Diablo® III

Strafe Question

First, I'm not sure if this is a new skill video of strafe (haven't seen one on the D3 site before but I could be wrong). Link to video is below:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/active/strafe

My questions now after seeing this video are:

1) In the tool-tip it says "Shoot at random nearby enemies". Does that mean if there is only ONE enemy near you that it will continuously shoot at that one enemy the same amount of times as if it were a group (lets say around eight enemies)?

Basically, if it shoots at the group of eight enemies about 16 times (meaning that I fully expect it to not hit only one enemy out of the group of eight, 16 times, but instead hit all eight enemies literally at random with a possibility 16 attacks) would it also last that same amount of time with just one enemy?

2.) Is this a channeled spell like rapid fire where all i need to do is hit the spell once and it will continuously attack without a "break period of animation" when hatred is consumed?

3.) Will it be as controllable like whirlwind is for a barbarian when using this spell (depending on the outcome of question 2)?

I never really gave this a thought on many of my possible build, but after seeing this video and the fluid motion that it looks like it has, I'm really thinking of making this as one of my PvE builds and almost a certain spell in possible PvP builds.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
First, I'm not sure if this is a new skill video of strafe (haven't seen one on the D3 site before but I could be wrong). Link to video is below:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/active/strafe

My questions now after seeing this video are:

1) In the tool-tip it says "Shoot at random nearby enemies". Does that mean if there is only ONE enemy near you that it will continuously shoot at that one enemy the same amount of times as if it were a group (lets say around eight enemies)?

Basically, if it shoots at the group of eight enemies about 16 times (meaning that I fully expect it to not hit only one enemy out of the group of eight, 16 times, but instead hit all eight enemies literally at random with a possibility 16 attacks) would it also last that same amount of time with just one enemy?

2.) Is this a channeled spell like rapid fire where all i need to do is hit the spell once and it will continuously attack without a "break period of animation" when hatred is consumed?

3.) Will it be as controllable like whirlwind is for a barbarian when using this spell (depending on the outcome of question 2)?

I never really gave this a thought on many of my possible build, but after seeing this video and the fluid motion that it looks like it has, I'm really thinking of making this as one of my PvE builds and almost a certain spell in possible PvP builds.

strafe was usable in beta for a limited time
based on that

1) yes
2) yes (as long as you hold the button)
3) yes

it is exactly like WW with a barb, but range like frozen orb on the Sorc, it will however attack monsters first, and ignore vessels/jars unless no enemies are in range.. it is an auto attacking RF while moving

it is approx x3.5 weapon speed, but very hatred expensive.
it is not a focus skill, at all, it is horrible for DPS if you want to take out a cluster
it is a distributor of damage + move utility that saves time
Edited by zoid#1554 on 5/1/2012 5:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah.
Reply Quote

Yes. It shoots at a certain rate and it just picks 1 nearby enemy to shoot at. If there are more enemies it just means that it's probably going to be spreading its damage around rather than concentrating it in one location.

05/01/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Tumor

As long as you hold the button down just like Rapid Fire you'll continue to move around shooting until your hatred is exhausted.

05/01/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Tumor

Yes, you have full control of your movement while you use Strafe. You just can't control which enemy it hits (apart from getting out of range of some).

EDIT: Damn you Korba. Beat me to it.
Edited by Threllen#1475 on 5/1/2012 5:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Korba and LtShaft for the responses.

Still might be something viable to use when possibly wanting to farm certain areas and being able to attack and not lose walking speed I guess. Although I still think it might be a pretty good spell for PvP.
Edited by Svndeadlysns#1371 on 5/1/2012 5:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
farm certain areas and being able to attack and not lose walking speed.

that ^

once your DPS is multiple times the life of the monsters you are farming using bola, RF or Hunger is actually a waste of time

strafe = magic
add to it the ability to rune it for more mobilty = win

abilities/skills are not just about killing monsters that are hard, it is also about mopping the floor with the puny ones ASAP
Edited by zoid#1554 on 5/1/2012 5:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
strafe is pretty amazing.. its very similar to vault in some ways..

for instance.. caltrops -> vault -> continue doing whatever

vs

caltrops -> strafe -> continue doing whatever

in the first case you have an additional dps hole of however long vault takes to animate.. but in the second you're back to doing damage and increasing the distance between you and monsters right after caltrops goes down.. although vault does have the damage dealing runes to reduce this gap in damage
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]