Diablo® III

"No, no plans for duels." outrage!

While we're talking about PvP it's probably worth reminding everyone that what we're targeting is a very loose and 'for fun' system. Imagine clicking a button, being matched up against another team of equal skill and gear, and win or lose you move forward (although faster if you win) on a personal progression system that gives you some cosmetic recognition as you go. There won't be ladders or leagues, we have no intent to expose team ratings, and very likely nothing besides a win/loss record to track performance etc. etc. etc. Anyone who has tried it at BlizzCon knows the PvP in Diablo III is a blast, but I've seen some people start to get ideas that it's going to be an eSport, and that's just not something we're targeting - for the sake of our goals in the single player/co-op experience.

It's one reason custom matches can make some people nervous, because it means players can start setting up their own games in attempts to create a more competitive system. Or just complaining their 1v1 duels aren't balanced. When that happens people start demanding the sacrifice of PvE, "I need more mobility/stuns/dps", separate systems with different abilities, and on and on. I think if there were one good argument against duels and custom games, it would be the players themselves. :)

This is still a cop out man. That is like saying street fighter should not have a ranking system of any sort because some characters are imbalanced over others.

I find it rather dissapointing that you guys are using such a poor excuse to not give pvp arenas depth. Scrimages and all are fun for awhile, but won't have lasting appeal for many. Everybody already knows that it won't be balance, just like we know most fighting games are not balanced but still love the competition.
hat was pvp ,with duels you get the 5... 4... 3... 2... 1 THATS WoW not Diablo...

Not if it's implemented in diablo. Then it would be wow and diablo. You know, like auction house?
While we're talking about PvP it's probably worth reminding everyone that what we're targeting is a very loose and 'for fun' system. Imagine clicking a button, being matched up against another team of equal skill and gear, and win or lose you move forward (although faster if you win) on a personal progression system that gives you some cosmetic recognition as you go. There won't be ladders or leagues, we have no intent to expose team ratings, and very likely nothing besides a win/loss record to track performance etc. etc. etc. Anyone who has tried it at BlizzCon knows the PvP in Diablo III is a blast, but I've seen some people start to get ideas that it's going to be an eSport, and that's just not something we're targeting - for the sake of our goals in the single player/co-op experience.

It's one reason custom matches can make some people nervous, because it means players can start setting up their own games in attempts to create a more competitive system. Or just complaining their 1v1 duels aren't balanced. When that happens people start demanding the sacrifice of PvE, "I need more mobility/stuns/dps", separate systems with different abilities, and on and on. I think if there were one good argument against duels and custom games, it would be the players themselves. :)

This is still a cop out man. That is like saying street fighter should not have a ranking system of any sort because some characters are imbalanced over others.

I find it rather dissapointing that you guys are using such a poor excuse to not give pvp arenas depth. Scrimages and all are fun for awhile, but won't have lasting appeal for many. Everybody already knows that it won't be balance, just like we know most fighting games are not balanced but still love the competition.

You ,sir, are comparing a pvp fighting game to a pve gear grinding game
My disagreement on Duel function in PvE game room:

Interferes other peoples progress farming/questing/lvling when some random 2 players just dueling like an @rse.

I rather have everything related to PvP functions all separated from PvE game room.
Meh I kinda agree with Blizzard. With the time and money it would take to bring Diablo 3 PvP to legit esport quality they could make the PvE experience so much greater.

It will hurt my enjoyment of the game if the PvP experience isn't fun though. I hope they do a good job.

Interferes other peoples progress farming/questing/lvling when some random 2 players just dueling like an @rse.

I rather have everything related to PvP functions all separated from PvE game room.

You need to realize that players will interfere your progress in the game regardless of pvp. Going back to town, crafting, selling items, tweaking builds, chatting with friends, going afk to answer the phone or go to the bathroom, just being slow, looking at items for wayy to long, asking you to trade, everything mentioned here is gonna interfere with your leveling way more than dueling. It's like a water-drop in the ocean. If being able to always progress without ever being bothered is really one of your preoccupations, I'm sorry but seriously, you should play alone.

