Diablo® III

Countdown *15* - To WSAD Or Not To WSAD?

No wasd functionality and no ranked PvP are the two most deciding factors on whether or not I want to buy the game. Why wouldn't they have wasd movement? Could someone give a real answer as to why they don't have wasd?? Sure it's not wow. But having to point and click every single thing is a bit ridiculous imo. I played D1 and D2, and a recovering Wow addict, but come on..Please. Adding a wasd option in d3 would be awesome and make a lot of people happy. I don't see what the big deal is.
Reply Quote
with WASD = you can aim while moving = game balance issue = will never happen / be allowed!

The game would be boring with WASD imo.

Blizzard already said that it wouldn't be allowed because it would make the game too easy to exploit certain scenarios and that they had already discussed it.

Ranged classes would become OP, kiting would be too easy.
Reply Quote
Okay so this is how i see it. Say they implement WASD key movement. You strafing and killin e'r thing. Then suddenly, LOOT. Would you also have them implement another way to pick up loot or are you still going to click on it.. which means your walking all the way over to the said loot just to click on it. SMART. I'd rather just click on it and have it walk my hero there for me. Point and click is what it makes Diablo. Besides the Steel Series Diablo 3 mouse has a driver to count how many times you click. Click or GTFO lol
Reply Quote
I already use WASD; for hotkeys.
Reply Quote
I believe having WASD would wreck the feel of the game. BUT if the console version of the game plays on the same servers I will whine like a little !@#$% until PC can use WASD since controllers have a huge advantage in Inferno and PvP
Reply Quote
There is already a game script that allows you to use WASD/Gamepad/Joystick to move your character. You can still move with the mouse in combination with WASD/Gamepad/Joystick. Blizzard has already said WASD is better in some situations, so I am not sure where all the people who say WASD is terrible is coming from.

Frankly I would only use WASD maybe 5% of the time and that is when I am trying to shoot someone far away and then want to immediately move away or to the side after the shoot animation is over and then shoot again afterwards. You can still do this with the mouse, but it is inaccurate, cumbersome, and very tiring to do. While the mouse can be very accurate, when you're trying to move it so quickly, it pretty much becomes move in a general direction rather than a specific point.

If Inferno is really as difficult as Blizzard claims it is, I am sure WASD and especially Joysticks/Gamepads will become a lot more popular than they are currently.
Edited by Lemius#1767 on 4/29/2012 10:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/29/2012 10:46 AMPosted by NightAngel
So, can we look forward to 14 more of these thinly disguised troll threads that bring up topics that have been argued to death ad infinitum and are nothing but forum garbage at this point?

You just described the Diablo 3 forums as a whole right there.
Reply Quote
04/29/2012 06:30 AMPosted by Bloggins
this is a moot point in talking about the dev have said time and again no to WASD in D3 it is not diablo like

It may be a moot point currently, but it's going to get interesting once this hits consoles. Point and click doesn't translate well. WSAD does :)
Reply Quote
While I do not want WASD controls in D3, it could work.

Melee classes would be at a disadvantage though.

To people flaming Starbird;

apply palm to face, repeat if necessary...better yet, just repeat!
Reply Quote
04/29/2012 09:37 AMPosted by fatemasher
No wasd functionality and no ranked PvP are the two most deciding factors on whether or not I want to buy the game. Why wouldn't they have wasd movement? Could someone give a real answer as to why they don't have wasd?? Sure it's not wow. But having to point and click every single thing is a bit ridiculous imo. I played D1 and D2, and a recovering Wow addict, but come on..Please. Adding a wasd option in d3 would be awesome and make a lot of people happy. I don't see what the big deal is.

1- Brings up a whole whack of balancing issues for playing ranged characters vs melee characters.

2- Isometric view is NOT an ideal view for use of WASD, point and click works better for that type of environment.

3- If it's not broken, don't fix it. Point and click worked well for D1 and D2, and it helps lend to the entire 'feel' of the diablo series.

4- Even if they did add it as a choice, that's so much more development time because of aforementioned balancing issues.

5- A lot of people are unaware that you can hold shift to shoot in place, and I believe you can use a different key to walk through crowds of monsters without stopping to attack.
Reply Quote
Maybe these guys should spam the League of legends/Heroes of Newerth/Dota 2 forums with this stuff and see the feedback.

Controls are part of the game as well. I swear it seems like some of these guys never played more than a few popular pc games. Point to click isn't hard and has been used in many games. It isn't a handicap. It creates the game play. It is how it was designed. Enjoy it for what it is or leave it.

It reminds of very recent stuff I read people say on Legend of Grimrock. They believe the game would be better if it wasn't on a grid etc. The game play of LoG is what makes it the unique experience that it is.

You'll find that point and click is unique to games like this and you'll learn to love it!

They could put wasd in the game and I'll bet over time, some of you would stray away from that !@#$ty movement(that if it doesn't totally unbalance the game they designed around click)

Respect games for their end result guys. Just learn to play it, it's fun!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]