Diablo® III

RMAH is to Keep Item Costs Down

RMAH in game will keep items cheap if you were to compare it to Diablo 3.

Everyone keeps bring up problems with items losing their value and farmers flooding the market with cheap merchandise.

The very idea of a In game RMAH means that there are more suppliers. Far more new suppliers than there is new people who are willing to buy now that it is "sanctioned"

if you increase Supply without changing the demand the same amount prices will drop.

RMAH lowers the price of items making farming even less profitable and makes diablo 3 kind of a game and not a source of income.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
this is exactly right. so SO many people think theyare gonna be able to 9-5 Diablo 3 like a boss and make above minimum wage. LOL

how sheltered are these people?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
What OP said QFT x 1 googol
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 06:38 AMPosted by Dominô
many people think theyare gonna be able to 9-5 Diablo 3 like a boss and make above minimum wage

I'm hoping to make at least enough to buy one pizza per week. (US$5)
for 40 hours of gameplay...maybe even 7 pizzas!

"Diablo3: Legend of the weekly pizza." expansion pack.
Reply Quote
edit: deleted post

I don't like contradicting dollar minimum 250 maximum.
Any item that you could actually make more than a dime by putting on RMAH will take you weeks to find. SURE sometimes you'll get lucky and find 2 in that time, but on average, look at jsp, anything worth anything takes months and months of MF, and with the dollar fee I doubt anyone will buy them for a dollar

BUT I COULD BE WRONG
seeing as LoL and tribes are doing fine with funny prices :D
maybe we really can sell an enigma or HoZ for 3 dollars

but I stand adamant that only the 1% will make anything worth mentioning by selling gold.
the 1% being the best AH flippers of WoW, Professional Gold Farmers who have toned their mind and body to 24/7 gold farming, and economics grads

I feel sorry for the 99% who think they're about to quit their job to play Diablo 3.
I think Blizzard should have found a more modest ad campaign to promote D3 with rather than the RMAH
Edited by Twirl#1131 on 5/2/2012 4:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
edit: deleted post

I don't like contradicting dollar minimum 250 maximum.
Any item that you could actually make more than a dime by putting on RMAH will take you weeks to find. SURE sometimes you'll get lucky and find 2 in that time, but on average, look at jsp, anything worth anything takes months and months of MF, and with the dollar fee I doubt anyone will buy them for a dollar

BUT I COULD BE WRONG
seeing as LoL and tribes are doing fine with funny prices :D
maybe we really can sell an enigma or HoZ for 3 dollars

but I stand adamant that only the 1% will make anything worth mentioning by selling gold.
the 1% being the best AH flippers of WoW, Professional Gold Farmers who have toned their mind and body to 24/7 gold farming, and economics grads

I feel sorry for the 99% who think they're about to quit their job to play Diablo 3.
I think Blizzard should have found a more modest ad campaign to promote D3 with rather than the RMAH

That's why we need to take what the 1%'ers earn and distribute it to everyone else! After all, it's only fair - why should they have all the good loot?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
i find it silly how people think it will be worth it to cash out 10 bucks a week .. or how people thin ..prices will be very low ..

with the 1 dollar fee it really make no sense to post items below 6-8 dollars ..

also if you want to progress in inferno you will have to buy gear off the rmah..or buy gold and buy it of the gah.. there will be consistant demand ..

and year i think i will only be worth cashing money out ..for about 1 half of 1 pecent on the active players ..
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
What math do you have that shows the greater number of people posting items will exceed all of the botting and (especially) duping that D2 was infested with in terms of total supply?
Reply Quote
RMAH in game will keep items cheap if you were to compare it to Diablo 3.

Everyone keeps bring up problems with items losing their value and farmers flooding the market with cheap merchandise.

The very idea of a In game RMAH means that there are more suppliers. Far more new suppliers than there is new people who are willing to buy now that it is "sanctioned"

if you increase Supply without changing the demand the same amount prices will drop.

RMAH lowers the price of items making farming even less profitable and makes diablo 3 kind of a game and not a source of income.

This also assumes that demand drives supply. The RMAH opens up the supply to a much larger audience than I assume D2 had due to it's ease of access. I don't think we'll be able to predict the demand generated by opening up the economy to everyone that wants to participate.

I think the bigger question is how does the size of the D3 market compare to the size of the D2 black market? By black market I mean 3rd party sites.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
You should see what people make a week on EQ2 Station Exchange before you laugh to hard....
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
The demand will likely increase as well because it is sanctioned.
Reply Quote
Well I am guessing every item will sell for more than $1
Reply Quote
88 Undead Warlock
If you could only earn a 25 cents an hour, an unemployed person could feed themselves on that.

If you could earn a dollar an hour, an unemployed person can pay rent on that in some places.

Farming can be very popular even if it pays below minimum wage.

If you can earn $2 an hour an entire family can support itself on that in some places.

