Diablo® III

Edit: Thread to be buried

Edit: Thanks to everyone who responded. We should probably bury this thread now.
Edited by Tiberius#1879 on 5/3/2012 5:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I honestly can't see a group of four coordinated monks ever dieing. Staggering Serenity (Tranquility), Breath of Heaven and Blinding Flash (both of which are kinda' standard for the damage buffs), four monks ought to go most fights without taking any significant damage. Toss in a couple of Inner Sanctuaries and some intelligent Mantra usage and...yeah.
Edited by tangmcgame#1802 on 4/28/2012 9:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
By team support, I hope you simply mean playing in a group; not everyone having builds with a bunch of random "support" skills.

I don't know why people pretend that these damage avoidance abilities that are usually very short, and on a long cooldown will somehow make you "unstoppable" compared to actually doing more damage. You only need 1-2 non damage abilities.

04/28/2012 09:41 PMPosted by stegatops
I honestly can't see a group of four coordinated monks ever dieing. Staggering Serenity (Tranquility), Breath of Heaven and Blinding Flash (both of which are kinda' standard for the damage buffs), four monks ought to go most fights without taking any significant damage. Toss in a couple of Inner Sanctuaries and some intelligent Mantra usage and...yeah.

Or how about four monks that use Exploding Palm on a different target and then Cyclone > BoH right after?
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/28/2012 9:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/28/2012 09:41 PMPosted by stegatops

^Now that's what I'm talking about! You in, stegatops?
Edited by Tiberius#1879 on 4/28/2012 9:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
4 monks will take forever to kill a single boss in inferno level (in my opinion)
Reply Quote
@Void: I'm talking about 4 monks taking turns granting immunity to the whole group and then buying time for the cooldowns to refresh by spamming blinds/heals. Unless there's diminishing returns on those abilities then it's going to be effective. Besides, you really only need 2-3 damage abilities.

And yeah, Exploding Palm ftw!

EDIT: I would be, but my schedule is very erratic and I'd have a hard time meeting up at any specific time. Not to mention I've already got some friends to play with. But good luck to you on this. I think that 4-man mono teams are going to be quite powerful considering all the self-synergy the classes are built with will naturally feed into strong combos.
Edited by tangmcgame#1802 on 4/28/2012 9:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/28/2012 09:44 PMPosted by Zumu
4 monks will take forever to kill a single boss in inferno level (in my opinion)

Not really. Just four Monks with nothing but mitigation skills would. With the right setup, you could up the group's individual damage by ~78% each, on top of reducing incoming damage.
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/28/2012 9:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/28/2012 09:44 PMPosted by Zumu

True, it might take twice as long, but if you're virtually invincible, what does it matter?
Edited by Tiberius#1879 on 4/28/2012 9:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#..YXg!V!..cbb

That would be the basic build for each, in my opinion. Then you specialize out of that. One guy debuffs, one guy is your big dps, one is full support/heals, and one is your troubleshooter. I wouldn't recommend mobility powers like Dashing Strike since the whole point is to stick close and synergize with each other, but if you're coordinated enough you should be able to pull it off.

Mantras
Conviction (Overawe) [DPS guy.]

Conviction (Submission) [This guy should be the debuffer and take Resolve as a passive; I'm assuming this combo actually works.]

Healing (Sustenance) [Support/Healer.]

Healing (Boon of Protection/Heavenly Body/Time of Need) [Whatever the group likes best.]
Edited by tangmcgame#1802 on 4/28/2012 10:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
count me in
Reply Quote
You totally have the right idea, steg. As I said in the OP, I'm NOT trying to establish a routine or obligatory gaming schedule. Just making a list of people from which you can likely find three others online at any given time to join up for some multiplayer. If you're interested, my battle tag is Tiberius#1879.
Reply Quote
tangmcgame#1802

I'm probably going to be running my WD up first, but I'll be happy to jump in on any 4x monk games if there's one at my level. Feel free to add me.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
BattleTag: Bonesplicer#1345

4Monk (already laying claim to this team comp terminology, thanks!) will definitely be a strong team. Each Monk takes 1 Mantra into combat (Runed as they see fit) and then all four of these substantial passive buffs are on the field at once - possible only in a 4Monk team.

The "ideal" 4Monk comp would be one Dual-Wield Tank Monk (due to the Passive granting increased dodge while dw'ing), one Healer Monk, and two DPS Monks.

I'm already working on a sheer Healer Monk build; this is what I've got so far:
Way of the Hundred Fists [Spirited Salvo]
Breath of the Heavens [Circle of Life]
Inner Sanctuary [Circle of Protection]
Cyclone Strike [Soothing Breeze]
Mystic Ally [Air Ally]
Mantra of Healing [Circular Breathing]
+
Exalted Soul
Chant of Resonance
Guiding Light

That set of abilities - yes, newcomers, you can have them all with Elective Mode - makes you the one-man sustain for the entire party. Why so much Spirit Generation? So you can re-click Mantra of Healing as often as possible, doubling the effect for 3 seconds, without having to break rotation on other abilities very often. (Rotating other abilities takes priority.)
Edited by Bonesplicer#1345 on 4/28/2012 10:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/28/2012 10:28 PMPosted by Bonesplicer
Why so much Spirit Generation? So you can re-click Mantra of Healing as often as possible, doubling the effect for 3 seconds, without having to break rotation on other abilities very often.

Brilliant! Haha, this is going to be great!
Reply Quote
Bonesplicer, I'm not sure trying to run a group like a WoW group (healer/tank/dps) is the right way to go about things. I know I used those labels, but that's more to describe what synergies the individual monks are bringing beyond the "standard" package I outlined. Really, you don't need a "tank" because if you stagger immunities right you should be almost never taking a hit (and it'll be healed up almost immediately if you do).

But to each his own.
Edited by tangmcgame#1802 on 4/28/2012 10:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Glad someone said it. Trying to treat this as an MMORPG is just silly.
Also, good luck "staggering immunities" without being on some kind of voice chat. You won't really be able to have a coordinated setup based off of sight except on really long fights.

You're actually making it more complicated than it needs to be. Serenity only lasts 2s on allies. Aside from passive buffs/debuffs from activating skills and mantras, all you need is BoH and Blind. You can get an automatic 25% damage reduction via MoC + Resolve and a 20% slow (attack speed) with Crippling Wave.
Edited by Nevermore#1419 on 4/28/2012 10:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think a 4 monk team will be the best all same class team.

2 monks could use crip wave the others could use WoTHF

2 could use exploding palm/2 lashing tail kick

all 4 mantras:

MoE (hard target) 20% Armor increase/ 15% dodge
MoR (retaliation) 60% damage reflect
MoH (time of need) Increase resistance to all damage 20%
MoC (reclamation) 12% damage increase/ 30% chance to heal 279-341 life per attack hit (2-3 attacks a second...heals that per second)

Crip wave from 2 monks:

(concussion) enemies inflict 20% less damage
(breaking wave) enemies take 10% more damage

But there are so many possibilities that it hurts my head to think about it
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
@Tiberius,

It seems fun to me, although I said it will take long before.

Count me in

Zmm#1188
Reply Quote
04/29/2012 08:25 AMPosted by Sapere
I think a 4 monk team will be the best all same class team.

Shall I count you in? For some people, their D3 battletag differs from the one stated when they post, so please let me know if your D3 battletag isn't Sapere#1866.

See you in game!
Reply Quote
@Tiberius,

It seems fun to me, although I said it will take long before.

Count me in

Zmm#1188

Will do! Also I agree; I want to play through solo at my own pace for a while. I don't intend on really doing the 4-Monk multiplayer until I hit a wall.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]