Diablo® III

My Diablo Desk

05/02/2012 03:38 PMPosted by Rygarius
Wait, what soulstone?
Exactly, what soulstone?
Reply Quote
05/04/2012 07:53 AMPosted by Schizer
Carbon monoxide poisoning much?

Carbon monoxide burns blue. If the candles had blue flames, I'd be inclined to agree with you, but even so, as burning carbon monoxide produces carbon dioxide (a harmless gas even in high concentrations), I'd be remiss in my duties if I didn't tell you to read a book.

Cheers!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Hey guys, I think I'm ready for Diablo

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr311/theprof00/Diablo/2012-04-29181153.jpg
ready for diablo? more like ready to draw a pentagram on the ground and sacrifice a sheep...
Reply Quote
Awesome work and congratulations on winning a competition with it!

Even better, though, is the way you handle all the trolls and flamers. They run rampant in these D3 forums. Lighten up and support a fellow gamer having fun.
Reply Quote
Hey Scrambles, I took a pic of what I've done so far. It's no where near finished (you can still see my CD holder and pen mug), but it gives you a good idea what mine will look like. I'm going for the whole "wizard's magic shop" look instead of "late night scribe". I'm also trying to be picky about the display since I have kids that like to play with the stuff on my desk.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj115/nytefey/IMG_2197.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj115/nytefey/IMG_2198.jpg

- The monitor stand is hand built from leftover lumber from Home Depot then covered in a piece of fabric from Jo-Ann.
- Bottom left are those empty antique liqueur bottles. Right above them is Health and Mana Energy drinks, filled with colored water.
- The candle holders in the middle I made in ceramics class back in high school.
- The brass box and old key I got from an antique shop years ago. The box is a rather handy place to keep my authenticator.
- I still need to get a few apothecary jars and fill them with silk plants from the dollar store, as well as make somesmall scrolls to sit at the base of my monitors.
Reply Quote
Hey Scrambles, I took a pic of what I've done so far. It's no where near finished (you can still see my CD holder and pen mug), but it gives you a good idea what mine will look like. I'm going for the whole "wizard's magic shop" look instead of "late night scribe". I'm also trying to be picky about the display since I have kids that like to play with the stuff on my desk.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj115/nytefey/IMG_2197.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj115/nytefey/IMG_2198.jpg

- The monitor stand is hand built from leftover lumber from Home Depot then covered in a piece of fabric from Jo-Ann.
- Bottom left are those empty antique liqueur bottles. Right above them is Health and Mana Energy drinks, filled with colored water.
- The candle holders in the middle I made in ceramics class back in high school.
- The brass box and old key I got from an antique shop years ago. The box is a rather handy place to keep my authenticator.
- I still need to get a few apothecary jars and fill them with silk plants from the dollar store, as well as make somesmall scrolls to sit at the base of my monitors.

Looks like the makings of a fabulous desk.

One tip I could give you is try to make the items seem so "placed". If you look at the items they seem to all be equidistant from one another. And they all seem to be "on display". Make use of your background area. Even if you can't see things completely, it'll look great. It's also good for hiding things that don't fit the scene. I had a bunch of things that were making me think "this isn't diablo at all" so I just used them for effect in the background.

I love all your baubles though, so don't hide any of those, although d r a p i n g the necklace over the box might look cool.

If you find a good feather (maybe at the beach?) You could sanitize it with some hydroperoxide and whittle the stem with a knife for a great quill, for a great centerpiece. (You could also get creative with a bedazzler or some shiny whatever glued to it and some very subtle nail polish on part of the feather)

Also, sometimes in the forest (oregon has forest area, right?) you can find this one type of tree that has braided ivy. It's essentially dead wood, but it's brown and braids a lot. I'm not sure why, but I'm feeling that braids would look great here. Big braided rope, braided vines, etc
In fact, if you have a lot of old magazines, you can rip out the pages and start twisting them together. Some old brown paint on them will help ensure the hold. A nice large curl about 2 feet in diameter with curls branching off of it and some fake leaves (just rip these off of fake plants at virtually any shopping area lol) would make for a great piece to go on the wall behind your monitors.

