Diablo® III

So...Dashing Strike.

I honestly only played around with it briefly on my first Monk, and felt it was not all that "exciting" since it did relatively no damage for the cost, and the snare isn't really useful (1.5s) in PvE. After playing with it on my second Monk though after it unlocked, I can't actually see myself playing without it while leveling up at least. But by then I'll have probably become so attatched to it that I won't be able to give it up. I played a Warrior in WoW for six years, and my favorite ability by far was Intercept.

DS isn't about the damage at all, it's for the mobility (getting in and out of trouble) and sniping higher priority targets. It's too bad that it doesn't work as advertised though. You can't dash to the "targeted area", only enemies and breakable objects. Now I have to decide between it costing 15 less spirit, or gaining 20% dodge for 3s.
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/26/2012 1:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thunderclap says hello ;)
Reply Quote
Playing around with DS in the beta, I also can't see myself not using it.

I have put DS Quicksilver into 100% of my proposed builds because dashing to breakables lets you use it like teleport and keep up / move faster than DH's when moving through dungeons.

I don't really care about the root or the uses in most actual fights because I also use Thunderclap and that teleport doesn't have an internal GCD on all my skills, but not having DS to move around makes me feel soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow.

I can also see the "get out of trouble" part getting a LOT more play when monsters actually do damage and don't die in one hit ;)
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 01:48 PMPosted by blitzkrieg

It's not even remotely similar. I had TC on both Monks, and while it's "ok" for bouncing between enemies that might be a few feet ahead of you, it just does not cover the distances that DS does. I also kind of liked your FoT + WotHF combo, (although I may just stick with WotHF), so it's going to make an Inferno based build extremely short on space.
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/26/2012 2:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 01:48 PMPosted by blitzkrieg

Dashing Strike says "nice range".
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 02:23 PMPosted by SpinDrJr

Thunderclap says "enjoy generating instead of spending spirit and doing more damage while only moving a little shorter of a distance" :p

Obviously purely for movement DS > TC but you also have to compare functionality and usefulness when it comes to your build as a whole. I'd take TC every day of the week, but that doesn't mean you have to :)
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 02:57 PMPosted by blitzkrieg

Thunderclap says "enjoy generating instead of spending spirit and doing more damage while only moving a little shorter of a distance" :p

Obviously purely for movement DS > TC but you also have to compare functionality and usefulness when it comes to your build as a whole. I'd take TC every day of the week, but that doesn't mean you have to :)

They are pretty much 100% different in my mind.
TC is for sticking to a mob, initiating a fight and moving around a battle.
DS is for moving around the map, initiating around LoS and getting OUT of a situation.

I take both in most of my builds.
Reply Quote
Did they change it so you can target empty space with DS?

Otherwise I can't see how the form of their movement differs other than range and the fact that one is really fast and one is instantaneous.
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 4/26/2012 3:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
One good thing if you're playing Multiplayer; you can target your teammates and DS to them, so if you have a ranged class sidekick and you get in deep, you can nick out and survive in a pinch.
Reply Quote

Otherwise I can't see how the form of their movement differs other than range and the fact that one is really fast and one is instantaneous.

FoT Thunderclap requires LoS and if you don't have LoS it will just punch at range and you won't move.
DS does not require LoS and will always move to the target of your choice and not something in between it.

FoT Thunderclap has an internal CD of either completing the combo or waiting several seconds.
DS does not have a CD which means you can quickly jump a VERY large distance.

These skills are so different!
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 03:31 PMPosted by Shygar
One good thing if you're playing Multiplayer; you can target your teammates and DS to them, so if you have a ranged class sidekick and you get in deep, you can nick out and survive in a pinch.

Awesome; didn't know that. My main complaint about dashing strike was its crappy escape capability, so if what you say is true, I might just use it.
Reply Quote

FoT Thunderclap requires LoS and if you don't have LoS it will just punch at range and you won't move.
DS does not require LoS and will always move to the target of your choice and not something in between it.

FoT Thunderclap has an internal CD of either completing the combo or waiting several seconds.

