Diablo® III

Caltrops vs Smoke Screen

Everyone I seem to come across here seems to mention Smoke Screen so much that they actually believe it to be the superior choice.

I'm just curious, apart from perhaps pvp or ranged enemies, or getting trapped in a corner without vault as to why it would be more suitable. I myself prefer caltrops, something about getting a slow effect (with enhanced slow, possible stun, increased damage or crit) makes me think of it as superior to Smoke screen (apart from perhaps choking gas @ L59 and perhaps the bonus move speed).

Though my biggest problem with it, is without caltrops you would likely have to choose Entangling shot for most fights or evasive fire. Because once you get 1-3 seconds away from mobs, what is preventing them from closing the gap on you again without the cool-down up? I myself just think evasive fire won't be optimal for damage and more for people who want to just play lazy.

Then again i'm sure i'm choosing vault for a movement buff can circumvent some of that, but without an AOE slow I think the DH will suffer especially in solo or small groups.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
I'm not entirely sure how the invisibility mechanic works in diablo so i can't say much on that end

But what i can say is caltrops are extremely useful and i plan on running them in my build along with Entangling shot w/ chain gang
Reply Quote
I believe it is somewhat of a phasing movement, you can be hit when you are invisible (I don't think it brings you out of it until your cooldown is over) but at the same time mobs and npc's would stop moving and you could choose to walk through them.

I like chain-gang but I would rather finish off mobs with something that hits harder like hungering arrow w/ puncturing, shatter or bola shot w/ extended range for leveling personally.
Reply Quote
i think people like it because you can still attack while smoke screened.. makes it easy to set up certain skills like rain of vengeance..
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#fcQXhT!cea!bZacbZ

Caltrops is not nearly the get out of jail free card that smoke screen is. Teleporters, casters and ranged mobs were always scarier to me in D2 than melee and caltrops do nothing to them. It just isn't as versatile (as the discipline cost shows)

I'm in love with the Fan of Knives skill since it hits so hard with low cooldown and AoE slow. With the bonus range it should hit a decent area. Since slows do not stack, caltrops didn't make sense to add. Running that, evasive fire and web shot should give me enough slows and mobility, so smoke screen seemed like the superior choice.

If I was running hungering arrow over evasive fire, I would definitely pick up caltrops over fan of knives for the more lasting slow, but I think it would lower the dps and mobility.
Edited by Direwolf#1308 on 4/29/2012 11:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I prefer caltrops to smokescreen because it provides more utility than smokescreen. Plus, with properly used caltrops, you shouldn't need to escape.
Reply Quote
04/30/2012 12:15 AMPosted by Evilrake
I prefer caltrops to smokescreen because it provides more utility than smokescreen. Plus, with properly used caltrops, you shouldn't need to escape.

Unless, you know, they just shoot you in the face. Caltrops = slow melee creeps. Smoke screen = mobility, dropping agro, setting up combos against ANY kind of creep.

Frost arrow, chain gang, and fan of knives can all do caltrops' job. Frost arrow gives an elemental type damage vs physical immunes, chain gang generates hatred and fan of knives deals big AoE damage. There isn't a substitute for Smoke Screen.
Reply Quote
smoke screen makes you immune to damage
Reply Quote
Smoke Screen can also be used while CC'ed. SS in combination with Preparation (Battle Scars) will be really handy in Inferno.
Edited by Krytical#1223 on 4/30/2012 1:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Smoke Screen:
- breaks CC.
- Makes you Invisible.
- Makes you immune to damage.
- Also move speed if you grab the passive skill.

If you fight mobs with certain affixes (waller, jailer, etc) or certain combos (such as teleport+nightmare), you'll be stuck in CC regardless of your kiting capability. Smoke screen is the only way out of those.

Smoke screen is basically the most OP ability in game now. Doesn't make sense for anyone to not use it, unless the game turns out way too easy.
Reply Quote
Compared side to side, smoke screen kills it. When looking at an overall package though, it gets more complicated.

If you dont have any other snares, you are gonna get swarmed and swarmed badly. This will mean constant use of smoke screen and its high discipline cost. For hard packs this could likely mean death. On the other hand if you are playing in a group that has a lot of snare or gets most of the enemy attention, you dont really need it.

Its all about making a balanced package or building for your situation.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
im hc and i think with that im going invis
so i can teleport back to town quick if imma die
Reply Quote
04/30/2012 12:45 AMPosted by Ash

Unless, you know, they just shoot you in the face. Caltrops = slow melee creeps. Smoke screen = mobility, dropping agro, setting up combos against ANY kind of creep.

Frost arrow, chain gang, and fan of knives can all do caltrops' job. Frost arrow gives an elemental type damage vs physical immunes, chain gang generates hatred and fan of knives deals big AoE damage. There isn't a substitute for Smoke Screen.

Didn't say you'd be immune to damage. It'll just be significantly easier to deal with melee combat with caltrops, and you can pick off the ranged guys with a good build and gear. And everything you listed doesn't slow nearly as well as caltrops, and doesn't cost discipline.

I didn't think smokescreen was very hyped, but everyone here seems to be in love with it so I'm just gonna go against the grain (not for going's sake, however) and say 'overhyped'.
Reply Quote
I don't like either, get vault and entangling shot and make the game more fun.
Reply Quote
I'm surprised this comparison is even being made... They each function differently. I'd understand if it were a matter of Caltrops vs Entangling Shot vs Elemental (Frost) Arrow or something since they're all snares, but Caltrops vs SS is snare vs escape. Both have their uses and could even be used together.

It should be noted, however, that while SS is great, the discipline cost is still going to make it something of a limited-use ability (without Prep).
Reply Quote
smoke screen for hc http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aeXkVl!bfe!aaZcba
Reply Quote
This will be my Inferno build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aZYXQV!Yea!aZacab

Smoke Screen + Tactical advantage provide a fool-proof escape mechanism. Preparation + Battle Scars for when !@#$ really hits the fan.

Caltrops + Choking Gas from Smoke Screen adds some really good synergy when you get mobbed by melee NPCs. It hits as hard as Rain of Vengeance, we'll have to wait and see how big the AoE is.
Edited by Krytical#1223 on 4/30/2012 2:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I prefer Caltrops. I like the playstyle more, and with Cull the Weak + other passsives when vaulting to +10yd range(steady aim), you get +35% dmg to that mob that was just in your face.

Just my playstyle-> why run/hide/reposition and you can slow/jump back and unload :)

SS is a great skill though, don't get me wrong!

Edit: Also the Disc cost is very different.
Edited by XxDHxX#1676 on 5/1/2012 8:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]