Diablo® III

What was Tyrael doing in Tal Rasha's tomb?

He might have answered it in Diablo II but I don't remember. How did Tyrael know to go to Tal Rasha's tomb? Did someone tip him off to the fact that Wanderer was going to free his brother? Suspicious.
Reply Quote
Yes, he kind of already knew since that was pretty much the only reason he'd be traveling East in the first place. Otherwise, he'd have gone straight to Mount Arreat.

And to answer any follow-up questions, Tyrael formed the Horadrim in the first place to bind the Prime Evils to the soulstones to imprison them and bury them were they were in D2 so he's well aware of where each Brother is imprisoned.

Last point, the ending video for Act 2 in D2 takes place either as you're fighting Duriel or right before you fight Duriel. That's why he's already in the tomb when you get there.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the answer abeer but I might have asked my question poorly. How did TYRAEL know the wanderer was even out and about?
Reply Quote
OHHH, lol. My bad, I interpreted the question incorrectly...I'm not sure if there's a solid answer available because its never been addressed to my knowledge.

But I'd cough it up to Tyrael trying to keep a watchful eye over humankind since neither angels nor demons are supposed to have interfered with the path of human progression.

I guess the same could be asked about how did Tyrael know about the Dark Exile in the first place. I leave it to Tyrael just 'checking in' on Sanctuary from time to time to make sure the Burning Hells aren't up to something.

Either that or he felt something trigger when Diablo's soulstone was transferred to the Wanderer's body?
Reply Quote
Also, a cool thing:

When trying to imprison Baal within the amber soulstone, the sheer destructive power of his essence damaged the soul stone. This led the Horadrim to belive that it wouldn't contain his spirit forever. Thus, Tal Rasha, one of the most powerful of the group, offered himself up to battle the demon forever. They buried him deep within the tombs in the Canyon of the Magi, to eternally struggle with the demon.

Poor bastard. That is who you see in the Act 3 cinematic. When Marius (dumbass) pulls the stone from his chest, he essentially frees Baal from imprisonment.

As for Tyreal, i suppose hes just got good timing.
Reply Quote
04/30/2012 06:25 PMPosted by Gunnar
When trying to imprison Baal within the amber soulstone, the sheer destructive power of his essence damaged the soul stone

I'm just nitpicking here, but according to Book of Cain, Baal actually "hurled a devastating spell at Tal Rasha, shattering the Amber Soulstone."

But it also says there is controversy about how the stone was shattered, stating that Zoltun Kulle was unable to properly handle the stone in battle.. This goes onto something else not related to the OP so I'll leave it at that.
Reply Quote
04/30/2012 04:13 PMPosted by Abeer
Last point, the ending video for Act 2 in D2 takes place either as you're fighting Duriel or right before you fight Duriel. That's why he's already in the tomb when you get there.

Nope, Tyrael was still there because Baal and Diablo locked him within the chamber, summoning Durial to guard the entrance.
Edited by TheMiracle#1113 on 5/2/2012 8:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Wait, i might enlighten you with some interesting lore:
In fact, Izual was the one who betrayed the high heavens by telling the burning hells the plan of Tyrael of using the soulstones to imprision the Great evils onto the sanctuary. Thats the very reason why he was imprisoned withing a Demon's body, which we can talk to while we are in the pandemonium fortress.
So you could say that Tyrael already knew that Diablo would be chasing his Brothers since the end of Diablo 1, when the hero carve his soulstone onto his own forehead. It was just a matter of time before Diablo would come to release his brothers.
Also, i would say that Diablo knew that Tyrael would be there in the chamber, to prevent him from releasing his brother, and THAT is the reason why he brought Marius with him. He knew that Marius would be the perfect tool to release Baal while Diablo would "take care" of Tyrael.
Have you ever thought on the real reason why Diablo choose a poor man to follow him along all his way to the East? Thats the reason.
Reply Quote
If I had to give a guess, the Dark Wanderer was human enough to shield Diablo's presence from Heaven while he walked Sanctuary, though the Angels would still be able to sense him, like a fart in the wind. You know something stinks, you just can't tell where its coming from.

Prior to that, Diablo was deep beneath Tristram, technically in Hell, so it makes sense that he would not have drawn the attention to the Angels during the first game. It's when the Warrior jabbed the Soulstone into his forehead to contain Diablo that things started going awry. During the Dark Wanderer's journey, he grew less and less human, making it easier for the angels to sense his power.

Tyrael's appearance in the Tomb of Tal Rasha was no doubt an attempt on his part to pre-emptively stop Diablo from doing what he suspected Diablo was going to do all along; free his brothers.
Reply Quote
and THAT is the reason why he brought Marius with him. He knew that Marius would be the perfect tool to release Baal while Diablo would "take care" of Tyrael.
Have you ever thought on the real reason why Diablo choose a poor man to follow him along all his way to the East? Thats the reason.

Nope, they didnt know Tyrael would be there.
Diablo choose Marius to follow him only to get information in the cities they pass by. Because as diablo takes control of the wanderer, his body progressively transforms into a demoniac form, so it would call too much attention from the people in the cities.

It is written in Diablo 2's manual!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
For starters, keep in mind that many of the details from the previous games have been retconed for Diablo 3. Tyrael presumably kept an eye on events relating to the Horadrim and the prime evils. He came to Tal Rasha's tomb to prevent Baal crom being freed.