Actually, if you don't have a target such as a mob, a barrel, or etc to aim then your DS will move for a few feet. My opinion is that Blizzard should remove the restriction on DS to aim for that will make it useful.
Edited by Vosgedzam#1961 on 4/26/2012 4:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1. One good thing if you're playing Multiplayer; you can target your teammates and DS to them, so if you have a ranged class sidekick and you get in deep, you can nick out and survive in a pinch.

2. FoT Thunderclap requires LoS and if you don't have LoS it will just punch at range and you won't move.

3. FoT Thunderclap has an internal CD of either completing the combo or waiting several seconds.

Very good points, I didn't know the first and had forgot the second thing. As far as #3 goes, its not so much an internal CD as it is that the teleport aspect only triggers on the first hit of a combo.
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 4/26/2012 4:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 04:15 PMPosted by Vosgedzam
My opinion is that Blizzard should remove the restriction on DS to aim for that will make it useful.

While I'm torn whether or not to use a whole skill slot for DS in the long run, this would definitely make it stay. +1

It's most likely a bug, but sometimes I succeeded in triggering DS without a target, so that I'd just dash until I hit something. It occurred in patch 15 (not sure if I ever did it in 16).

But it was mad awesome.
Edited by Malmer#2373 on 4/26/2012 11:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
both thunderclap and dashing strike are not working as intended.
thunderclap has a huge delay before its teleport, and you can only click the enemy once and wait the teleport, if you are too hurry and clicked several times, too bad you will end up with running towards him.
similarly, dashing strike has a huge delay after landing, you can clearly see the monk swiping his hand with knives, this animation takes abt 0.5-1 second! I tried with really fast aps weapon and gear (2.43 aps) and the delay remains the same. Sometimes this delay is fatal and hope they can fix it.
Edited by HolyRedbull#1183 on 4/27/2012 2:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
40 Blood Elf Warlock
04/26/2012 04:17 PMPosted by blitzkrieg
1. One good thing if you're playing Multiplayer; you can target your teammates and DS to them, so if you have a ranged class sidekick and you get in deep, you can nick out and survive in a pinch.

2. FoT Thunderclap requires LoS and if you don't have LoS it will just punch at range and you won't move.

3. FoT Thunderclap has an internal CD of either completing the combo or waiting several seconds.

Very good points, I didn't know the first and had forgot the second thing. As far as #3 goes, its not so much an internal CD as it is that the teleport aspect only triggers on the first hit of a combo.

The point for #1 is incorrect. I have play tested this on the Beta and we are unable to dashing strike to a friendly player.

However, I would like to add another important difference between dashing strike and thunderclap is that we can dashing strike through a group of enemies but thunderclap can not. For example if we are surrounded by a group of monsters thunderclap can not teleport out but dashing strike can, this is quite a useful advantage.
Reply Quote
how about just hoping to have max Movement Speed at the end of game and not needing either DS or FoT
Reply Quote
Use both. Speed, the ground you can cover with thunderclap and dashing strike is amazing. My friend said it was crap, but I showed him how to play monk. He was like DAMN you are fast.

I said, "I told you so."

Going to be leveling up like that through the game. Him being a demon hunter vaulting and me dashing. Non- stop, no slowing down.
Reply Quote
72 Blood Elf Rogue
Honestly, Shift+Clicking Thunderclap moved just as far to me than Dashing Strike(w/o the half sec delay aftercast). The combination of the two does seem to be very useful althought for how long who can tell. Really all we have meddled with are the first 7 or so skills so I'm sure all our proposed uses for certain skills will be gone once we see the animations, etc. for all the other skills.
Reply Quote
I never saw a delay with TC. There was a range limit, so if you clicked on a mob outside of this you started moving towards him then would blink.

But if the mob was within range it was instant.

I do see the delay in DS. You can even miss the target if they are moving away from you and you start from far enough back.

Its like the Barbs Leap Attack. If he tries to leap from to far and the target moves, he will miss completely. As so does the Monk with DS.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]