Diablo® III

Short Story: Unyielding - monk misconception?

Just finished reading the Monk short story Unyielding. Good story. Plenty of action. It also brought up some interesting philosophical dilemma.

Though I was also kind of confusing (or disappointed) initially. While the game's artwork / design of monk was based on the Buddism monks (Chinese or Japanese branch), none of the concepts / principles of monk in the story are anything close to that of the Buddism counterpart. Of course, the Ivgorod monk is totally fictitious, so I do not use the word "wrong" to describe it. With this in mind, I finished the reading and it is all good. Yet, I think I would better point this out here in case someone do not have much idea what the real Buddism is and got some wrong impression from the story.

- the Ivgorod monk talks about "balance" throughout the whole story. Buddism do not talk about balance. Instead, its main concepts are "karma", "rebirth", etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism#Buddhist_concepts ; the religion / philosophy that talks about balance is the Chinese Tao: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao

- the Ivgorod monk need to have total obedience to their Patriachs' order and carry out duty for them irrespective of nature of it. Buddism does not really works this way. Buddism monks have their own study and duty in the individual temple and do not need to follow order of any religious leader. Ironically, Roman Christianity's Pope and Bishops have more resemblence.

- the Ivgorod Patriachs are the representatives of their gods and monks instrument to carry out god's duty. Muslim has similar concept. Definitely not Buddism.

Again, since the Ivgorod monk is totally fictitious, I am not complaining or such. It just amuses me that while visual setting of the art of Diablo 3 monk was based on Buddism monk, the background of Ivgorod monk was a combination of different religions except Buddism! lol
Edited by Wakeman#1773 on 4/30/2012 10:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
the patriarchs are supposed to be infallible, like the pope is supposed to be. So that could lead to all kinds of corruption.
Reply Quote
Interesting post, OP. +1!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the point of the story that the main character (forgot his name) was that he was right to struggle internally with the instructions that were given to him? So in a way, wasn't he practicing the traditional way of Buddhism thinking all along and that is what allowed him to discover the truth about his master and the 'renegade' Patriarch?

Or am I heavily mixing things up?? Thanks in advance for any clarification and my apologies for any mistakes I've made.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Hes just a monk dude, not the Dalai Lama
Reply Quote
they're loosely based on Shaolin monks and the connection between the two is more of their image than their political belief. It's not much different than the Paladins in D2 compared to Christian holy warriors, with obvious differences between the two.
Reply Quote
Interesting post, OP. +1!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the point of the story that the main character (forgot his name) was that he was right to struggle internally with the instructions that were given to him? So in a way, wasn't he practicing the traditional way of Buddhism thinking all along and that is what allowed him to discover the truth about his master and the 'renegade' Patriarch?

Or am I heavily mixing things up?? Thanks in advance for any clarification and my apologies for any mistakes I've made.

You have a point. I am no expert at religions so feel free to discuss anything you come up with.

Indeed, seeing the truth through self-realisation is one of the Buddism ways to achieve enlightenment. So the story included some Buddism element afterall.
Reply Quote
For the most part the Monk is aesthetically and lore wise more like the Slavic Monks. The combat is the ties to shaolin monks.

Edit: To further clarify its really a blend of the 2 with 'unique' elements tossed in for flavor.
Edited by Aisriyth#1344 on 5/4/2012 4:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Slavic Monks? I don't know much about them so no comment.

As for Shaolin monks, allow me to make a clarification. Shaolin monks are monks from the famous Chinese Buddist monastery called Shaolin Monastery. The monastery is most well-known for their monks' practice of martial art, Shaolin Kung-Fu. Yet they also follow the teaching of Chinese branch of Buddism and is no different from that of other Chinese Buddist temples / monasteries in term of religion philosophy.
Edited by Wakeman#1773 on 5/4/2012 9:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not super familiar with all the various forms of monasticism, so forgive me if I'm confusing facts, but I think Aisriyth might be referring to the more traditional East Orthodox Monasticism in Catholicism.

As far as I ever understood it (dating way back to high school euro history) the monks would take a hierarchy of vows which included one of stability, chastity, obedience and poverty. He may have been trying to state that these vows, mixed with the Shaolin Monastery's mastery of Shaolin Kung-Fu, is what our D3 Monk is comprised of?

Just my 2 SoJs, ;P
Reply Quote
I found it interesting that in the story they refer to the pursuit of "balance" (as mentioned by the OP) when that is also the ideal of the Priests of Rathma (or Necromancers to the laymen). Intriguing...of course the Priests of Rathma look for and enforce the balance between life and death whereas the monks seem a lot more general in their "balance" but...still interesting. In my head at least...
Reply Quote
I bet Ivgorod monk's pursuit of balance is based on the Chinese religion Tao whose teaching emphasizes the balance of "Yin Yang" (negative and positive ) in everything. Though it is hard to tell whether they borrowed it intentionally, or mistook it was a Buddism concept. lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yinyang
Yin is characterized as slow, soft, yielding, diffuse, cold, wet, and passive; and is associated with water, earth, the moon, femininity and nighttime.

Yang, by contrast, is fast, hard, solid, focused, hot, dry, and aggressive; and is associated with fire, sky, the sun, masculinity and daytime.
Edited by Wakeman#1773 on 5/7/2012 7:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The Monks were designed to combine aspects of both far eastern monks (buddhism, shaolin, etc) as well as eastern orthodox christianity (russian, slavic, greek, etc).

Eastern Orthodoxy is different from Catholicism... they split about 1000 years ago. One of the doctrinal differences was the Trinitarian question of whether the Holy Spirit proceeds from both the Father and the Son (as the Catholics argued), or only from the Father (as the Eastern Orthodox held). That may not sound like a big deal today, but it actually was considered a fairly important distinction.

Incidentally, though I am a reformed baptist, I think the Catholics got that one correct.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]