Diablo® III

Mystic Ally

Just curious, i havent heard much discussion about it. I think a lot of people have been writing it off as useless. I think this will be useful for solo play, since in Co-OP stuff will be dying way too fast.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bdXVjk!YXd!abbZaa
Sample solo build, AOE/Mobility/Survivability.

Any thoughts or opinions on this skill and its uses? Whos going to use this?? If so, what rune will you be using?
Edited by Bombat#1890 on 4/26/2012 3:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
That skill kind of reminds me of the valkyrie or the shadow clone that assassins got, but I am not sure how useful it will be. I guess it depends if you need some other damage soaker cause I dont think the dps is going to be super spectacular out of that skill. But if you are solo playing you get to use followers so it may make that skill even less useful, so I dunno.
Edited by Elleragu#1281 on 4/26/2012 10:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
For solo play having both your Follower and your Mystic Ally could be a fun way to play.

It would also provide more useful ways to use MoR. Having 2 meat shields reflecting damage back will help increase your OTD. Overall Total Damage
Reply Quote
On paper, Mystic Ally is as good, if not better, than the Witch Doctor's Gargantuan. MA has very similar damage output with additional utility. Maybe the Gargantuan has more hp or other attributes, but I can't say from the tooltip alone.

It's really hard to guess at the effectiveness of skill without playing it in game. I'm sure in reality that the Gargantuan is better.

Mystic Ally is a good fire and forget ability. If you'd rather focus your APM on other attacks, launch MA as extra DPS/Meat Shield/Resource Boost so you don't throw off your skill rotation. You can also think of MA as one of the Monk's only ranged attacks; safe to perform without getting hit yourself.
Reply Quote
The way the skill runes for Mystic Ally look, I'd say 'Earth ally' or 'Water ally' could be good.

Earth ally: +10% max life for you and ally, plus an agro move

Water Ally: 30% slow attack, 2 sec duration.

Earth ally is probably the much better choice, but really, it all depends on what the MA's life is. If it's 50% of your life that could be really great combined with MoH; sort of makes you question that Mantra's skill rune.

Mystic ally (earth) + Mantra of healing (heavenly body)= +10% max life and +10% vitality that could be good.

Either way, since there is no cooldown on MA, as long as it has some ability to withstand damage, i think it's as good as most of the other skills.

A build like this might be good.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UZ.fjQ!ZYb!cb.Ycc
Reply Quote
That skill kind of reminds me of the valkyrie or the shadow clone that assassins got

Exactly my thoughts. I enjoyed both in D2.

The way the skill runes for Mystic Ally look, I'd say 'Earth ally' or 'Water ally' could be good.

Earth ally is probably the much better choice, but really, it all depends on what the MA's life is. If it's 50% of your life that could be really great combined with MoH; sort of makes you question that Mantra's skill rune.

I only plan on soloing normal, hence the lower level rune.

I think i'll use it and have a follower. Rest of my damage will be from Deadly reach/Exploding palm.

Thanks for the feedback. Lets hope this is a hidden gem.
Reply Quote
That skill kind of reminds me of the valkyrie or the shadow clone that assassins got.

Problem is, in D2 you could cast it and move on. Here it takes up one of six valuable skill spots. Not sure if it's worth of that.
Reply Quote
Air Ally + Resolve could be quite useful
Reply Quote
I guess we need to try them out. The question I got tonight when trying to squeeze one in to a build was which one would be better in higher dif. That tank Ally or the self resurrecting ally?
They both have their benefits.
Reply Quote
I guess we need to try them out. The question I got tonight when trying to squeeze one in to a build was which one would be better in higher dif. That tank Ally or the self resurrecting ally?

Earth for sure in higher difficulty. 3 second taunt ability will be nice. It only costs 25 spirit, so 2 combos and you're set.
Reply Quote

Earth for sure in higher difficulty. 3 second taunt ability will be nice. It only costs 25 spirit, so 2 combos and you're set.

I guess I could have checked tghe skill beofer posting. I was thinking of 50 spirit woth some sort of cooldown, but yeah 25 is not bad if you can resummon him as soon as he dies.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]