If anything, blizz could easily make an option to auto-ignore duels. When someone would ask you to duel, it would prevent anything from popping in your screen and it would not interfere with your gameplay. Then the players could not fear of being harassed to death by people who want to duel them (even if this idea is simply ridiculous).
Edited by obliterator#1929 on 4/28/2012 8:55 PM PDT
04/28/2012 01:30 PMPosted by Bashiok
uhh I still don't get it. If you balance PvP and PvE separately, this issue of one's balance affecting the other would never occur.

Aside from some very basic user experience issues it would cause, and which we vehemently oppose, asking us to design, balance, and maintain two separate games just isn't reasonable.

<3! Thank you for recognizing this, and therefore not attempting to turn D3 PvP into an absolute cluster!@#$ like WoW PvP turned into with the introduction of Arenas.
04/28/2012 11:43 AMPosted by Kraujas
I would also like dueling to be implemented. But I'm concerned about how well melee class will do against ranged.

Barb could close the distance with 'leap' or grab them from afar with 'Ancients Spear'
and the advantages of passive damage resistance given to fighter classes could untip the scales of ranged attack
You can implement the same game controls as D2.. its called passwording your game. You can still get players at random for questing by setting up chat pubs where people would meet and then set out together after the password was whispered.

I dont see a problem with allowing dueling at all.
Its coming by the end of the year.

You can't do anything by complaining.

You have PVP to play in the meantime.

/endthread
You can't do anything by complaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjYRVbjq1eg&t=4m52s

You need to realize that players will interfere your progress in the game regardless of pvp. Going back to town, crafting, selling items, tweaking builds, chatting with friends, going afk to answer the phone or go to the bathroom, just being slow, looking at items for wayy to long, asking you to trade, everything mentioned here is gonna interfere with your leveling way more than dueling. It's like a water-drop in the ocean. If being able to always progress without ever being bothered is really one of your preoccupations, I'm sorry but seriously, you should play alone.

If anything, blizz could easily make an option to auto-ignore duels. When someone would ask you to duel, it would prevent anything from popping in your screen and it would not interfere with your gameplay. Then the players could not fear of being harassed to death by people who want to duel them (even if this idea is simply ridiculous).

The thing is, if there is a choice to reduce more interference. I rather go that path. Not just saying "there is bound to have people trying to interfere peoples game in different way, so we just add duel back in game."
04/28/2012 11:54 AMPosted by MeitGrigori
For anyone in this thread that say "carebears ruined D3" or any variations of the sort this is directed towards you. PvP was never a high element with Blizzard when it came to Diablo and they have even stated multiple times that the PvP system (aka Hostile) was abused and not used the way they intended for the masses to use.

Maybe it wasn't a high element to Blizzard, but for us, it was. The abuse of hostility can easily be fixed by either accepting or not accepting a duel. There is nothing wrong with players wanting that option in the game.
04/28/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Bashiok
It's one reason custom matches can make some people nervous

I am not sure if I missed it, but what are the plans for the hardcore community concerning PvP???

Will hardcore still take its toll while doing a PvP match like in Diablo 2? Thus making it less appealing for most hardcore character - at least with their main, who are most of the time geared to farm stuff- and quite interesting for softcore players (like in D2)?

Thanks to anyone with an answer.
Edited by Showtimez#1516 on 4/28/2012 9:28 PM PDT
I didnt read this entire thread, But I cannot think of a single reason why consentual dueling would not be allowed in this game. It's absolutely ridiculous.
04/28/2012 09:51 PMPosted by Baconstrip
I didnt read this entire thread, But I cannot think of a single reason why consentual dueling would not be allowed in this game. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Some people think that it would be too hard to click "cancel" when someone want to fight you.
Baconstrip

This is like saying, "I found this book titled 'the answer to life', but I'm too lazy to read it so I'm just going to assume that there is no answer."

Reasons were definitely explained throughout the thread. It obviously isn't that important if you're too lazy to actually find a couple reasons that are right in front of you... Or you'd just rather live in ignorance than be proven wrong... :\
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]