Diablo® III

Wands, any work around?

Wands, I love them. Fast, magical and orb friendly. Almost always beating my 2hnder dps items by a few points when combined with OH, Problem is when out of arcane power I almost always cast a wand ranged attack thus eating a signature cast... Any way to assign a signature to default atk or 'below' AP use, because honestly, I can't see the point of using a wand at all with signature spells available..
Reply Quote
Umm... don't wait till you are out of AP before switching back to casting your signature spells?
Reply Quote
Why should I be punished for dropping all my AP? Most times I want to drop all my burst on packs as a wiz, then rely on my lower dmg sigs... I don't really feel like recording and remembering the exact amounts of spells:Ap I can use but I guess I will be forced to, it just gets a little dicey when you factor in other AP combinations and even more dicey when you try to move due to some fat fatt enemy hit boxes and the amount of targetable inanimate objects. Let's face it, wands are obsolete when you have signatures... in fact there a deficit due to added clunkyness apart from being stat generators. The only thing I can think of them being useful for is the magic weapon bonuses. I know this is a small gripe but fixing it would be a win/win situation.
Reply Quote
There is currently no way to do what you want, so to my opinions an other wand advantage cuz when I run out of AP whit a melee wep I run to mob..so whit wand I stay put and shot. Be aware or your resource and be ready to cast Sig whne you out of AP is all bud.
Reply Quote
yeah : ( i know. personally i'd rather run to a mob, at least then i can click again to run where I want to move.. Just wanted that little extra smoothness of polished game play : P
Reply Quote
Personally, I look at wands and staffs as stat sticks to boost my other spells/abilities. I've almost never used a wand or staff to attack something (maybe the wand at low level in WoW if I ran out of mana using my frost spells and needed something quickly to finish off an attacker).

I just manage my game around what I else I have. Of course, with a new game, it means learning new things so who knows lol.

Reply Quote
exactly Six, although the wand is now a main weapon in d3 and unlike melee's, who suffer less from the auto attacking, the wiz needs to be less negatively impacted by this mechanic.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
Its a skill issue, so no they will never change this i doubt, you have 100AP, you should know how much AP you have to spend, if you do not have enough AP, you should also realize this, i never had this problem when playing the beta, i cast my x ammount of spells, then i do signatures, or i cast 1 of each, and just pay mild attention to my character... its up to you.
Reply Quote
You don't need a work around for this. This is a user error. You're having trouble with either timing (clicking too many times/holding down a button too long) or managing your resource (just read the AP costs on your skills and consciously pay attention to your AP orb). Once you play a little more, this should no longer be an issue.
Reply Quote
Imagine. I'm in inferno (not beta...) and you need to pay a lot more then 'mild attention' to your character and the plethora of enemies onscreen...

What point is there paying attention to the AP orb, due to there being no numeric representation... (this would fix it all imo because I could use precision timing rather then having to guesstimate from a visual representation and losing seconds 'after clicking' spells)
I know exactly how many spells I can cast before limited.There are going to be more situations then not when you have to do something other then 'cast x amount of spells then cast signatures'... say stunning an enemy before it devastates you. This will make huge strings of calculation next to impossible.

You are right though, I know what I need to do to correct this it's just that I don't want anything below perfect in my game style, missing crucial seconds after a skill lights up or trying to time it perfectly but being a fraction of a second off and then casting my excuse of an item, the wand..

I know!! I will draw little marks on my screen over the AP orb for each spell with a white board marker *internal manic cackle*
Edited by sake#1134 on 4/30/2012 9:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Your skills are greyed out when you don't have enough AP to cast them anyway. I don't see what the issue is, as long as you don't blindly spam your abilities.
Reply Quote
the problem is I should be able to spam and not have to change my game play around an item that detracts from your char when you use it...
Reply Quote
I agree with the OP. There should at least be an option for the char to do nothing when being ordered to cast a spell while below the AP req for that spell.
Reply Quote
The easiest and most agreeable option would be for your wand to cast your assigned signature spell.

Think about it from this perspective, if you have ever played wow, imagine every time you were OOM you were forced to stand still and eat a global cool down. If your character used mana as a resource you know you should be running for dear life.. I know mana in wow isn't so much an issue anymore but it sure used to be. Then add the fast paced nature of D3 and the intensity of inferno mode and this mechanic seems very counter intuitive : (
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
This is really a moot point. Once your in the game and get a solid feel for your casting you will instinctively know how many casts you can do before your AP is empty and will thus just change to your signature skill.

This is why its important to keep the signature spell on your left click mouse (for you right handers anyway). It will be the most used skill ever.
Reply Quote
this fixes everything!!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/wizardspike
Reply Quote
05/01/2012 12:20 AMPosted by sakeless
this fixes everything!!

No, weilding non-ranged weapon is even worse, because you start running towards the target when you run out of AP. Unless you press the stay-in-on-place-and-attack key (default: shift).
Reply Quote
yeah but at least I can interrupt that and take the action I want
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
Try switching to your signature spell after you run out of AP.

Those don't cost any AP.

Otherwise this seems like a silly topic.
Reply Quote
you need to read Dak...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]