Diablo® III

Magic Weapon

90 Gnome Mage
So I'm curious about the design behind this ability. I get that this is the new imbue weapon, and it's definitely way more awesome with all the different modifiers from runes.

But is this really designed just to be used with normal attacks? I know the increased weapon damage will increase the damage of other abilities, but the on-hit effects are not added to your other spells, correct?

It seems a little lack-luster. Imbue weapon in D2 was cool because you could cast it on all your team mates, bringing up the DPS of the entire group. But this version just doesn't seem all that cool, since it only works on the wizard's weapon and it mainly only effects a normal attack.

Am I missing something? I mean, sure, melee wizard (which I do plan on making later down the line), but shouldn't it be a little more synergistic with the class as a whole, not just one specific build?
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Priest
but the on-hit effects are not added to your other spells, correct?

Do you have any reason to think this other than assuming Blizzard is clueless and would put a useless set of runes in?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
My assumption would be that the rune benefits will extend to all of your attacks. This is what the wording implies.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
04/26/2012 01:34 AMPosted by ßeta
My assumption would be that the rune benefits will extend to all of your attacks. This is what the wording implies.

Yeah. It's basically a 4th passive.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
04/25/2012 11:06 PMPosted by Saelafe
but the on-hit effects are not added to your other spells, correct?

Do you have any reason to think this other than assuming Blizzard is clueless and would put a useless set of runes in?

That's how imbued weapon worked in D2 for one. Also, in playing Blizzard games for the past 15 years or so, there has always been a distinction between attacks and spells (where "attack" and "on hit" always referred to physical attacks).

But you know, hey don't stop being an !@# on my account. It's not like I was asking IF I was correct, or anything...
Reply Quote
View profile
04/26/2012 08:46 AMPosted by ItsAZergling
I would assume that your abilities are only affected by the damage increase, not the other effects. Choosing the Force Weapon wouldn't add knockback to all of your spells...that would be redonkulous.

I would assume the exact opposite.
Seeing as how your weapons are tied into every single attack/spell you use, I'd think it's quite possible the on-hit effects will work with a wizard's spells. Otherwise, it would be pointless to have a skill that only works when you use Basic Attack.
Reply Quote
Magic weapon seems really poorly designed. A flat 10% damage bonus (expandable to 15% damage, or 10% plus lifesteal, or something) seems like it should be an item property or a passive skill, except that it's almost too boring to even be a passive skill - at least "Glass Cannon" has a risky secondary effect on top of its damage bonus. As is, Magic Weapon feels like a skill tax; it means that wizards looking to maximize their damage effectively lose an active skill slot (on top of the one they spend on Familiar, but at least Familiar has a gameplay effect in addition to the passive stat boost it can afford you).

Magic Weapon needs at the very least to have a Mantra-style increased activation effect, or have a duration lower than its cooldown, or something. I wouldn't be sad to see it removed entirely.
Reply Quote

Seeing as how your weapons are tied into every single attack/spell you use, I'd think it's quite possible the on-hit effects will work with a wizard's spells. Otherwise, it would be pointless to have a skill that only works when you use Basic Attack.

I currently have a dagger with +1-3 poison damage, and my abilities are not poisoning anything. I would assume the magic weapon works the same way.

Weapon elements do not apply to any ability that does damage "as ______". All of the Wizard spells do damage "as ______" except Spectral Blade, which is why weapon elements are applied when casting Spectral Blade.

The on-hit effects from Magic Weapon should work with all attacks, since the tool-tips were changed to state "attacks" instead of "melee hit".
Edited by ProTactX#1736 on 4/26/2012 2:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 02:25 PMPosted by ItsAZergling

I currently have a dagger with +1-3 poison damage, and my abilities are not poisoning anything. I would assume the magic weapon works the same way.

All chance on hit such as life steal, knock back, ext, all work for spells.

Elemental damage is baked into the damage range and therefore increase damage of spells. The actual element is not including in the spell, only the damage it adds. If the spell says "deals 240% weapon damage AS FIRE" that spell will only do fire damage. If the spell says does 240% weapon damage...." then it will take the element of the weapon equiped
Reply Quote

All chance on hit such as life steal, knock back, ext, all work for spells.

Elemental damage is baked into the damage range and therefore increase damage of spells. The actual element is not including in the spell, only the damage it adds. If the spell says "deals 240% weapon damage AS FIRE" that spell will only do fire damage. If the spell says does 240% weapon damage...." then it will take the element of the weapon equiped

wtf, this furum works like !@#$... i had to delete 2 times my post because it was formatted like %^-*. anyway here it is...

I think you are all wrong! lol (don't take it too seriously)

Blizzard already said poison damage is not a dot, it's not doing damage over time. It's like any other type of damage, it deals damage instantly, unless otherwize stated.

That is why you dont see monsters taking poison damage over time with +1-3 poison damage. But I would beleive the +1-3 poison damage does apply to the poison resist of the monsters when casting your spell. When I played the beta I found a weapon that adds fire damage, and I was clearly doing more damage with it than a standard weapon with no +elemental damage. It's hard to confirm what i'm saying because I didnt programmed it, so I don't know the formula behind output damage, but that's the only way it makes sense to me.

