Diablo® III

Book of Cain

73 Goblin Mage
Thanks for all the responses. I just want to know what Diablo is all about, as well as some of what happened in the first game. From your responses it seems the Book of Cain has that. Going to buy it tomorrow!
Reply Quote
I was under the impression that it's more like a retcon bible, than telling it like it happened in the games (D1 and 2).
Reply Quote
04/27/2012 12:16 PMPosted by Khrono
The book of Cain is not a good stand alone imop. It talks about the creation of heavens and hells all the way to present in about 160 pages. If you really want to know what's going you'll have to read some outside content for d1 as they never released a book about the events in Tristram. I recently read all the books from sin wars to the book of Cain. TBOC was a little disappointing even from a journal stand point I would have expected Cain to write more then ~160 pages over his time to leave to Leah.

Actually it does cover what happens in D1. Maybe you should read it again. Also the actual journal he left Leah in the "Game" (You know, not real life) is obviously longer than 160 pages.

But I am not able to read said book now am I? This i am disapointed in a retail book of cain written as a jurnal to liah that appears more like a small section of it. And your correct he does do a decent job with the summarization of Trist. I failed to recall that section.
Reply Quote
The writing is fine if you were in grade 6. I know it's a made believe univsere but you sort of expect a game that uses sword and shield and magic to not use modern phrases like "hot on the heel"
Part of the book kinda just trails off with no effort. Our Heros arrive at _____. Next paragraph: after hours of fighting they finally defeat _____.
Like I said if you didn't play diablo before it will tell you exactly what happened with poor writings. No harm getting it, my friend preordered it from the pirate bay with no shipping fee.

It's really tough to take your literary criticisms seriously when you can't even form proper sentences or proofread what you post.
Reply Quote
The Book of Cain is well conceived, well written, and very immersive. I very much enjoyed the stories & writing style.
Reply Quote
Book of Cain covers the basics you'll need to catch up. The writing is average. It's certainly not terrible, but it could have been much better. Clunky wording at times, and some missed opportunities on style.
Reply Quote
04/27/2012 01:08 PMPosted by SpoonyKezume
Book of Cain covers the basics you'll need to catch up. The writing is average. It's certainly not terrible, but it could have been much better. Clunky wording at times, and some missed opportunities on style.

It's also terribly cheesy, and you kinda just have to read the whole thing in Deckard Cain's voice in your head (which, for some, is rather irritating :D).

My overall BOC impressions: meh/10
Reply Quote
I read the "Book" of Cain when i heard about it, i just used BitTorrent to download a PDF. It's not the best writing i've come across, but had some cool stories here and there. I'd get it and read the first few chapters. The 1st couple are so epic. Anu and the Dragon, awesome story.

Also if you havent read the short stories:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/
At the bottom of that page, they're pretty awesome. Give a great feel for each characters background.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Book of Cain is a must-have if you want to get a succinct, yet very flavorful overview of the Diablo universe. It takes you from the dawn of time to the creation of Sanctuary, including breakdowns of the hierarchy of angels and demons.

It's a great bit of story too, as it's from Deckard Cain's point-of-view, meaning the lore isn't exactly laid out in an omniscient way. It's documented as best as possible by a character within the lore.

If you like Diablo artwork, this book is visually stunning as well. Check out BlizzPlanet's review (with pictures): http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/diablo-iii-book-of-cain-8-page-preview
Reply Quote
I guess part of my problem with it is id like more stories. They called it the book of Cain and why technically it is a book it is feels very short. It's written journalisticly and did I mention it feels short like they left stuff out?
Reply Quote
I also bought the Book of Cain and really enjoyed it.
The art in it is really good and the information that it provides you about the Diablo universe makes it the most comprehensive sourcebook you can get (for D3).
Reply Quote
It's definitely worth the $ and is a great book. I literally cannot wait to see how the story unfolds on May 15!
Reply Quote
I got the book as well, it was a very entertaining read, but you can finish it in an hour.
Reply Quote
73 Goblin Mage
Maybe I should edit my question. What I want to know is if I will know enough about the game that when I play Diablo 2 for the first time I know what the hell is going on. With some background knowledge of the first game.
Edited by Valrix on 4/27/2012 1:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
73 Goblin Mage
Book of Cain is a must-have if you want to get a succinct, yet very flavorful overview of the Diablo universe. It takes you from the dawn of time to the creation of Sanctuary, including breakdowns of the hierarchy of angels and demons.

It's a great bit of story too, as it's from Deckard Cain's point-of-view, meaning the lore isn't exactly laid out in an omniscient way. It's documented as best as possible by a character within the lore.

If you like Diablo artwork, this book is visually stunning as well. Check out BlizzPlanet's review (with pictures): http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/diablo-iii-book-of-cain-8-page-preview

Thanks for the link Zarhym!
Reply Quote
04/27/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Valrix
Maybe I should edit my question. What I want to know is if I will know enough about the game that when I play Diablo 2 for the first time I know what the hell is going on. With some background knowledge of the first game.

If you're so worried just read the wiki, it sums up the first games quite nicely in the story section and it doesn't take long to read.

Look I'll even include links to make it even easier for you:
Diablo 1 - http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Diablo_(game)
Diablo 2 (story section is down a bit on the page) http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Diablo_II
Reply Quote

I gotta recommend the sin-war trilogy. We still have like 18 days till the D3 launch and the book of cain is WAY to small to fill the void.

You can find all of the above mentioned literature off "thepiratebay" (google it).

Your welcome Diablo fan's and ha-ha Blizzard's attempt @ marketing here.

Huh? What am I doing down here?
Oh!
I'm just ducking down to avoid your ban hammer
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]