Diablo® III

Book of Cain

6 Draenei Shaman
Book of Cain is a must-have if you want to get a succinct, yet very flavorful overview of the Diablo universe. It takes you from the dawn of time to the creation of Sanctuary, including breakdowns of the hierarchy of angels and demons.

It's a great bit of story too, as it's from Deckard Cain's point-of-view, meaning the lore isn't exactly laid out in an omniscient way. It's documented as best as possible by a character within the lore.

If you like Diablo artwork, this book is visually stunning as well. Check out BlizzPlanet's review (with pictures): http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/diablo-iii-book-of-cain-8-page-preview

I gotta recommend the sin-war trilogy. We still have like 18 days till the D3 launch and the book of cain is WAY to small to fill the void.

You can find all of the above mentioned literature off "thepiratebay" (google it).

Your welcome Diablo fan's and ha-ha Blizzard's attempt @ marketing here.

You represent everything that is wrong with the gaming community and humanity as a whole.

Thank you for making us all look bad.
Reply Quote
Book of Cain is a must-have if you want to get a succinct, yet very flavorful overview of the Diablo universe. It takes you from the dawn of time to the creation of Sanctuary, including breakdowns of the hierarchy of angels and demons.

It's a great bit of story too, as it's from Deckard Cain's point-of-view, meaning the lore isn't exactly laid out in an omniscient way. It's documented as best as possible by a character within the lore.

If you like Diablo artwork, this book is visually stunning as well. Check out BlizzPlanet's review (with pictures): http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/diablo-iii-book-of-cain-8-page-preview

I gotta recommend the sin-war trilogy. We still have like 18 days till the D3 launch and the book of cain is WAY to small to fill the void.

You can find all of the above mentioned literature off "thepiratebay" (google it).

Your welcome Diablo fan's and ha-ha Blizzard's attempt @ marketing here.

Did you really just plug The Pirate Bay on Blizzard's forums? lol.
Reply Quote

Do you plan on making a digital version of the book?
Reply Quote

Mine arrived yesterday. I'm halfway through, and I'll admit I was really impressed with the section on the Angiris Council. The amount of (what I assume is) foreshadowing for events in D3 is incredible, and has only served to make me more excited to find out how the actual story of D3 progresses (even if it's not along the lines of what I imagine).

Seriously; got 25 bucks laying around? Go buy the Book of Cain. Just get your order over 25$, nab the free shipping, and enjoy trying to stretch the book as far as it'll go to cover those long days between May 1st and May 15th.

You represent everything that is wrong with the gaming community and humanity as a whole.

Thank you for making us all look bad.

Seriously, that guy was a total jerk. To play Blizzard's games, frequent Blizzard's forums, and then insist that people pirate books; BOOKS, of all things. What a douchenozzle. Books are sacred... I went and found the Book of Cain online, scrolled through it without reading anything to get a feel for the artwork, and immediately bought it.

There is no substitute for dead trees. Pages are not optional. E-readers are a utility for reading, but not a replacement for books. Just IMO, though.
Edited by Alsier#1102 on 4/27/2012 2:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/27/2012 12:43 PMPosted by Toaststore
The writing is fine if you were in grade 6. I know it's a made believe univsere but you sort of expect a game that uses sword and shield and magic to not use modern phrases like "hot on the heel"

Educate yourself! Or I can do it for you, whatever.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/hot-on-the-heels.html

Though the earliest cited occurrence of the phrase is mid 1800s, the use of "hot" in a hunting context is traceable even further back, to the mid 1600s at least. Hardly modern.
Edited by Chalkdust#1663 on 4/27/2012 2:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/27/2012 12:43 PMPosted by Toaststore
I know it's a made believe univsere but you sort of expect a game that uses sword and shield and magic to not use modern phrases like "hot on the heel"

You, good, sir, have a time machine. That phrase dates back at LEAST as far as the mid 1600's.

Well, you either have a time machine or you're uneducated and unfamiliar with Google.

I'm gonna go with the latter; it doesn't violate causality.

04/27/2012 02:42 PMPosted by Miroulen
The writing is fine if you were in grade 6. I know it's a made believe univsere but you sort of expect a game that uses sword and shield and magic to not use modern phrases like "hot on the heel"

Educate yourself! Or I can do it for you, whatever.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/hot-on-the-heels.html

Though the earliest cited occurrence of the phrase is mid 1800s, the use of "hot" in a hunting context is traceable even further back, to the mid 1600s. Hardly modern.

