Diablo® III

Monk Mechanics

I have some questions about game mechanics that I haven't seen the answers to in any easy to find location on here. I might just be missing them, but I'll ask anyway.

How does dual wield work? Since there is no "auto attack" is it just "you can use your primary attack each time one of your 2 weapons is up and it'll use the damage of that weapon" or "your damage and attack speed is your two weapons combined" or something else? Is there any sort of offhand penalty?

How do percentage buffs stack? If one skill gives 20% dodge and another 15% dodge, do I get 35% on top of what I already have, or something different? Or has none of this been worked out yet?

Apologies if all of this is common knowledge, but as I said I couldn't find the information and I don't know of any good knowledge base sites for D3.
Reply Quote
dual wield usually has higher att speed lower damage but you also have what ever bonuses the 2 weapons have added together. buffs will stack most of them have a time limit so depends what u are using the ones will longer time limit or no time limit are much easyer to stack.
Reply Quote
You get a 15% attack speed bonus, but alternate with the hits.
For instance I found a 19dps rare barb weapon.
So with that in the main hand and a 14 dps weapon in my offhand, I would attack and see 19,14,19,14.
So I thought to myself is the attack speed bonus worth the lower hits?
So i put on a shield that had +11 str, so now when I attacked it did 21,21,21,21.
15% slower but more consistent.
I think itll depend on what you have available. If you have 2 weapons with similar dps then dual wield will be the better choice.
Also big attacks are supposed to always use the primary.
So that would be the benefit of a 2hander having more damage.
Reply Quote
Ah, thank you.
Reply Quote
One of the biggest benefits of dual-wielding as a monk is you generate spirit much faster.
Reply Quote
I gather the general reasons why you want to dual wield - it's more the exact mechanics of how things work that I wanted to know.

From TheGlow's post, I assume then it works based on you attack with your mainhand, and once that cooldown is done, you can attack again, using your offhand this time, and the overall process is boosted by 15%. So both your weapons are already marginally faster than a 2h, but the 15% bonus is the big thing allowing for more attacks = more spirit gen.

I only got to play during open beta, but it didn't feel like attacks were all -that- much faster in general from just 1h/shield, so I'm guessing that the weapon speeds work as above, and that they don't combine the same way they did in WoW. Plus there'd be no need for a 15% IAS bonus if you were getting double speed from 2 weapon attacks.
Reply Quote
You get a 15% attack speed bonus, but alternate with the hits.
For instance I found a 19dps rare barb weapon.
So with that in the main hand and a 14 dps weapon in my offhand, I would attack and see 19,14,19,14.
So I thought to myself is the attack speed bonus worth the lower hits?
So i put on a shield that had +11 str, so now when I attacked it did 21,21,21,21.
15% slower but more consistent.
I think itll depend on what you have available. If you have 2 weapons with similar dps then dual wield will be the better choice.
Also big attacks are supposed to always use the primary.
So that would be the benefit of a 2hander having more damage.

There is no way it should work like this. Having a one handed weapon + shield (with albeit offensive stats) should not be anywhere close in dps as to dual-wielding weapons. From what I can understand of the mechanic in D3, when using spirit generators/spenders, they will alternate between main/off hand. So why choose to have a 2x 50 dmg one handers, using WotHF with windforce (love the name btw) only hitting with 125 attack dmg, when I can have a fatass 100 dmg two hander and hit for twice as hard with that aoe? The difference in damage outweighs the increase attack speed, at least in the way I understand the mechanic.
Reply Quote
From what I've managed to find it does work like that, which really makes me wonder why I'd bother dual wielding, aside from "using what you have handy." Our best legendary 2h is still a 1.1 APS, which while obviously slower, isn't exactly the one swing every 2-3 seconds you'd expect of a 2h weapon.

So if you're taking a DPS hit in dual wielding for more spirit regen, you're also doing less damage with that used spirit, aren't you? Am I missing something? :/

Interestingly, it does look like 1h/shield might be perfectly viable for Inferno for monks (take the same dps hit, but gain an absolute ton of armor and the ability to block.)
Reply Quote
When you dual wield, you alternate attacks EXCEPT if you use a cooldown spell, then it accounts for your main hand only. So keep your slower stronger weapon on the main hand
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
04/28/2012 02:41 AMPosted by Lilo
How do percentage buffs stack? If one skill gives 20% dodge and another 15% dodge, do I get 35% on top of what I already have, or something different? Or has none of this been worked out yet?

The formula is supposedly like this: Dodge% = 100 * (1 - (1 - 0.2) * (1 - 0.15)) = 32% (rather than 35%)

Because the formula is like this, the more bonuses you add, the less effect they have. For instance, if you had abilities that gave you 50% dodge, 40% dodge, 30% dodge, 20% dodge and 10% dodge all at the same time, instead of having 150% dodge you would have ~85%.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]