Diablo® III

Defeating the Skeleton King

68 Undead Priest
I am embarrassed to admit this because I know most here probably have whooped the skeleton king many times, but I cannot beat the guy and I am not sure what the secret is. I have been using a Witch Doctor and have sent hounds after him, grasped him with the arms from the ground, and shot him with darts, but the combo of his smacking on me and his minions adding to my damage, I am unable to beat him. Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...
Reply Quote
Kite, kite and kite.

Use health globes/healing potion wisely, dont just spam whenever you can.

Have a mix of single target dps and aoe, if the mobs are overwhelming you. Its a good time to kill them and then focus on the skeleton king.

Make sure you have some decent gear, a good weapon is always important to make the fight faster.
Reply Quote
This feels troll, but I'd feel bad if nobody helped you and you weren't a troll.

He telegraphs all of his moves - look for animations that precede things like his Teleport Swing, and his Multi-forward-swings. When he telegraphs his Teleport Swing, start moving. It doesn't really matter where, just that you be in motion so that he teleports, swings, and misses you. Keep a safe distance from him the rest of the time, and use a potion every time you dip below 50%. There's no shame in running away for a bit if your potion is on CD and you don't want to die.

If you've only used the WD, you should know that that's probably the hardest class to do him on if you're not high enough level to have some of the less terrible skills (or less terrible rune variants). Also weapons matter a ton. Use a high dps weapon so your spells don't suck :D
Edited by Alsier#1102 on 4/26/2012 6:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
if you are solo, make sure to get the templar. Also he uses a whirlwind attack, find out the animation he does before this and learn to avoid it. It can kill you in 3 shots. If you get low on hp just keep running and hitting him until either your potion cooldown is up or he spawns adds which drop health globes. If you still can not finish him off then i would suggest going back and getting to lvl 11+ or play a multiplayer round to see how others handle him.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
try to stay away from him always move use health orbs(for those kill his minions) use health potions etc its not that hard good luck!
Reply Quote
Make sure you're attacking him.
Reply Quote
Stop getting hit.

He telegraphs all of his attacks, and the skeletons are melee only.
Reply Quote
68 Undead Priest
Thank you; this is not a troll, sadly. My problem, I think, is that I try to stand in too much and not take the "flee" option. I then find that my potion timer is not finished and that it is difficult, sometimes, to wade through the enemies to reach a health globe. Also, I will have to pay more attention to the king's animations, I guess. I am usually so focused on the minions that I have not been able to pay much attention to him. Glad to hear the WD is the most difficult to win with, too. I have been leveling a Wizard in the hopes that it might be easier with him...
Reply Quote
Use Soul Harvest on his minions. That will significantly increase your DPS.
Reply Quote
68 Undead Priest
I am new to the beta as of last week, so this explains (in part) my ineptitude. Also, I am only level 8, so do not have soul harvest yet. That looks as though it would be helpful...
Edited by Pelty007#1225 on 4/26/2012 7:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
He has 3 special moves to avoid

1st is when he turns into a ghost and does 3 sweeping strikes since you're ranged you should just keep your distance to always be out of that range

2nd is he telegraphs where he's going to teleport so when he does that just run away from that spot

3rd is he'll spawn skeletons I generally kill them as quickly as possible to get health globes and then move back to attacking him
Edited by Neon#1837 on 4/26/2012 7:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
go watch a hardcore crazy ppl go 4 player lvl 1 vs skeleton king for 30mins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfRbswMOVmU
Reply Quote
The fact that you can't win just proves that people who smack their head with their keyboards on Youtube are stupid . . .
Reply Quote
Note that his attacks also damage the skeletons he spawns.
Reply Quote
welp, i think the person in youtube using his head smacking the keyboard needs medical attention.
Reply Quote
68 Undead Priest
04/26/2012 07:04 AMPosted by Failtacular
The fact that you can't win just proves that people who smack their head with their keyboards on Youtube are stupid . . .

Seems a bit unnecessary, really. Thanks to everyone else for their help...
Reply Quote
The easy way I found is to wait on 5 skellies - Soul harvest. Grasp the skeletons to get you some health globes.

Use the jumping spiders if you have them and spam the king. Keep using grasp between you and the king. Move and repeat when he gets close.

When he teleports you go grab a couple of globes since you may get hit. Keep casting what ever version of the hounds you have when the power recycles.

He actually goes down pretty quick this way. Also check to make sure you are using a decent DPS weapon since all your skills are based off it.
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 07:06 AMPosted by Plotinus

I'm not convinced that he meant that as an insult to you. He was more referring to how stupid the people who literally hit their keyboards against their heads to "prove" how "faceroll" D3 beta are.

Personally, I died the first time I took him on with a WD; combination of being low level and having a terrible weapon :(
Edited by Alsier#1102 on 4/26/2012 7:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 07:06 AMPosted by Plotinus

no really . . . if anyone ever finds a link to that youtube vid??

i got banned from replying on it because well. . . I'm a fanboy

04/26/2012 07:05 AMPosted by DiasFox
welp, i think the person in youtube using his head smacking the keyboard needs medical attention.

QFT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]