Diablo® III

A Couple questions on traps

Does anyone know what the effect the custom engineering passive has on spiked trap? I don't see any duration on it except for sticky trap and if that's all it does it's pretty underwhelming.

On caltrops - bait the trap do you get the crit buff for standing on an unactivated caltrops or is it only after it goes off that the buff is given? Also would the crit buff just be applied to the DH who put it there or could other party members get the benefit as well?

How does the damage from jagged spikes work? Is it a one time damage on trap activation, one time when an enemy first walks through the area, or a damage every second to enemies in the area?

I realize these are somewhat obscure questions so the info might not be available but if anyone has a clue pls let me know.
Reply Quote
Not sure about spiked trap, it probably has a duration that isn't mentioned, but I doubt the passive would be very useful for it anyway, you'll probably have them set off fairly quickly.

I'm assuming Bait the Trap will work before the trap is active and only on you (most party related things mention it), also if the trap is already sprung, there's no need to bait it, so the name would seem kind of silly if it only worked in a sprung trap. I'd think you'd drop it, shoot some people, they come to you, back up, drop another for the crit bonus as they walk through the first.

Jagged spikes I'm guessing is damage every second. My only reason for saying so is because 45% weapon damage is really low. But it could be because you could lay quite a few and have enemies walk through them all. But even using all your disc for about 230% damage seems way off.

So, naturally no real answers for two more weeks, but there are my educated guesses.
Reply Quote
05/01/2012 08:14 AMPosted by Fellspar
Does anyone know what the effect the custom engineering passive has on spiked trap? I don't see any duration on it except for sticky trap and if that's all it does it's pretty underwhelming.

Not in beta, don't know.

On caltrops - bait the trap do you get the crit buff for standing on an unactivated caltrops or is it only after it goes off that the buff is given? Also would the crit buff just be applied to the DH who put it there or could other party members get the benefit as well?

Not in beta, don't know.

How does the damage from jagged spikes work? Is it a one time damage on trap activation, one time when an enemy first walks through the area, or a damage every second to enemies in the area?

Not in beta, don't know.

Does that clear things up for you? :P
Reply Quote
Does anyone know what the effect the custom engineering passive has on spiked trap?

This one is difficult to decipher. The skill reads "lay a trap that arms after 1.2 seconds and triggers when an enemy approaches." The only element associated with time is how long it takes to arm, and custom engineering increases the duration of spike trap by 100%. Therefore, we are driven to the conclusion that custom engineering increases the arming time to 2.4 seconds, which makes absolutely zero sense.

Could it be that when the devs changed the skill from the previous version, which had an AoE over time, to the current one, which acts like a claymore, that they forgot about custom engineering?

It certainly will be interesting to find out how this is going to work.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 5/1/2012 10:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This one is difficult to decipher. The skill reads "lay a trap that arms after 1.2 seconds and triggers when an enemy approaches." The only element associated with time is how long it takes to arm, and custom engineering increases the duration of spike trap by 100%. Therefore, we are driven to the conclusion that custom engineering increases the arming time to 2.4 seconds, which makes absolutely zero sense.

Could it be that when the devs changed the skill from the previous version, which had an AoE over time, to the current one, which acts like a claymore, that they forgot about custom engineering?

It certainly will be interesting to find out how this is going to work.

My guess is that the trap will disappear after a certain amount of time of being armed if no one steps over it. Custom Engineering would double the time before it disappears in that case. Otherwise I have no idea what it might do. Could be that it is useless now and is only included in Custom Engineering because a previous iteration of the spell actually needed it. Who knows.
Reply Quote
It sure will be fun to test all this stuff out in two weeks.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 5/1/2012 11:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm sure I'll have fun when it works out exactly how I want it to or I'll have fun remaking my build when it doesn't. Either way I'm looking forward to the 15th.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]