I've been beaten to it!
Edited by Alsier#1102 on 4/27/2012 2:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i downloaded the PDF, great read, lookin forward to buyin it when i get the money
Reply Quote
+1 on the book. I really enjoyed it. I played through D2 and LOD again 8 months ago to refresh myself on the story, but there's so many details filled in with the book. It's great, provides lots of backstory on D3 that you didn't get from D2 also.
Reply Quote
I would really like to read that book ...
there s only 1 major problem tho....
IT S NOT AVALABLE anywhere i shop, and by the time it gets shipped at my home D3 will be out.
So unless there s a digital copy available SOON* (not blizzard's soon but real world soon...)
I will not have the time to read that book because ill be too busy killing demons...
Reply Quote
04/27/2012 04:33 PMPosted by Kappa
Before I decide to read the Book of Cain I would like to know; are there any spoilers in it?

No it is about pre diablo 1, and d1/2 not giving away anything about diablo 3.
Reply Quote
04/27/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Valrix
Maybe I should edit my question. What I want to know is if I will know enough about the game that when I play Diablo 2 for the first time I know what the hell is going on. With some background knowledge of the first game.

To be honest, there isn't MUCH story-telling going on in Diablo 1. In essence, the story involves a 'haunted' cathedral from which demons are sprouting. You, the player, venture into the cathedral to find out what is plaguing it only to find out it is Diablo, the Lord of Terror. Your player ends up slaying the demon, only to find out you only killed the human host. Your character takes the soulstone that survives Diablo's destruction and jam it into your own forehead to try to contain the demon. And that's where Diablo 2 picks up.

Honestly, D2 does a lot more story telling than Diablo 1 ever did. And any sub-plots (like who King Leoric is and whatnot) are covered very well in the Book of Cain and even in Act 1 Diablo 3, so don't sweat it too much. Play and enjoy D2! :)
Reply Quote

I know employees are often times (if not mandatory) to 'big-up' - if you will - their own products to increase their own revenue, etc, etc.

Well. I happen to be a customer. Who has 'consumed' one of these 'Book of Cain' "books". I have this to say:

**ahem**

This book is not a book. This book is a work of art. Not only literally is it a good read, but the illustrations are fantastic, the hardcover AMAZING!(!111!11onee!!), the frayed edges authentic and the Deckard Cain Deckard Cainy. In all seriousness though, this book is exactly what you need to get you not only caught up on whats going on/whats BEEN going on in the Diablo universe, but it EXPANDS on series which is always very welcome to any nerd buffs (raise your hand! I know you're one of us!).
Edited by Stoic#1415 on 4/27/2012 5:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's really bad.
I mean it does the job of giving you the lore. But writing style wise... You are better off reading a wiki page.

I actually have to agree with this guy. The book may offer you some lore, but if you're looking for a book that is well-written then this is not the book for you.

I personally am not a fan of a book that has literature that is subpar.
Reply Quote
73 Goblin Mage
04/27/2012 05:01 PMPosted by Abeer
Maybe I should edit my question. What I want to know is if I will know enough about the game that when I play Diablo 2 for the first time I know what the hell is going on. With some background knowledge of the first game.

To be honest, there isn't MUCH story-telling going on in Diablo 1. In essence, the story involves a 'haunted' cathedral from which demons are sprouting. You, the player, venture into the cathedral to find out what is plaguing it only to find out it is Diablo, the Lord of Terror. Your player ends up slaying the demon, only to find out you only killed the human host. Your character takes the soulstone that survives Diablo's destruction and jam it into your own forehead to try to contain the demon. And that's where Diablo 2 picks up.

Honestly, D2 does a lot more story telling than Diablo 1 ever did. And any sub-plots (like who King Leoric is and whatnot) are covered very well in the Book of Cain and even in Act 1 Diablo 3, so don't sweat it too much. Play and enjoy D2! :)

Thanks a lot for explaining that. I just don't want to miss any lore (missing a game doesn't bother me too much).
Reply Quote
04/27/2012 01:23 PMPosted by Zarhym

Hopefully it's not the only way to get that information.

I hate it when games force you to read outside material in order to understand the story.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]