Additionally, I'm thinking a little rock terrarium with smooth rocks in a clear dish would look great. Perhaps a hermit crab.
Also, I dunno why, but I'm thinking some bronze of some kind. Like, a bronze curtain rod, or some such thing. I'm not sure where or what, but bronze would look really nice in this whole setup.

Oh and also pardon me for making suggestions. I'm just really excited for your desk lol.
What is wrong with me hahaha
Edited by Scrambles#1870 on 5/4/2012 10:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Also nice mouse, I have the exact same one.
Reply Quote
so amazing...

Would love to play this till 5am by candlelight. Good job scrambles!
Reply Quote
Hopefully don't suffer from Asthma

Looks cool. You could probably fake some of the larger candles with LED ones.
Reply Quote
That desk is gonna give me nightmares, creepy stuff :)
Edited by Portal#1862 on 5/4/2012 10:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Like I said, the setup is no where near complete. I put the items there out in the open more to show you, they will be moved around as I gather more. Like I mentioned, I have to be careful what I use since I have 2 kids, so I don't want to use anything that they can hurt themselves on or break by accident. A few other things I want to get:

- A wooden box with drawers.
- Test tubes
- LED candles to replace the real ones (fire+kids=BAD)
- Small cauldron

I also need to clean out my desk drawers so I can stash the CD's and pens away. LOL my husband commented on my desk and asked if I was going to summon some zombie dogs in RL. I told him not unless he intended to clean up after them and take them on walks. My 7 year old thinks my desk looks like something from Harry Potter.
Edited by Hexy#1569 on 5/4/2012 10:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Quite scary and cool at the same time
Reply Quote
Like I said, the setup is no where near complete. I put the items there out in the open more to show you, they will be moved around as I gather more. Like I mentioned, I have to be careful what I use since I have 2 kids, so I don't want to use anything that they can hurt themselves on or break by accident. A few other things I want to get:

- A wooden box with drawers.
- Test tubes
- LED candles to replace the real ones (fire+kids=BAD)
- Small cauldron

I also need to clean out my desk drawers so I can stash the CD's and pens away. LOL my husband commented on my desk and asked if I was going to summon some zombie dogs in RL. I told him not unless he intended to clean up after them and take them on walks. My 7 year old thinks my desk looks like something from Harry Potter.

HAHA That is awesome!
I really like your ideas for items and trinkets.
I bet your family is really going to love it, especially the kids :D.

Kids have so much appreciation for creative things
Reply Quote

HAHA That is awesome!

My only major problem is the fact that my computer sits in the front family room, so anyone visiting my house will instantly see what looks like an altar to the gaming gods. Although it might come in handy when the JW's show up again...*evil grin*
Reply Quote

HAHA That is awesome!

My only major problem is the fact that my computer sits in the front family room, so anyone visiting my house will instantly see what looks like an altar to the gaming gods. Although it might come in handy when the JW's show up again...*evil grin*

ahahahahaha, I think that's just fine. Mine's in the front room too!
Ordered some Chinese food last night and I had just turned on the fog machine to see if it would freak him out a bit, and the guy was like "awww theese a bad bad room. You have a fiya burn down da whole building haha....(I said oh you like it?) Aww yeaar, yeah, very scary too, I stay up ow night now haha"

And then I was like, "hey, do you like Huey Lewis and the News?"
Edited by Scrambles#1870 on 5/4/2012 11:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Druid
You sure win 100 internets.... use them wisely
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
This just looks so awesome!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
And, don't accidentally summon real diablo when you don't have gears yet to defeat him >.>
Reply Quote
05/04/2012 11:23 AMPosted by XIVIGAN
Where'd you get the worn parchment from? looks cool

Brown bag, cut into paper sizes.
Brew some coffee, or black tea in a high concentration. Pour the liquid into a small spray bottle, and spray the paper with the brown paper. Dry it with a hair-dryer (Heat helps lock in the color). Then burn it.

Also, you should write on it before you do either of those things.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]