Diablo® III

Team-based ladder (competitive co-op)

Blizzard's reasons for emphasizing co-op PvE over PvP are clear, and should be well understood by now. I feel it is a serious mistake however, to ignore the significant demand for performance metrics. Players of all skill levels will have a natural desire to measure their performance against that of other players, and my goal here is to offer an alternative to arena pvp that avoids the issue of balance altogether.

The Solution:

What I envision is essentially a team-based game mode that ranks teams based on all kinds of interesting statistics. You jump into Bnet, and create a game with your team members. You then proceed to run the selected D3 quest as a team. The team is then measured on clear times, damage dealt, damage taken, loot/gold earned etc. Your team is then ranked accordingly. You can then compare your team's performance in quest X against the performance of others.

Obstacles:

As I see it, the one serious obstacle to this sort of thing is the random dungeon/encounter element that makes Diablo so replayable. My solution to this is straightforward: create a single "build" for every quest that persists through every team ladder season. Competitive teams will then be able to practice the same dungeons over and over until they achieve surgical efficiency. On the other hand, the randominity could very well be ignored, and teams would have to deal with the random construction of dungeons and encounters as an integral part of the competitive co-op experience.

TL,DR:
A team-based ranked co-op game mode would be a great way to please competitive Diablo players.

I am eager to get some good feedback, and encourage the community to discuss.
Reply Quote
I would be really interested to know what blizzard thought about this, I'm sure it must have come up internally.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
to the top, great idea
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
can this guy get a blue response?
Reply Quote
Thanks, Wiredd.
Reply Quote
I don't mean to be a flamer but it honestly sounds like the Challenge mode Blizzard is going to be using in WoW. I could be wrong, just sounds like that is what you are getting at with the "time run" idea

I guess the only difference is in WoW you aren't ranked against other, you just have loot and stuff to show off. (No I am now just preaching wow, I quit back in December, I just thought this seems like their new system)
Edited by Dibblackbird#1264 on 5/2/2012 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If so, is that good or bad in your view? What's the implication?
Edited by uberjawa#1170 on 5/2/2012 11:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Um, is that good or bad? What's the implication?

The whole point is this game isn't built for that. Jay even said when you play they want you playing more than just small bits at a time. This would just put pressure on playing small clips of the game at a time (much like turning that part of the game into a dungeon run) instead of playing large portions at a time.
Reply Quote
I don't mean to be a flamer but it honestly sounds like the Challenge mode Blizzard is going to be using in WoW. I could be wrong, just sounds like that is what you are getting at with the "time run" idea

I guess the only difference is in WoW you aren't ranked against other, you just have loot and stuff to show off. (No I am now just preaching wow, I quit back in December, I just thought this seems like their new system)

I dont think this is a flame at all. Doesnt matter if the two games have something similar.

05/02/2012 11:44 AMPosted by Dibblackbird
Um, is that good or bad? What's the implication?

The whole point is this game isn't built for that. Jay even said when you play they want you playing more than just small bits at a time. This would just put pressure on playing small clips of the game at a time (much like turning that part of the game into a dungeon run) instead of playing large portions at a time.

This is true, but it has to be kept in mind that this would be a completely separate game mode. Ideally with a limited number of quests available, lets say (10). So I dont think the above applies. The regular PvE diablo experience of playing large sections of the game would still remain completely intact
Reply Quote
The length of the portion measured and scored is really up to Blizzard. If they felt like implementing something like this for all of Act I, let's say, then it wouldn't be small portions at a time at all.

In either case, it makes no difference. As I see it, there isn't anything about this idea that runs counter to any of the fundamental goals Blizzard has set for D3. You're taking the PvE experience they've already created, and using it to give competitive players a chance to measure themselves against one another.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
As someone who thoroughly enjoyed the PvP aspect of D2 and loved the community it had created I would really like to see this implemented, maybe not right away since it's a new thought but adding a competetive aspect to PvE play is something that would make this game's replayability skyrocket.
Reply Quote
I love the competitive aspects of gaming, in fact it is one of my primary reasons for picking up a game. Though Blizzard has stated this is not their focus for release of D3, this suggestion seems like a nice bridge they could utilize for now while figuring out their long term PvP system. I can already imagine doing some nice "time runs" with friends and comparing ourselves to everyone else.

I would love to read a blue response for this.
Edited by EvaUnit01#1259 on 5/2/2012 12:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/02/2012 12:12 PMPosted by Wiredd
As someone who thoroughly enjoyed the PvP aspect of D2 and loved the community it had created I would really like to see this implemented, maybe not right away since it's a new thought but adding a competetive aspect to PvE play is something that would make this game's replayability skyrocket.

Agreed. Furthermore, I'm not sure D3 will necessarily have the staying power of D2 without something like what I'm suggesting.
Reply Quote
44 Gnome Mage
This will NOT be an Esport , GO AWAY
Reply Quote
05/02/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Middlefinger
This will NOT be an Esport , GO AWAY

What do E-sports have to do with what I'm suggesting?
Edited by uberjawa#1170 on 5/2/2012 1:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Bumping for blue post
Reply Quote
Elitist vying for attention. I like it.
Reply Quote
05/02/2012 01:24 PMPosted by RaepYoo
don't make competition out of pve or pvp the game is strictly carebear

The non-competitive PvE element would still be in the game, sir. I don't understand how this would be a problem for the "carebear" players. You wouldn't have to play this game mode.
Reply Quote
44 Gnome Mage
What do E-sports have anything to do with what I'm suggesting

any type of ranking will just make everyone demand balance , aka start demanding that this class get nerfed and that class get nerfed .

Blizzard has already said that they WILL NOT DO THAT . all the BS you guys keep posting will not change it . IMO you should find another game if you want competitive pvp, D3 is not that
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]