Diablo® III

Rapid Fire-Bombardment Build

I jaw dropped the first time I used rapid fire against the Skeleton King in open beta. This must be one of the most efficient single target DPS in game, if not one of the coolest. And then there's this rune called Bombardment. Judging from the vids about Grenades plus hands on experience with RF, I can't imaging how fun it's going to be when it comes into play, not to mention it's raw damage output-- and that's all stylez baby. The only problem being how to make the most out of things while you're channeling it, and to stay alive. So I've made this build trying to make it work:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#fQcYTg!XVe!YaccZY

For this one I've chosen Multishot-Fire at will to handle most mob situations. With the Bat and EF there shouldn't be resource problems. Not the highest DPS but very reliable and safe. Leet mobs and boss fights are where this build shines. The strategy is to Rapid fire with minimal interruption. As soon as you meet your target, lay Caltrops-Bait the trap, activate Shadow Power-Gloom, and fire away for roughly 4-5 seconds of fun, and yes you are literally 'tanking' the target during that time, afterwards EF and build up hatred for another round.

At first I was planning to exploit Rapid fire with highest crit% possible, then I realised how Night stalker fits in perfectly (if the proc chance is good enough...can't tell at this point?). After adding Numbing traps and SP as defensive skills I realised you can be pretty much invincible for a few seconds. Lastly I picked Rapid fire as hatred generator, there's no more skill slot for Vault etc. Doesn't seem to cope well with Bait the trap at first glance, but when you think of it you'd rather unload hatred spenders when you're baiting right? Archery, Numbing traps are inter-changable with sharpshooter, depending on you weapon of choice and Level difficulty :)

What's your thought on Rapid Fire?
Edited by Babydoll#1167 on 5/1/2012 11:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Seems ok, you might have some problems with fire immune mobs in the higher difficulties and I dont think you need the trap passive, something else would be more valuable. Personally I hate rapid fire because you have to be planted to be using it, but there is no denying its a good skill from what we can see at least on normal.
Reply Quote
Sounds good

You may get more hatred from MfD-Mortal Enemy than you would from bat companion while you are using rapid fire, just a thought if you find yourself running out of hatred against single targets.
Reply Quote
@Unbound yea immune mobs are going to be royal pain like before, Multishot is lightning speced, so the build covers 2 elements. GG if the leet/boss is fire+lightning immune lol. But it's too soon to tell at this stage IMO? I think numbing trap is a crucial skill post Nightmare, I believe it is a must to invest at least 1 defensive passive for every build across all classes. Survivability far outweighs damage output as game progresses. Besides if you have both ST and SP on you take only 10% or 26.25% damage (depends on how the games work, can't tell for now?), that probably makes you tough enough to go head on against ranged hell+ enemies.

@Fellspar I've read a thread mentioning that Mortal Enemy doesn't proc from every shot fired from Rapid Fire, sorry I cannot find that particular link, but it's kinda confirmed that Rapid fire procs against your weapon speed instead of the projectiles itself. Hence Bat companion over MoD.
Reply Quote
05/02/2012 02:38 AMPosted by Babydoll
I think numbing trap is a crucial skill post Nightmare

Agreed
Reply Quote

You may get more hatred from MfD-Mortal Enemy than you would from bat companion while you are using rapid fire, just a thought if you find yourself running out of hatred against single targets.

No, you won't. On hit procs do not proc on each rapid fire hit.

Also - shadow power suuuuuuuuuuuucks. There is no reason to have it in any build whatsoever.
Reply Quote
05/01/2012 11:44 PMPosted by Unbound
Seems ok, you might have some problems with fire immune mobs in the higher difficulties
There wont be anything immune to anything in hell/inferno just things really resistant.
Reply Quote
05/02/2012 08:08 AMPosted by Dueces
There wont be anything immune to anything in hell/inferno just things really resistant.

Blizzard's quote is that there won't be any complete immunities, just single-school immunities. Whatever that means. Could still be seeing "fire immune" on mobs.
Reply Quote
as said above, get rid of shadow power, smokescreen/marked for death would fit better in this build. and yes there will be single school immunities, including physical (is the general consensus atm)
Edited by Alucard#1131 on 5/2/2012 8:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the clarifications and feedback guys!

I know SP is inferior compared to Vault and SS by itself, it's Gloom that I want to exploit in this build. Rapid fire requires channeling, defense mechanisms that involve high mobility might not be the optimal choice here. SP+Gloom on the other hand fits in very well, along with Numbing trap you are almost invulnerable for 3-4.5 secs. I'm not a greedy person 3-4 secs of Rapid fire is good enough for me hehe. Disengage after that for a few secs to regenerate Hatred, and if Night Stalker does what it says, there should be enough discipline before unloading another volley of Bombardments.

Also its gonna be fun when bosses dish out whatever crap to you and you just turn everything on, heads up against it and bombard it with grenades while yelling "muaHAHAAHAHHA" in IRC or whatever. ...Gee I think I'm way too hyped.
Reply Quote
youd be taking 26.25% since you were unsure above. the targets of your traps would hit at 75% damage and 65% of that would be absorbed leaving you at the 26.25% and not the 10%
Edited by Alucard#1131 on 5/2/2012 9:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@ babydoll and asarii
It's true that you aren't getting a proc on every hit but you are still getting a proc at your weapon speed, which is almost certainly going to be more than once per second effectively cutting the channeling cost of rapid fire by 30% and has the added bonus of increasing dam by 12%. It wouldn't be as useful as bat when taking out groups of mobs, but for single targets it would be better, especially if he has a high attack speed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]