Diablo® III

Countdown *15* - To WSAD Or Not To WSAD?

Fire still rains from the sky. In the meantime, lets take a walk down memory lane and go through some of the biggest topics on the boards of the last year or two - that are hopefully still relevant now.

So pull up a chair while we look back at some stuff and how opinions have changed - or not :)

This is an interesting one. A few threads recently blew this into a rather large issue, that unfortunately ended in a 'Diablo versus WoW' poop flingaganza.

Basically the argument revolves around whether Diablo 3 should use the traditional APRG 'point and click' interface as opposed to a more modern WSAD configuration.

At first glance this seems to be a no brainer. However...

1) WSAD allows more precise and quick control, allowing for more challenging fights - especially of the bullet hell variety (note: not saying console controls are superior to keyboard/mouse in shooters or anything). Just take a look at a little game called "Binding Of Isaac" for an example.

One word: Strafe.

2) Diablo 3 is almost inevitably going to go to consoles, which likely will use a control style similar to WSAD.

Honestly, I'm not overly phased. Either seems good, or some combination. It would be odd though if the controls differed to a large degree from PC to console.

I guess point and click feels more natural at this point, though.

How about you?

Which style would you prefer for D3, and why?

<Note: I do not support WSAD or point to click. I am fine with either, or with both>
Edited by Starbird#1487 on 4/29/2012 5:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
d3 style because it is DIABLO not wow. if you must move in WASD go back to wow and leave us with our point and click movement game
Reply Quote
Point and click, because that's what diablo is.

/sips coffee
Reply Quote
04/29/2012 05:29 AMPosted by Starbird
1) WSAD allows more precise and quick control,

this is about as good as the people that try argue that FPS games on a console with a controller > PC with mouse + keyboard. Yes there are many people that have tried to argue this and like yourself in the case of D3 + WASD they are still in the VAST minority.

P.S. @Ritalynn - hows the heart coping with all that coffee? :P
Edited by Zoidburg#1405 on 4/29/2012 5:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
With the diablo camera angle, its much better click to move.
Reply Quote
04/29/2012 05:35 AMPosted by Zoidburg

this is about as good as the people that try argue that FPS games on a console with a controller > PC with mouse + keyboard. Yes there are many people that have tried to argue this and like yourself in the case of D3 + WASD they are still in the VAST minority.

he should be okay really sure it seems like a lot of coffee but he is only sipping it
Reply Quote
Either seems good, or some combination.

If you bind Move to "W", that's 1/4 of the WSAD functionality right there... :)

(well, sort of, you still have to aim with your mouse... so let's say 1/8)
Edited by Dragonfly#1941 on 4/29/2012 5:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't mind either, but game should stick with one control scheme instead of two.
Reply Quote
I feel the argument that "WSAD=WOW=BAD" is lacking. So what if WOW uses it? It's not like it invented it; plenty of other games use it. This is one of those things where emotion trumps reason, and people are screaming to preserve a distinct Diabloness despite the more modern scheme's clear superiority as a control method. Why not argue for a fixed camera angle too? I'm playing D3 and disregarding WOW because of the fundamental differences in game mechanics, and my enjoyment of the game would surely not be hindered by an easier, more responsive, precise and immersive means of navigating within the world.
Reply Quote
I have no opinion on the subject. Point and Click work for me.

I believe earlier it was stated that WASD provides an advantage over point and click.
Also, point and click is the traditional control scheme.

I would imagine that if they do port the game to consoles there will be a larger amount of internal testing on the new interfacing (testing they probably haven't had a chance to do yet). WASD may be added as a feature down the road after all that testing.
Reply Quote
I played Bastion which uses WASD and it just didn't feel right. It's like you're a floating turret that just shoots out in any direction.
Reply Quote
1) WSAD allows more precise and quick control, allowing for more challenging fights - especially of the bullet hell variety. Just take a look at a little game called "Binding Of Isaac" for an example.

I'm still lost on how WASD is somehow more precise than using the mouse.... especially in a game with an isometric view.... srsly, if you want WASD play your choice of mmo... diablo3 isn't that game. srry
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Direct neural interface please.
Reply Quote
04/29/2012 05:35 AMPosted by Zoidburg

Don't take me wrong. I'm not talking about consoles by any means.

I'm comparing it in the context of something like Binding of Isaac or bullet hell shooters. Keyboard just feels *way* more precise for me. Of course mouse and keyboard are far superior for shooters.
Reply Quote
04/29/2012 05:43 AMPosted by Innervision
1) WSAD allows more precise and quick control, allowing for more challenging fights - especially of the bullet hell variety. Just take a look at a little game called "Binding Of Isaac" for an example.

I'm still lost on how WASD is somehow more precise than using the mouse.... especially in a game with an isometric view.... srsly, if you want WASD play your choice of mmo... diablo3 isn't that game. srry

As said, go and play Binding of Isaac...and try to imagine playing some of those bosses in a point to click mode.
Reply Quote
Honestly it's not a personal attack on people who enjoy using WASD.... but if there's one thing i've learned from my years of gaming it's that you have to adapt. Anyone who gives the control scheme 2-3 hrs of gameplay will acknowledge that mouse + point/click is perfectly fine.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
If you want to get technical, the default movements for WoW are W-Q-E-S, you have to re-bind left and right strafes.

I really don't see what having that type of movement would help out with in this style of game. Although after 5+ years of W-A-S-D etched in my brain I do find myself hitting them in the middle of the game (along with the space bar to jump).

Hopefully I can reprogram myself to stop doing that by the 15th
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]