(all that assumes a 14 hour day farming. Assumes two spouses farming 14 hours each and kids helping on weekends for the last example.)
Edited by Midnight#1389 on 5/7/2012 8:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
If you could only earn a 25 cents an hour, an unemployed person could feed themselves on that.

If you could earn a dollar an hour, an unemployed person can pay rent on that in some places.

Farming can be very popular even if it pays below minimum wage.

If you can earn $2 an hour an entire family can support itself on that in some places.

(all that assumes a 14 hour day farming. Assumes two spouses farming 14 hours each and kids helping on weekends for the last example.)

...What place exactly are you speaking of, if you even know curious? The kind of place your talking about would probably not even have internet or possibility even a power source to plug into. The place you speak of unfortunately no one there is fortunate enough like some of us americans to be able to even afford a computer & D3.

On a similar subject, you actually think farming companies/businesses are going to take up Diablo 3 and pay one of there sweat shop workers to farm 14 hours of Diablo 3?

Ha .. No, and I am not trying to be rude, I am just telling you what is not probable in anyway.
Edited by SaibotMK#1578 on 5/7/2012 9:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Undead Warlock

...What place exactly are you speaking of, if you even know curious? The kind of place your talking about would probably not even have internet or possibility even a power source to plug into. The place you speak of unfortunately no one there is fortunate enough like some of us americans to be able to even afford a computer & D3.

On a similar subject, you actually think farming companies/businesses are going to take up Diablo 3 and pay one of there sweat shop workers to farm 14 hours of Diablo 3?

Ha .. No, and I am not trying to be rude, I am just telling you what is not probable in anyway.

There are plenty of people that spend less than $3.50 a day on food. I used to and could again if unemployed.

There are plenty of places where $420 is less than someone's rent or more commonly their share of the rent with roommates

The number I laid out for a family about equals the wage a single earner gets from a 40 hour week on minimum wage (which many families successfully live on). I know couples that would trade being together for 14 hours clicking a mouse over having one of them mopping a McDonalds floor 40 hours a week.

And I'm not describing d3 sweatshops, I'm describing a possible cottage industry. And god bless them if they can earn GOOD money. There's a reason so many games forbade selling on e-bay.

The only question is: will there be buyers to make any of those numbers happen? Considering some people made $2,000 a month selling d2 items in a black market I'm thinking it could happen.

I play Eve-online where a legit mechanism exists to convert real money to the game currency. A LOT of real money gets spent on currency given the PLEX sales I see on the auction house.
Edited by Midnight#1389 on 5/8/2012 8:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
people spend a lot of money on stuff they want in games especially when it comes to end game gear .. i know i have spent quite a bit when i had it to spend ..

companies sell a lot more goods when there is a return policy .. the rmah is almost like a return policy ..

if i spend ten bucks for this item and replace it in 2 weeks i can probably sell it back for that ..

buying gold is sanction.. useing real money to buy the best gear is sanctioned ..

and there will probably be a million people using the rmah.. so
Reply Quote
88 Undead Warlock

if i spend ten bucks for this item and replace it in 2 weeks i can probably sell it back for that ..

good point.
Edited by Midnight#1389 on 5/8/2012 7:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote

with the 1 dollar fee it really make no sense to post items below 6-8 dollars ..

also if you want to progress in inferno you will have to buy gear off the rmah..or buy gold and buy it of the gah.. there will be consistant demand ..

and year i think i will only be worth cashing money out ..for about 1 half of 1 pecent on the active players ..

While the above is mostly true, it would still technically make sense to post an item for 1.01$ if you are sure to sell it. The 6-8 $ range you mention is totally arbitrary and is what you require, markets are made effecient by supply meeting demand and as long as a profit can be made prices will drop as supply increases (with constant demand).

Another interesting misconception is the flood of supply, Blizz will only let you list 10 items at a time. Early on the RMAH will be flooded with low priced items but will count very few very good items leading to higher prices for these rare items. I'd say the first week to a month will see some pretty suprising transactions as people obsessed with getting ahead will spend money on low supply high quality items (hint: Wait a bit, prices will get cheaper!). As more people get to farm the 10 items allowed will increase in value and lower quality items will be sold in the GMAH.(like commos)

If inferno is as hard as Blizz makes it sound I think pro players will be able to make some decent money farming end game items but it will go in decreasing fashion as more people gain the skills required to post up good items. (As a side note, don't forget players who stream inferno should get some pretty good viewership numbers and that will most likely be more lucrative than RMAH!!)

Farming good items in D3 will not only depend on the time you put in like mining gold in WoW. Once again, if Inferno is made hard enough skill will actually be more important than time spent farming! To those who realise that it would take them months to get a shot at a particular item they might be ready to pay really good money for it.

Final statement:
Gamers' wealth is somewhat inversely proportional to their skill as people with high paying jobs don't have as much time to play! High wealth + low skill = high RMAH prices
Edited by XBankerX#1641 on 5/8/2012 7:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]