Diablo® III

Suppression Fire for main discipline regen?

As many of you know, Multishot has a rune called Suppression Fire that generates discipline for each enemy hit.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/active/multishot

If your build is heavy on discipline, yet you don't have little or no discipline generating skills, such as Preparation, Night Stalker, Perfectionist, etc, do you think Suppression Fire can do the job to support the heavy discipline usage?
If you use it strategically, only when there are big packs, I think you can certainly make up for not having Preparation.

The only downside of this may be that it'll not scale well with gears. You can only hit so many enemies in most cases, while Preparation will give you more and more discipline since your gears have more discipline as your gear gets better.

What do you think?
Edited by Atonement#1113 on 5/1/2012 8:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think suppression fire is ok at regening disc but its cost makes it touchy. I have it in some builds but use it with preparation runed with punishment. It works best as a hatred generator.

Suppression fire with punishment will destroy large groups.
Edited by HellCrush#1644 on 5/1/2012 8:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
heres a thread with a build i made that utilities suppression fire and shows that math behind how it could possible lead to infinite smokescreen. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4796050233
Edited by Alucard#1131 on 5/1/2012 10:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
^That entire example was contingent on having constant uptime and hitting at least 5 enemies with each multishot. It's going to fall flat on its face against a champion mob where your first couple multishots kill the weaker enemies or against bosses where there are no weaker enemies in the first place. Also if you stop attacking with Multishot for a split second or have to run away before you can generate with Grenades, your math is all thrown off. It's good in a theoretical vacuum, but let's see it in practice.
Reply Quote
i didnt say i knew it was going to work, i said it had potential. with faster attack speeds its also possible with 4 mob packs +. its not for bosses. i plan to use competently different builds for bosses vs non bosses. why does everyone assume that people arnt going to change builds when they reach a boss fight. and how im hoping it would work against elites is that i am able to get rid of all the other targets while in my smokescreen rotation which allows me to take on the elite solo making him much easier. rain of vengeance isnt really needed in the build as large groups create my smokescreen rotation with gives me damage immunity. so as i mentioned after testing the build i may replace it with something else like impale with impact. the build still has everything it needs then. ss to break cc and avoid damage. grenades for hatred regen and impale for single target. i know its all very theoretical but is has potential.

and that math is for the potential of infinite smokescreen built into the build. if im at a range i dont plan on using smokescreen for !@#$s and giggles. and if i only keep ss up 50% of the time thats still alot of free time to mow down enemies without taking damage.
Edited by Alucard#1131 on 5/2/2012 9:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i didnt say i knew it was going to work, i said it had potential. with faster attack speeds its also possible with 4 mob packs +. its not for bosses. i plan to use competently different builds for bosses vs non bosses. why does everyone assume that people arnt going to change builds when they reach a boss fight. and how im hoping it would work against elites is that i am able to get rid of all the other targets while in my smokescreen rotation which allows me to take on the elite solo making him much easier. rain of vengeance isnt really needed in the build as large groups create my smokescreen rotation with gives me damage immunity. so as i mentioned after testing the build i may replace it with something else like impale with impact. the build still has everything it needs then. ss to break cc and avoid damage. grenades for hatred regen and impale for single target. i know its all very theoretical but is has potential.

and that math is for the potential of infinite smokescreen built into the build. if im at a range i dont plan on using smokescreen for !@#$s and giggles. and if i only keep ss up 50% of the time thats still alot of free time to mow down enemies without taking damage.

Most people will want to keep their Nephalem Valor buff stacked up for MF. By switching specs before bosses, you lose all stacks.
Reply Quote
ah i had totally forgot about that... that does throw a wrench in my plans lol. well as i mentioned my build is very theoretical and i may then adjust it to see if i can keep the SS up time (to a point) and make it more effective towards bosses(and it very well could be impossible to actually use properly and end up scrapping it all together). they havnt released enough information of the Nephalem Valor buff atm. in their posts they mentioned that they may have a cd so if they have already worn off it wouldnt make a difference. will have to wait and see.
Edited by Alucard#1131 on 5/2/2012 12:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Idk their posts are pretty clear about what the Nephalem Valour buff does, they just don't give out specifics about the exact MF/GF increase they had in mind. Basically as long as kill a rare/champion/boss, you get the Valour buff increasing your MF and GF until you switch any ability or rune.
Reply Quote
they also said their might be a timer and if you haven't killed another one in that amount of time it will ware off. and whether or not it even stacks more than once. if it doesnt stack more then once i could just search for 1 elite before i traveled to the boss with my boss build. are there any threads more recent then this on it?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4241234476

The exact amount of magic find and gold find provided by the buff is still being reviewed, as is the amount of extra loot you get from a boss while the buff is active. We’re also playing around with whether or not the buff stacks, what the duration should be, and whether or not it should persist through death. We want to make sure the buff is strong enough to make staying in your current game more rewarding than creating a new game. At the same time, if the buff is too strong, it risks making shorter play sessions feel not worthwhile.

Edited by Alucard#1131 on 5/2/2012 4:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
That's the most recent one I know of.

You certainly could, but remember Blizzard's philosophy: unlearn everything you have been taught by WoW. The best drops can drop from anywhere, not just bosses. They even said it's more efficient to go around killing random mobs than farming bosses. The items you can get from rares/champions, and the rate you can get them at, outweigh simply leaving a game and logging back in over and over to farm a boss. Once you get to inferno at 60 you really want to take your time finding every special mob you can so, regardless if it stacks or not, the buff will always be on you. Now if the effect doesn't stack and you know you're at the last rare pack before a boss, you could always switch out your spec losing the buff for that mob but getting it back for the boss if you really wanted.
Reply Quote
didnt mean to delete that ... lol. yea i dont plan to farm bosses, but i will probably change my build whenever i do come to a boss in inferno based on what i think will work best for that 1 boss. even if a lose the buff in the process. if inferno is as hard as they say its going to be.
Edited by Alucard#1131 on 5/2/2012 4:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]