While it is true that it was Izual who betrayed Tyrael's plans to hell, this actually preceded the dark exile. In D2, he claims that based on his betrayal, the lords of hell orchestrated their own exile. Keep in mind as well that it was Tyrael who forged Azurewrath, the sword that inspired Izual to assault the hellforge and be captured in the first place. And now we know that the futures of angels can be read by the Angiris Council...
Reply Quote
04/30/2012 07:50 PMPosted by Citiant
When trying to imprison Baal within the amber soulstone, the sheer destructive power of his essence damaged the soul stone

I'm just nitpicking here, but according to Book of Cain, Baal actually "hurled a devastating spell at Tal Rasha, shattering the Amber Soulstone."

But it also says there is controversy about how the stone was shattered, stating that Zoltun Kulle was unable to properly handle the stone in battle.. This goes onto something else not related to the OP so I'll leave it at that.

Yussur, i was going off memory, so i re-read it.
Reply Quote
For starters, keep in mind that many of the details from the previous games have been retconed for Diablo 3. Tyrael presumably kept an eye on events relating to the Horadrim and the prime evils. He came to Tal Rasha's tomb to prevent Baal crom being freed.

While it is true that it was Izual who betrayed Tyrael's plans to hell, this actually preceded the dark exile. In D2, he claims that based on his betrayal, the lords of hell orchestrated their own exile. Keep in mind as well that it was Tyrael who forged Azurewrath, the sword that inspired Izual to assault the hellforge and be captured in the first place. And now we know that the futures of angels can be read by the Angiris Council...

Damn good point sir. At some point i'm waiting for m night shyamalan to come out and give us a twist in the lore lol.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
nah, i might be wrong about the reason why Diablo has chosen Marius to follow him, but it actually will never change the fact why Tyrael was in the chanbem in the first place: to prevent Diablo from freeing his brother.
But it was nice that u brought that point TheMiracle.
Reply Quote
nah, i might be wrong about the reason why Diablo has chosen Marius to follow him, but it actually will never change the fact why Tyrael was in the chanbem in the first place: to prevent Diablo from freeing his brother.
But it was nice that u brought that point TheMiracle.

Yes, tyrael was there to prevent diablo fom freeing Baal.
But the reason he was still there when you arrive, is because Baal locked him within the chamber.

This is what Tyrael says when you find him after killing Duriel:
"I thank you, mortal, for my freedom. But I did expect you earlier. I am the Archangel Tyrael. I came here to prevent Diablo from freeing his brother, Baal. But I have failed. Now, Terror and Destruction roam free throughout your world. Even now, they head towards the Eastern capital of Kurast - to the very heart of the Zakarum Temple. There they hope to find their eldest brother, Mephisto, the Lord of Hatred who was imprisoned there ages ago. If the three Prime Evils unite, they will be invincible. Though it is unclear as to what their aims are, it is certain that they must be stopped at all costs. I am broken and the energies that tie me to this world are diminishing rapidly. You must take up this quest and prevent the Three Brothers from reuniting. You must cross the sea and search for Diablo and Baal in Kurast. Now hurry, mortal... Time is running out for all of us!"
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
hmmm so they never told us why and HOW tyrael was imprisoned there?
The horradrim Tal Rasha used his own body to imprison Baal, since his soulstone was broken, but what about Tyrael? Maybe Diablo sent Duriel to Lock them there, and protect the chamber until the return of the Big D?
Reply Quote
But the reason he was still there when you arrive, is because Baal locked him within the chamber.

"I thank you, mortal, for my freedom. But I did expect you earlier. I am the Archangel Tyrael. I came here to prevent Diablo from freeing his brother, Baal. But I have failed. Now, Terror and Destruction roam free throughout your world. Even now, they head towards the Eastern capital of Kurast - to the very heart of the Zakarum Temple. There they hope to find their eldest brother, Mephisto, the Lord of Hatred who was imprisoned there ages ago. If the three Prime Evils unite, they will be invincible. Though it is unclear as to what their aims are, it is certain that they must be stopped at all costs. I am broken and the energies that tie me to this world are diminishing rapidly. You must take up this quest and prevent the Three Brothers from reuniting. You must cross the sea and search for Diablo and Baal in Kurast. Now hurry, mortal... Time is running out for all of us!"

I'm failing to find any explanation anywhere to credit the claim that Tyrael was actually locked down there. I'm pretty sure my original statement holds that Tyrael was just battered from fighting Baal and Diablo on his own and Duriel was guarding the entrance in expectation of the Heroes' imminent arrival.
Reply Quote

I'm failing to find any explanation anywhere to credit the claim that Tyrael was actually locked down there. I'm pretty sure my original statement holds that Tyrael was just battered from fighting Baal and Diablo on his own and Duriel was guarding the entrance in expectation of the Heroes' imminent arrival.

"I thank you, mortal, for my freedom" does kind of suggest that he was not in fact free to leave. Also, this was the room where mages had bound Baal/Tal Rasha. If they had him bound, then it is possibile that Diablo and Baal could use the bindings (be they spells or enchanted physical objects) to bind Tyreal as well? I would think so personally.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
I think Tyrael was in fact locked down there. When Marius took the yellow soulstone from the chest of Tal Rasha, he set Baal free, and then, Tyrael would Need To fight both Baal and Diablo togheter. So he sent Marius immediatly out there, to destroy the soulstone but kept fighting the 2 of them. Knowing that this would be and endless battle and that eventually the heroe (you) would come to Tyrael's aid, Diablo and Baal decided to Lock Him down there, so that they could complete their final task: set Mefisto free.
Reply Quote
Direct me to a topic or answer if it has been already answered. But at the ending of D2 with the sword throw what was that all about? Been a really long time since playing d2 and cannot find my old cds for it. Any explation would be awesome
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]