandwidth is downloading of content. Patches, and streaming audio/video are where you use huge chunks of it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]