Diablo® III

Just how old is Cain

Cain was old in D1 and that was a long time ago in the Diablo universe but how old is he really now?
Reply Quote
You know when the first cave-man crawled out into the sunlight? Ya, way before that.
Reply Quote
04/29/2012 02:17 PMPosted by Hellfell
Cain is ageless. He can't die naturally unless somebody kills him.

I bet when he was trying for immortality he didn't realize that the entirety of it would be spent as a 90 year old man. That's unfortunate for Cain.
Reply Quote
04/29/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Ignus
I bet when he was trying for immortality he didn't realize that the entirety of it would be spent as a 90 year old man. That's unfortunate for Cain.

Good one. But seriously,the happenings of diablo 1 is approximately equal to that of Leah's age. We can assume she is in her 20's because we know for a fact that the destruction of the worldstone was 20 years ago.
Reply Quote
The Horadrim are blessed with unnatural long life. As granted my Tyrael.
Edited by NoxeOut#1669 on 4/29/2012 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Cain was probably 60ish in Diablo 1, so he's got to be closing in on 90-100 now.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
04/29/2012 02:40 PMPosted by theones2k
He's 10,000 years old

That's over nine-thousaaaaaaaaand!
Reply Quote
Cain is Belial
Reply Quote
Come on folks.. If you can't see the parallels.. Cain = Gandalf. The first Diablo came at a time where games still had very little to no thought out story. It's clear that much of the lore around Diablo was LotR inspired.

Cain is like Gandalf. He's not mortal.

Gandalf is equivalent to an angel in Diablo. Cain is equivalent to the Dunedain in LotR.
Reply Quote
Diablo was released on Dec 31st 1996, assuming a development time frame of about 2 years, I'd say ~17 years old.

Edit: If we're talking in-game years, do we even know if Sanctuary orbits a star, or experiences seasons? Perhaps 1 Sanctuary year is equivalent to 6 Earth years. We should probably standardize our times...
Edited by Phlaw#1216 on 4/29/2012 3:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Diablo was released on Dec 31st 1996, assuming a development time frame of about 2 years, I'd say ~17 years old.

Edit: If we're talking in-game years, do we even know if Sanctuary orbits a star, or experiences seasons? Perhaps 1 Sanctuary year is equivalent to 6 Earth years. We should probably standardize our times...

we do know it orbits a star, because in D2 they specifically mention THE (singular) sun when it goes dark. im fairly confidant that a sanctuary year is about the same length of time as an Earth year, based off of the novels, but i dont have any exact data to back that up.
Reply Quote
From what I recall, there is a gap of roughly 3 years before Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. That, I may be wrong on. It's a bit fuzzy.

However, there -is- a gap of roughly 2 decades between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3. Give or take, We can assume Cain was Elderly in Diablo, Elderly in Diablo 2, and now Ancient in Diablo 3. There's much speculation he'll end up biting the dust in Diablo 3, though none of us -really- want to see the old man go. Alas, without some sort of higher intervention, Cain can't continue living for much longer.
Reply Quote

This ^
Reply Quote
D2 starts days after the events of D1. Between D2 and D3 20 years oassed.
So if cain was 60 on D1, he was 60 on D2 and 80 on D3.
If he was 80 in D1, he will be 100 in D3, wich is still reasonable.
Reply Quote
91 Human Mage
He was called Cain the Elder but we're probably just talking something between 50 and 60.

So in Diablo 3 he'd be about between 70 and 80.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]