Diablo® III

Book of Cain

73 Goblin Mage
I've never played a Diablo game before, but since I own D2 and will be getting D3 free I want to know what it's all about. I don't really want to buy the first game, and was wondering how good the Book of Cain is in terms of telling the lore of the story.
Reply Quote
It's great.
It tells the entire story, starting even before Diablo I.

Edit: I disagree with the comment above.
I enjoyed reading it a lot, and I wasn't new to the game. I read all the lore I could find before I got my hands on the book.
Edited by tuco#2218 on 4/27/2012 11:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
73 Goblin Mage
It's great.

So I won't be missing much besides bad graphics and slow movement speeds? Meaning it tells pretty much the whole story of Diablo 1?
Reply Quote
73 Goblin Mage
It's really bad.
I mean it does the job of giving you the lore. But writing style wise... You are better off reading a wiki page.

Previewed a few pages on Amazon. Writing is fine, I don't see the problem.
Reply Quote
It's a good book for a gamer, Toaststore is just being a snob.

It will tell you everything you need to know about the story before, during, and after the games as well as tell you who all the big players are (Angels and demons).

Not to mention it looks cool and comes with a decent looking map haha.
Reply Quote
Definitely not.
Reply Quote
73 Goblin Mage
It's a good book for a gamer, Toaststore is just being a snob.

It will tell you everything you need to know about the story before, during, and after the games as well as tell you who all the big players are (Angels and demons).

Not to mention it looks cool and comes with a decent looking map haha.

Thanks, I really appreciate you letting me know.

04/27/2012 11:45 AMPosted by tuco
Definitely not.

Care to give a reason why?
Reply Quote
It's great.

So I won't be missing much besides bad graphics and slow movement speeds? Meaning it tells pretty much the whole story of Diablo 1?

It actually gives you the retconned version of D1's story...since at the time D1 was released...well there wasn't a lot in the way of the lore of sanctuary or epic story arcs in the mind of devs, I imagine.
Reply Quote
The book is awesome. I've read through it 2 or 3 times so far. Amazon has it for $21 which is a steal.

The book is also beautifully made. Nice thick paper and tons of sketches inside.
Reply Quote
What you won't get is all the character development and side quests and interesting little things from Diablo 1. Nor will it actually give you the Diablo 1 lore. What it WILL give you is the retconned lore to make the whole thing work with the upcoming game, which is plenty close enough, really. If you read it in Cain's voice, you get almost the whole effect.
Reply Quote
You should still get the games if your computer can handle it. Great games.
Reply Quote
The book of Cain is not a good stand alone imop. It talks about the creation of heavens and hells all the way to present in about 160 pages. If you really want to know what's going you'll have to read some outside content for d1 as they never released a book about the events in Tristram. I recently read all the books from sin wars to the book of Cain. TBOC was a little disappointing even from a journal stand point I would have expected Cain to write more then ~160 pages over his time to leave to Leah.
Reply Quote
It's a good book in itself. And if you want to know the retconned lore then it's a must read. However it pales in comparison to the short stories in the Diablo 2 manual. Those were amazing.
Reply Quote
The Book of Cain is what The Silmarillion would have been like if Stephanie Meyer had written it, except in the Diablo setting. That said, it does do a good job of catching you up. If you want to get caught up on Lore, and that's it, though? Just watch the Lore Panel from BlizzCon 2011. It leaves very little out when compared to the Book of Cain.
Reply Quote
04/27/2012 12:03 PMPosted by ToiletDuck
The book of Cain is not a good stand alone imop. It talks about the creation of heavens and hells all the way to present in about 160 pages. If you really want to know what's going you'll have to read some outside content for d1 as they never released a book about the events in Tristram. I recently read all the books from sin wars to the book of Cain. TBOC was a little disappointing even from a journal stand point I would have expected Cain to write more then ~160 pages over his time to leave to Leah.

Actually it does cover what happens in D1. Maybe you should read it again. Also the actual journal he left Leah in the "Game" (You know, not real life) is obviously longer than 160 pages.
Reply Quote
Read the Sin War Trilogy and the Book of Cain.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
I really enjoyed the book, and I haven't bought many lore/game books in my time. More of a classic reader myself.

But overall it is a very beautiful book in terms of quality and worth the read if you are interested in Diablo.

I got mine from Barnes and Noble for $21 cause I have like 50582058 gift cards for there. I believe it is cheaper on Amazon.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
The Book of Cain is an excellent primer. It's like an abridged reference guide to the entire setting. It covers the major locations, historical events, notable myths, major characters, a run down of the events of the last two games, and proffers some clarifications on points of confusion from previous lore. All in all it ties together a very useful guide of information for any player wishing to get in to the franchise, as well as for veteran players returning after years of absence.

It also helps set the foundation for the lore that we'll explore in Diablo III itself, establishing the details of what's been happening during the 20 year interlude, introducing Leah and her backstory, etc...

The book is also exquisitely crafted. It's written from the point of view of being an in-game item, and to follow along with that concept the book itself has been given an old fantasy journal appearance with a beautiful embossed hard cover and pages that have been very carefully torn along the edges to look like an worn tome. And the artwork is superb.

If you're a lore junkie I can not recommend this book enough.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]