So because poison damage does not poison over time like in D2, i would also expect ice damage to not chill or freeze monsters unless otherwize state.
Check the Poison Dart skill on the witch doctor. The wording explicitly sais: "... an additional 40% weapon damage as poison over 2 seconds".
Check the Ray of Frost skill: "... slowing the target's movement by 30% for 3 seconds".

Special effect always seems to be well describe when there is. That being said, if you check Blizzard skill (no rune), it doesn't have any mention about snaring or freezing target. So don't expect that skill to chill monsters because you will likely be very disapoited when you try it. If you don't beleive me there are video's on youtube showing blizzard skill, it does not freeze or chill in anyway...

So is Magic Weapon (any rune) proc on your skills? Yes it proc, there is no doubt about it. Read the wording, it is explicitly refering to "attacks". That is ANY attack to me. Blizzard almost removed completely the basic attack, and remember when they remove "Virtuoso" passive and each other passive on other class that was boosting basic attack. Remember when Blizzard removed completely the basic attack from the game, people were complaining... If it weren't for that i'm sure Blizzard would have it completely removed by now. So thinking Magic Weapon (any rune) does nothing for your skill is total nonsense.
Reply Quote
Is anyone else having lag issues playing the beta right now?
Reply Quote
Blizzard already said poison damage is not a dot, it's not doing damage over time. It's like any other type of damage, it deals damage instantly, unless otherwize stated.

Correct, no one said other wise

That is why you dont see monsters taking poison damage over time with +1-3 poison damage. But I would beleive the +1-3 poison damage does apply to the poison resist of the monsters when casting your spell.

If the spell says " X weapon damage As poison" then the spell will deal ALL poison damage

When I played the beta I found a weapon that adds fire damage, and I was clearly doing more damage with it than a standard weapon with no +elemental damage. It's hard to confirm what i'm saying because I didnt programmed it, so I don't know the formula behind output damage, but that's the only way it makes sense to me.

+ elemental damage works exactly like + damage it increases the damage of the weapon. And therefore increases the damage of all spells.

For instance lets say I have this weapon equipped

Simple Hand Crossbow
12.8 Damage Per Second
5–17 Damage
1.60 Attacks per Second
+2-4 cold damage

If I used

Hungering Arrow
Fire a magically imbued arrow that seeks out targets for 115% weapon damage and has a 35% chance to pierce through targets.

The arrow will slow targets because of the cold damage. The spell doesn't say an element(including physical) so it will apply the cold debuff/

If I used

Rapid Fire
Cost: 20 Hatred initially, and an additional 10 Hatred while channeling
Rapidly fire for 228% weapon damage as Physical.

This one SPECIFICALLY states as physical so that's all it will do, and it wont be slowed by the cold damage.

So because poison damage does not poison over time like in D2, i would also expect ice damage to not chill or freeze monsters unless otherwize state.
Check the Poison Dart skill on the witch doctor. The wording explicitly sais: "... an additional 40% weapon damage as poison over 2 seconds".
Check the Ray of Frost skill: "... slowing the target's movement by 30% for 3 seconds".

Both of those skills do their respected element all that comes into effect is the weapon damage

Special effect always seems to be well describe when there is. That being said, if you check Blizzard skill (no rune), it doesn't have any mention about snaring or freezing target. So don't expect that skill to chill monsters because you will likely be very disapoited when you try it. If you don't beleive me there are video's on youtube showing blizzard skill, it does not freeze or chill in anyway...

Actually in the video you can see the monsters receive a blue tint, and are slowed.
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 04:26 PMPosted by Vaaz
The arrow will slow targets because of the cold damage

Did you test that? Why blizzard spell doesn't slow targets? it's doing cold damage...

04/26/2012 04:26 PMPosted by Vaaz
If the spell says " X weapon damage As poison" then the spell will deal ALL poison damage

I would like to know where you dig up that info cause i'm a little skeptical. Is it what you think or you have a source to confirm this?
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 04:41 PMPosted by Lethan
Did you test that? Why blizzard spell doesn't slow targets? it's doing cold damage...

ok I searched the furum and saw another post asking if weapon with cold would chill monsters and the guy who answer sais yes.

I'm still wondering why blizzard spell doesn't chill...
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 04:51 PMPosted by Lethan

ok I searched the furum and saw another post asking if weapon with cold would chill monsters and the guy who answer sais yes.

I'm still wondering why blizzard spell doesn't chill...

Blizzard does chill...
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Death Knight

Weapon elements do not apply to any ability that does damage "as ______". All of the Wizard spells do damage "as ______" except Spectral Blade, which is why weapon elements are applied when casting Spectral Blade.

The on-hit effects from Magic Weapon should work with all attacks, since the tool-tips were changed to state "attacks" instead of "melee hit".

+1 for the guy who knows what hes talking about
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]