Diablo® III

Anyone else worried about DH in hell/inferno?

I am pretty stoked to play a demon hunter, but I am kind of worried at the same time. I get to thinking of champion packs with mods like "extra fast" and "teleporter" and "waller" and "nightmarish" and I'm at a loss with what a demon hunter can do against some of this stuff. What about a champion pack that has 2 of those? 3 of those? All of those? What will the demon hunter do? Vault away? Put down a caltrop? Then what? Die, probably.

I'm thinking a lot of us are going to have to pick up something like tortuous ground, to lock our enemies in place, and shadow power with good life steal. Some abilities seem so nice, like chakram for example, but sometimes it just didn't work due to near by walls and such.

I guess I can't say too much before the game is actually out, but to me it seems that abilites like the wizards "frost nova" and the barbs "ground stomp" seem so strong, that the demon hunter should have one.
Reply Quote
05/02/2012 12:03 AMPosted by Fulltilt
smokescreen pew pew

This. I have a feeling Smoke Screen + Preparation (with Battle Scars) will come really handy in the harder content.
Reply Quote
A little worried that it'll be too easy because of smoke screen. I'm still playing DH anyways.
Reply Quote
I. think you are vastly underestimating a DH's survivability tools, and vastly overvaluing some of the other classes (mages, specifically). Frankly, I see the DH actually having the easiest time in Inferno at release (barring any severe nerfs to roots and snares at that difficulty). Every other class is going to be forced to tank the damage, except us.... That said, our survivability is almost entirely ability based, so even if we out gear it, we will still have to try, as compared to the other classes (I can't see how Inferno won't become trivial for a summoner WD, the second his gear is strong enough that his pets don't get mauled, for example)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
From what I've heard, smoke screen can be used while stunned or CC'd (hopefully during fear) which would make it extremely OP.
Edited by Nitro#1895 on 5/2/2012 2:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/02/2012 02:08 AMPosted by Archõn
From what I've heard, smoke screen can be used while stunned or CC'd (hopefully during fear) which would make it extremely OP.

This is correct, in beta if you got CC'd, just pop smokescreen and you were good to go. I remember specifically using it to cancel fear.

Smokescreen will be very effective endgame.
Reply Quote
No worries here OP. Each class will have their own challenges to overcome.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 5/2/2012 7:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Yup I don't foresee any serious problems. I suspect Demon Hunter will be one of the easier classes on higher difficulties due to our mobility, life stealing options, and high damage AEs. Also the dual resource system is very powerful for those who use it intelligently.
Reply Quote
Blizzard also mentioned that they don't expect any combination of affixes to be impossible to beat, and if it seems like it is impossible, then they will patch it up. No worries. More hizzies and pew pew, less 1 h hxbows and qq.
Reply Quote
nope, and its supposed to be hard so i hope it is difficult.
Edited by Alucard#1131 on 5/2/2012 9:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Smoke Screen (Lingering Fog) + Preparation (Battle Scars) = OH !@#$ button
Reply Quote
trick is, get in a 2-4 player game and get your partners to soak up the damage. If you're !@#$ed, smokescreen and portal ;) haha.
Reply Quote
@ JuGG
lol, you're an @$$ ;)
Reply Quote
Who needs other players? The DH has all the tools it needs. Not worried in the least about surviving in Inferno compared to any other class. I'll take avoiding damage over reducing it any day.
Reply Quote
@ JuGG
lol, you're an @$$ ;)

It will be a ton of peoples go-to in Hardcore, mark my words! :)
Reply Quote
05/02/2012 10:00 AMPosted by LtShaft
Who needs other players? The DH has all the tools it needs. Not worried in the least about surviving in Inferno compared to any other class. I'll take avoiding damage over reducing it any day.

More players, better items.. but same exp and will likely take a little longer. It's a toss-up really.
Reply Quote
05/02/2012 06:58 AMPosted by RedCell
Smokescreen will be very effective endgame.

That plus a lot of effective defensive skills, actually I am quite confident with DH's defenses.

RoV+flying strike's a free AoE stun with 30s cooldown; here's your Frost Nova in DH style ;)

Vault+rattling roll is awesome.

Smokescreen obviously.

Numbing traps and Sentry+guardian turret, babas, monks and WD's little Pokemon friends are going to love you for those.

Numbing traps+Shadow power+gloom: I know everyone hated SP somehow, but if you ever want to see a 'tanking' or a melee/closer ranged DH, this combo is an almost must. Gives you near invulnerability for a brief time.

Thrill of the hunt, a very underrated passive, at least to me, it's a lot more useful in a lot of situations than one could imagine. Best served with Multishot.

Plus all those slows and stuns etc, I think DH is excellent defensively, especially when it comes to keeping mobs at range.
Reply Quote
05/02/2012 10:06 AMPosted by JuGG
More players, better items

^Source?

From what I gather, the shared mf mechanic will benefit some but hurt others (i.e., there is no intrinsic benefit, item wise, to multiplayer).

I know that in D2 such an intrinsic benefit did exist. More players in a game did improve the drop rate simply by virtue of them being in the game, provided that they were within a certain distance of the action. However, such is not the case in D3. That is why there are a ton of posters in the general discussion QQing about how there's no incentive for multiplayer.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 5/2/2012 11:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
haha jugg, i can definitely see alot of ppl doing that in hardcore.
Edited by Alucard#1131 on 5/2/2012 11:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]